Bourbon, Rye and American Whiskey

Soldato
OP
Next one up, the Johnny Drum.

Bit milder then the Yellowstone select, bit of a plain jane.

Not quite the burn but also not quite the flavour.

Still perfectly acceptable, I'd put it on par with your Buffalo Trace/Wild Turkey.

Soldato
OP
Working my way through a bottle of Bulleit at the moment and its one of the nicer ones that I have tried, I will buy this again!

Yea Bulleit is one of my favourites.

Shows with Bourbon you don't need to spend big to get a nice one, in fact in my experience some of the more expensive ones are not that great.

Soldato
Yea Bulleit is one of my favourites.

Shows with Bourbon you don't need to spend big to get a nice one, in fact in my experience some of the more expensive ones are not that great.
Like you say the expensive one you have was 'Rough as a robbers dog' lol
Drunk Makers Mark over Christmas and was not a fan, Not buying it again and was glad when the bottle was gone!

Soldato
OP
Like you say the expensive one you have was 'Rough as a robbers dog' lol
Drunk Makers Mark over Christmas and was not a fan, Not buying it again and was glad when the bottle was gone!

I have had some that are good, probably the best I ever tried was Jefferson very small batch, normally about £50 I had two bottles, which I paid about £35 quid for each.

You can't get it anymore.

Another thing I've found are some Bourbons tend to not be around for very long, more obscure ones, there are several on the list (first post in this thread) that you just won't be able to buy easily, even though they were never particularly rare/expensive, I think the distilleries must go bust or get bought out.

pre

pre

Associate
Another thing I've found are some Bourbons tend to not be around for very long, more obscure ones, there are several on the list (first post in this thread) that you just won't be able to buy easily, even though they were never particularly rare/expensive, I think the distilleries must go bust or get bought out.

Are ghost distilleries a thing?

Associate
Just spotted my local Costco has started selling Buffalo Trace 70cl for 14.99, so under 18 quids with vat added. Don't think I've ever seen it cheaper, at least not recently.

Soldato
Just check if it is the US one too which is bottled at 45% ABV - also the Costco own brand Bourbon is meant to be decent too.

Do they bottle it somewhere else as well then?

Got a bottle of JD legacy edition currently which was only £19 or so, doesn’t seem as good as I remember, prefer it more as a mixer. Out of Makers Mark and Bulleit, prefer the latter a lot more.

Soldato
Do they bottle it somewhere else as well then?

Got a bottle of JD legacy edition currently which was only £19 or so, doesn’t seem as good as I remember, prefer it more as a mixer. Out of Makers Mark and Bulleit, prefer the latter a lot more.

It's bottled in the US but the bottling for the UK is lower ABV.

The Costco Bourbon is made by Barton 1792:

Soldato
OP
Tried a new one to me, Woodford Reserve Double Oaked.

Now going by the list, I usually find the more premium versions are worse than standard, even more so when you factor the cost.

Wild Turkey 101 for example is pretty vile, premium Bulleit and Makers Mark all worse than regular.

This one isn't cheap at £55 at normal price, I got it for £42 on a clubcard offer, which is still a lot.

So was it worth the cost?

I'm not sure, but surprisingly and going against the grain of most other premium versions, this one is actually really bloody good.

If I'm honest, double Oaked is also double the cost, and I think I'd rather just have two bottles of standard Woodford, but unlike some of the other let downs I've had, I don't feel hard done by with this one.

Soldato
OP
Last one of those four I got towards the end of last year, G&W Private Stock.

This one isn't that great, quite thin tasting, bit of a kick as well.

It's "bottled" in New Jersey, so I suspect it's random **** mixed together and I suspect a cheap bottle in the States, with the import mark up applied to get it here. Was about £30 here.

Not the first I've had like this actually, but it's the risk you take getting random ones.

Soldato
Got a few bottles from Master of Malt recently including Jack Daniels Bonded Rye, one I've not tried yet, also got a free sample of Widow Jane Rye Mash, quite pleased with that as its bottled in Brooklyn NYC, somewhere Ive visited a lot from family connections. Checked the prices and this stuff is not cheap even in the states.

I'm getting back into gin more at the moment though, my other bottle was Edinburgh Gin Cannonball, I love the Navy strength stuff!:D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom