Bourbon, Rye and American Whiskey

Soldato
OP
I don't get all the rage for ER in all honesty
Remember the time it dropped to just over 20 a bottle, I grabbed a handfull at that price haha

Yeah I agree taste of course is subjective and obviously I am glad he is enjoying it, but didn't do anything for me either thought it was well overrated and expensive for what it is, nothing wrong with it as such just found it bland.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
With duty on whisky increasing by 10.1% in August it might be advisable to stock up on a few bottles of any favourite whisky people have.

I am surprised Bourbon hasn't gone up already.

Given everything going on, inflation etc bourbon really anymore expensive than it was 5 years ago, when factoring inflation.

I was talking to a chap who lives in the states and he reckons he pays about £35 USD for a bottle of markers mark, which in interesting because you can regularly get that here for low 20's in pounds, doing the exchange rate as of today its about the same if not marginally cheaper here, which makes no sense really.

But yes I will wait for the next good offer to go on markers mark or bulleit as these two tend to be my favourite "regular drinkers" and grab a few. I still do have several bottles here though including a bottle of Longbranch.

Soldato
OP
For sure, I’ve tried loads of them, but personally I find some of cheaper stuff very nice.

I’ve tried Mitchers, and Slipknot No9 which the latter is very very nice.
Also have a bottle of Blantons Gold in the cupboard.
Just can’t afford them prices all the time with my drinking habit, lol.

To be honest, with the exception of the odd one, I most of the time don't like the more expensive ones as much as just standard makers mark, bullet, woodford, can't go wrong and often just over £20.

Soldato
OP
Seems like ages since I posted in this thread.

New one to add to the list: Jack Daniels - Bonded

Packs in at 50% ABV....it's okay, bit of a burn but then 50% so.... but something like Knob Creek will do you better at a similar price point and strength.

Soldato
OP
Another one Jack Daniels Music Edition

On Amazon £25, I am pretty sure its the same stuff as the legacy editions, its 43% the same ABV, it is definitely not the standard stuff.

I bought the limited "McLaren" version in Tesco which is just the standard stuff and drank that with coke, because whilst I can drink Jack Daniels straight, I dont particularly enjoy it. I have a collection going of various JD bottles, which is the only reason I got it.

I assumed, this music edition one was the same, so drank about 2/3 of the bottle with coke as well, but upon closer inspection of the bottle (and it isnt obvious) I noted the ABV actually 43% and now drinking it straight can confirm. I feel I somewhat wasted 2/3 of this bottle now putting it in coke, but nevermind.

Soldato
OP
Makers Mark £23 @Amazon.

Decent price. Noticed some places, prices have been hiked, Sainsburys Woodford Reserve £37!

Thanks.

I need to get a few bottles only have about a quarter of a bottle of Wild Turkey left.

Week before last I did a bottle of Buffalo Trace in a week!

To be fair though this week I have not a single drink of anything.

EDIT: 2 bottles ordered, love Makers Mark basically my favourite one.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Got some new ones to try over the Xmas period, never had any of these before but I'll try them out and put them on the list in due course.

PXL-20231216-092836625.jpg

Soldato
OP
Well, first one on the list and most expensive, £53 a bottle Missouri Ridge, was given it as a gift not easy to come by apparently.

And the verdict......

Rough as a robbers dog.

Honestly it's vile, Mrs tried it and agreed as well. I normally drink straight but even with a good amount of coke it's still not great.

...and I'll quite happily drink Bells whisky with coke.

Soldato
OP
Next one up, the Johnny Drum.

Bit milder then the Yellowstone select, bit of a plain jane.

Not quite the burn but also not quite the flavour.

Still perfectly acceptable, I'd put it on par with your Buffalo Trace/Wild Turkey.

Soldato
OP
Working my way through a bottle of Bulleit at the moment and its one of the nicer ones that I have tried, I will buy this again!

Yea Bulleit is one of my favourites.

Shows with Bourbon you don't need to spend big to get a nice one, in fact in my experience some of the more expensive ones are not that great.

Soldato
OP
Like you say the expensive one you have was 'Rough as a robbers dog' lol
Drunk Makers Mark over Christmas and was not a fan, Not buying it again and was glad when the bottle was gone!

I have had some that are good, probably the best I ever tried was Jefferson very small batch, normally about £50 I had two bottles, which I paid about £35 quid for each.

You can't get it anymore.

Another thing I've found are some Bourbons tend to not be around for very long, more obscure ones, there are several on the list (first post in this thread) that you just won't be able to buy easily, even though they were never particularly rare/expensive, I think the distilleries must go bust or get bought out.

Soldato
OP
Tried a new one to me, Woodford Reserve Double Oaked.

Now going by the list, I usually find the more premium versions are worse than standard, even more so when you factor the cost.

Wild Turkey 101 for example is pretty vile, premium Bulleit and Makers Mark all worse than regular.

This one isn't cheap at £55 at normal price, I got it for £42 on a clubcard offer, which is still a lot.

So was it worth the cost?

I'm not sure, but surprisingly and going against the grain of most other premium versions, this one is actually really bloody good.

If I'm honest, double Oaked is also double the cost, and I think I'd rather just have two bottles of standard Woodford, but unlike some of the other let downs I've had, I don't feel hard done by with this one.

Soldato
OP
Last one of those four I got towards the end of last year, G&W Private Stock.

This one isn't that great, quite thin tasting, bit of a kick as well.

It's "bottled" in New Jersey, so I suspect it's random **** mixed together and I suspect a cheap bottle in the States, with the import mark up applied to get it here. Was about £30 here.

Not the first I've had like this actually, but it's the risk you take getting random ones.

Back
Top Bottom