Breaking News: Shooting on train between Amsterdam and Paris

Man of Honour
Am I the only one wondering why two US Marines were listening at a toilet on a train?

From latest updates there were no US Marines - apparently one was US National Guard recently left or on leave after tours in the middle east. One of the Americans who may have either been a civilian or active in the US air force was stabbed multiple times not shot as previously reported (EDIT: supposedly 1 person was shot but not clear who).

The people I know who have done tours out there build up an instinct for when someone is upto no good in a public space from almost sub-conscious observation of hand movements, etc. sounds like something similar in this case.

Last edited:
Soldato
^ forever ready, prepared, rigid. Hoo rah.

Guess you kind of overlooked the word "fundamentalism" in his post. That word changes the context of his whole stance even if I don't agree with what he is actually saying to the extent he is saying it.

We aren't in a world war with Islamic fundamentalism, there have only been 3 times in history most of the world has waged war, and I don't think it's anywhere near that but all the major powers are physically combatting its incarnations with the exception of Brazil. That makes it a pretty severe problem.

Islamic fundamentalism has a pernicious effect on this planet as does Christian, Jewish fundamentalism. The problem is not so much the Islam part it's the fundamentalist part - it attracts nutters. Said nutters coming from impoverished and less ethically/morally thoughtful regions is always going to have an effect that worsens things. I also personally see Islam itself as a problem. That is not to single out specifically but any thought school that encourages people to remove the onus and burden of responsibility towards something else. Now whether that is a Japanese soldier killing in WW2 in the name of the God emperor, or Serb killing Muslims in the former Yugoslavia the mind process is the same. Such processes encourage a lack of thought because the personal responsibility for one's actions is removed: my officer told me to do it, God wanted it, etc.

So no I don't agree with Scorza that there is a world war going on but I think yet again we have a problem with an ideology that takes people in its ranks through the usage of the same thought processes. Said people are causing problems globally. The answer is not to discriminate but to enlighten them imo. But this is hardly a new problem such thought patterns have been evident throughout history. Hiding our heads in the sand about challenging such thought processes won't help, neither will instantly shouting people down without giving due thought to what they are actually saying. He said fundamentalism - I hope you missed that nuance and we haven't reached the point where we can't question at all. Because when that has happened then history teaches us such thought patterns run rampant at great loss of live and humanity.

Succinct.

Caporegime
Well lucky as hell the people there were there. :p

I've been having a little think about this.

Why don't events like this happen on a daily basis ???
How easy is it to access an AK47 ? Very.
How hard would it be to drive/boat one into Europe from North Africa. Not Very.

As cliche as it is, You could fit one in a guitar case or innocuous bag.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well lucky as hell the people there were there. :p

I've been having a little think about this.

Why don't events like this happen on a daily basis ???
How easy is it to access an AK47 ? Very.
How hard would it be to drive/boat one into Europe from North Africa. Not Very.

As cliche as it is, You could fit one in a guitar case or innocuous bag.

most peopl;e who sell guns dont want to sell one to a lone wolf terropirst as it means massive police hunt for them afterwards.

brevik tried to get illegal guns but no one would sell to him so he had to use legal guns,

Soldato
Another shocking thing about this incident is it sounds like the AK47 jammed/misfired! :eek:

I mean, what's the world coming to when you can't even rely on an AK47 working properly....

On a serious note though, according to one of the servicemen his mate ran 10m to tackle this guy before knowing the gun wasn't working, I know it's training that kicks in, but what a courageous and lucky, lucky man....:cool:

Soldato
Islamic terrorism is one of the least of my worries, and it should be yours too.

Went past this on the way home yesterday....

http://www.nottinghampost.com/CRASH-HORROR/story-27653979-detail/story.html

Totally random. At midday on a Friday.

An off-duty nurse battled to save a young woman after a car ploughed into two pedestrians outside a city park.

Despite her efforts and those of other passers-by, the woman died shortly after being taken to the Queen's Medical Centre.

A male pedestrian was "seriously injured" and remained in hospital on Friday night.

A man was being held by police on suspicion of driving while under the influence of alcohol following the smash in Woodthorpe Drive, Mapperley, on Friday.

The point is, the fundamentalist mindset is one to be feared but it doesn't mean the acts will be carried out. It takes preparation with clear vision of consequence.

A drunk driver has no planning, thought and is far more common in everyday life.

Fear is dangerous.

Soldato
People in Britain are terrified they will end up in prison because they can't pay their bills or penalty charges. They live in debt slavery.
You call that the pinnacle of civilization? I call them cash cows.

Rather than religious or tribal slaves?

Soldato
These problems come about because there are generations of young men growing up in an environment of hatred, violence and poverty in the God awful mess that is the middle East, of which the Western powers are very much responsible for creating, or at least fomenting. If it wasn't under the banner of Islam, it would be something else. Islam isn't the problem.

Caporegime
Islamic terrorism is one of the least of my worries, and it should be yours too.

Went past this on the way home yesterday....

http://www.nottinghampost.com/CRASH-HORROR/story-27653979-detail/story.html

Totally random. At midday on a Friday.

The point is, the fundamentalist mindset is one to be feared but it doesn't mean the acts will be carried out. It takes preparation with clear vision of consequence.

A drunk driver has no planning, thought and is far more common in everyday life.

Fear is dangerous.

Fear is indeed dangerous, it doesn't matter how relevant the probabilities are, the media couldn't give a toss about some drunk driver, but terrorism is easy money.

Soldato
These problems come about because there are generations of young men growing up in an environment of hatred, violence and poverty in the God awful mess that is the middle East, of which the Western powers are very much responsible for creating, or at least fomenting. If it wasn't under the banner of Islam, it would be something else. Islam isn't the problem.

Ah it's completely the Wests fault again!

Associate

What if there were no banners.

Man of Honour
Any religion is fine if adhered to with common sense and taking into account the context of the times the book or writings the religion were written in, so as not to use the obviously idiotic parts.

Lopping off an appendage for theft becomes "oi numpty stop thieving and do your time"

That kind of thing can be easily applied with common sense to any of the bat-guano crazy writings in any of the holy books, after-all they were written in bat-guano crazy times.

How could they redefine jihad? they could have course take a lesson from the Jehovah's witnesses, annoying the hell out of people yes but no death and destruction, maybe the odd convert on the way.

Every religion has it's bat-guano crazy adherents but it really is quite clear that one stands out as more brutal than any others since the inquisition at this present time.

A most exceptional outcome with the train situation, hope for the speedy and as complete as can be recovery of the injured.

Back
Top Bottom