Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
are you kidding me - the EU has no equivalent, European countries spend decreasing amounts on defence and NATO was utterly reliant on the US for intervention in Libya... second to the US there is the UK and then France.

NATO isn't an old relic of the past it is the most powerful defence organisation on the planet and by a large margin... there isn't anything else to even come close

hes a troll. new member, posting blatant rubbish with fishing down as his hobby.

Soldato
Here's my stance on this whole debacle, i'm still sat on the fence, and that is the reason i did not vote, i truly didn't know what the best option would be, and i guess, that's the case for a lot of people who didn't vote, i'm not politically minded, i could however see pros and cons on both sides of the argument, albeit 'Leave' camp has since gone back on some things they promised, as may have 'remain' had they won, we'll never know.

If i had been forced to vote however, i would have 'remained', purely for the stability we had.

I'm still optimistic though, it's all we can be, we are all in this together now, we cannot be divided anymore, lets make the best of a bad situation.

Associate
So, out of interest, given the chance of another vote, what would it be?

Also, interesting to know, how many other leave voters would change their vote now?

Remain. The sheer amount of things i have since learnt since has changed my mind.

I am so much more informed now than i was before the vote for example:

The science collaboration, the medical collaboration, the northern ireland situation, the Gibraltar situation, the Scotland situation, the fact that trade deals each take years and years and we don't have those teams in place to even do them and i could go on and on and on.

It's easy for people to come out with the line 'you should have researched' but how the hell can you even begin to understand the whole picture as it is such a massive subject??

Caporegime
Fair enough but is seems logical that the rest of the EU who had a say in it, the likes of Germany etc are not incompetent when it comes to trade deals. And what ever deals that they were happy to make as a block were good for everyone within the block.

Are there any deals the eu made with other countries that were bad for the uk?

Well there are problems trying to keep 28 countries happy with an eu trade deal. The 9 year trade deal negotiations with Australia is stagnated due to Italian tomato farmers refused the terms and equally the Indian trade deal is on hold because of some country's textile industry.

Its much easier to do a trade deal as a single country as you have less people/industries to please. On the other hand you have less bargaining power.

SO I suspect some trade deals work out better for us and others worse than what we could have got on our own.

Soldato
A Brussels ban on bendy bananas is one of the EU’s most persistent myths.

Oh I'm aware of the myths. I also know that mocking the single market and it's ridiculous regulations was a cornerstone of the Leave campaign.

Now suddenly it's something that's absolutely critical we retain access to?

Man of Honour
OP
So I need to write some things down to ensure I've understood.

• The money that Norway pays in order to gain access, per capita, is the same as our EU subscription
  • Given the above, not only will we continue to pay ~£19b per annum in order to trade with the EU it will cost us more because there will be no rebates and no EU grants awarded to deprived areas
  • Also given the above, we will need to fund the thousands of individuals tasked with the updating of law, the securing and managing of trade agreements outside the EU, and we'll be trading at defecit for approx. 10 years while these agreements are bottomed out
  • It's likely that our AAA credit rating will not survive given what happened during the last recession and we're looking at the real possibility of a depression
  • None of the Leave campaigners looking like potential Cons leaders have any appetite to reduce immigration

So the only impacts we can see are likely are that the moves will cost us for decades and immigration will continue either at the level it is at the moment - or even at increased levels given some of the things said over the weekend.

Is that all about right?

Soldato
Permabanned
Can someone please explain to me this whole Scotland situation this may have been explained in the 93 pages so may have missed it.

I get Scotland want independence but if they want independence why do they then want to be have laws made to them by Brussels? Also at the moment Scotland get NHS, cheaper tuition fees than England and free prescriptions.. how does this work when there part of Great Briton? If they do leave surely will they have to have there own health system (nhs) would there scottish pound actually be worth anything or would they use Euros? Apart from Oil what does Scotland have to offer i just couldn't picture Scotland surviving on it's own or being better off? :confused:

Soldato
So, out of interest, given the chance of another vote, what would it be?

Also, interesting to know, how many other leave voters would change their vote now?

On principle, I'd not change my vote because I simply do not want to be part of a Federal EU. Either way is fraught with problems IMO (admittedly leave more so in the short-medium term).

I'd want enough of a winning margin (60%+) to be acceptable to the general population and also a government that had actually planned to deal with the outcome. The arrogance in betting the farm on a remain vote by the powers that be is absolutely staggering.

Associate
Cheaper pound for exports and we're going into the height of summer so don't screw it up with civil unrest, the tourist board should be going into overdrive. Great time for tourists to come see all we have to offer.

Yeah we get loads of tourists in North Worcestershire we'll be beating them off with a stick

Giz

Man of Honour

• The money that Norway pays in order to gain access, per capita, is the same as our EU subscription
  • Given the above, not only will we continue to pay ~£19b per annum in order to trade with the EU it will cost us more because there will be no rebates and no EU grants awarded to deprived areas
  • Also given the above, we will need to fund the thousands of individuals tasked with the updating of law, the securing and managing of trade agreements outside the EU, ad we'll be trading at defecit for approx. 10 years while these agreements are bottomed out
  • It's likely that our AAA credit rating will not survive given what happened during the last recession and we're looking at the real possibility of a depression
  • None of the Leave campaigners looking like potential Cons leaders have any appetite to reduce immigration

So the only impacts we can see are likely are that the moves will cost us for decades and immigration will continue either at the level it is at the moment - or even at increased levels given some of the things said over the weekend.

Is that all about right?

rebate doesn't come into it. we pay essentially the same per head after the rebate. in other words currently with the eu we have a stonking deal.

most laws wont need updating, as
A) we wanted most of them, we voted for some insane number in the 90+% range
B) most of these "laws" are actually regulations to do with trade and those we will have to abide by.

and on the last point if we want access to the single market, which is vital for us, due to uk being a service based economy, we have to accept free movement,

Associate

• Also given the above, we will need to fund the thousands of individuals tasked with the updating of law, the securing and managing of trade agreements outside the EU, ad we'll be trading at defecit for approx. 10 years while these agreements are bottomed out

Is that all about right?

Sounds like it to me.

If the politicians want to serve the people they should not push this through at the cost of their own careers. Not a good outcome but better than the alternative we now face.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom