Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Interesting to see that Spain have continued to vote for their current PM in greater numbers than the previously deadlocked vote of last year, whereas their Eurosceptic party lost over a million votes.

Not exactly a shot of confidence to many Leavers that other EU members will follow our Brexit move.

In other news Switzerland has withdrawn it's application.

It's not all roses for the EU.

Associate
Associate
unless a miracle happens and we don't go ahead with it and some sort of political reform happens. then we would only be slightly worse of financially. but that's a dream which aint going to happen.

Members of the European Parliament had been pushing for David Cameron to immediately trigger the two-year exit process when he attends a summit in Brussels tomorrow.

But last night diplomats from all 27 other member states agreed that it was unrealistic for the country to formally begin negotiations until a new prime minister had been appointed.

You see the difference between the EU servants and the member states diplomats , its clear as water.

Soldato
Caporegime
German MP Michael Fuchs, a senior ally of Chancellor Angela Merkel, spoke to the Today programme a short time ago.

With a chuckle, he made it clear things were going to have to change.

"Either you are in a club or you are out of a club. If you are in a club you have to follow the rules. If you are out of the club, there will be different rules," he said.

Asked if it would be possible for the UK to retain access to the single market, he replied: "It will be possible, of course, but not for free.

"You have to see with Norway, with Switzerland, you have to pay a certain fee. And the per capita fee of Norway is exactly the same as what Britain is now paying into the EU. So there won't be any savings."

Well that's a promising statement isn't it...

Associate
It's not just that. Immigration was one of the main pillars of the campaign and all surveys showed it was the most important factor for the leave voters. And now Boris says nothing will change re free trade and movement?? They outright deceived their voters.

This Ashcroft poll done as recently as on the day of the referendum disagrees with you.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/

The number one reason for voting leave for both Labour and Tory supporters was decisions about the UK should be taken in the UK.

He said it was one of the most important factors not the most important factor and as its ranked 2nd he is correct

Giz

Soldato
So what I as an ashamed leave voter has found out since the result :

I've given the racists a ticket to be disgusting.

I've helped cause a global financial meltdown.

I've probably ruined my daughters future.

Aside from that, the fact that the leave campaign have come out and admitted they blatantly lied means many people's votes are based on a complete fallacy.

The politicians from all sides should all come together and declare the result void and all fall on their swords.

Yes it will cause uproar with a lot of leave voters but that will be directed at them. Better than the alternative we are just beginning to see.

So, out of interest, given the chance of another vote, what would it be?

Also, interesting to know, how many other leave voters would change their vote now?

Man of Honour
But, 150 pillow regulations? No straight bananas?

It turns out that the single market is a good thing and we want it? :confused:

the pillow one was pure quality. they just searched all regulations for the mention of pillow basically non of them where actually to do with pillows just had the word in it somewhere.

Soldato
I feel like this should be the slogan for leave supporters:

HOPEFULLY THINGS WORK OUT 2016

It's just broken -3% today.

No confirmed Prime Minister, a weak Chancellor and a woeful opposition party in disarray - not exactly a recipe for success. My personal feeling is that Gove and Borris should be the ones to directly negotiate with the EU before presenting their agreements to parliament to vote on. It would be a grave digging exercise for the two of them. I also think we'll see most of the relevant politicians involved in this wanting to pass the buck when it comes to invoking article 50.

Last edited:
Caporegime
But, 150 pillow regulations?

Video removed, contains a lot of swearing

No straight bananas?

A Brussels ban on bendy bananas is one of the EU’s most persistent myths.

Bananas have always been classified by quality and size for international trade. Because the standards, set by individual governments and the industry, were confusing, the European Commission was asked to draw up new rules.

Commission regulation 2257/94 decreed that bananas in general should be “free from malformation or abnormal curvature”. Those sold as “extra class” must be perfect, “class 1” can have “slight defects of shape” and “class 2” can have full-scale “defects of shape”.

Nothing is banned under the regulation, which sets grading rules requested by industry to make sure importers – including UK wholesalers and supermarkets – know exactly what they will be getting when they order a box of bananas.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...launches-the-vote-leave-battlebus-in-cornwall

Caporegime
NATO is an old relic of the past, look at Libya the US were very reluctant to join in, the European countries could muster the power to do a good job, just look at the sorties over Libya, yet they continue to pick at Russia.

are you kidding me - the EU has no equivalent, European countries spend decreasing amounts on defence and NATO was utterly reliant on the US for intervention in Libya... second to the US there is the UK and then France.

NATO isn't an old relic of the past it is the most powerful defence organisation on the planet and by a large margin... there isn't anything else to even come close

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom