Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Oh come on. It's completely implied, and anyone that says otherwise is being disingenuous. This part of the leave campaign was based around a lie no one ever intended to carry out, mostly because this £350m figure was an utter farce in the first place.

Again, which Brexiter in power has said the NHS will not get any more money than it currently does?

Soldato
That was true of the EU too.

You seem to have missed my response to you :)

Yes, the word being 'was'. The EU is already vying for tighter integration, even pushing to remove the ability of countries to legally leave under EU law.

The UK's veto power will only last for so long, the EU is already pushing to remove countries ability to Veto legislation by instigating majority rule on all matters. They are already doing it in regards to trade deals and will no doubt extend it in the future.

Man of Honour
OP
There was a lawyer on the TV who said the amount of laws that need changed would be far, far beyond the capabilities of any Govt over two years. What will happen is that all European law will remain in place until such time as we know what is happening and then these laws will be adjusted or not.

I'm far from an expert on law, I had assumed they'd change over time utilising individual case law and precedent rather than a whole re-write of our laws.

Yes, the word being 'was'. The EU is already vying for tighter integration, even pushing to remove the ability of countries to legally leave under EU law.

The UK's veto power will only last for so long, the EU is already pushing to remove countries ability to Veto legislation by instigating majority rule on all matters. They are already doing it in regards to trade deals and will no doubt extend it in the future.

I only said was as we've decided to leave the EU, meaning it will have the same or less power in future.

Are we agreed that you made a mistake in your response to my post showing a desire for a judicial review? We can move on then :) unless you'd have a problem with both sides being reviewed? If that's the case, what is the problem with it?

Caporegime
So intentionally misleading people is ok, or it's not ok but we should just allow it to happen?

Clearly the latter.

We know that both sides outright lied in the referendum campaign. They did so because they knew they had complete impunity. Frankly, it's expected.

This is why I laugh when we rank high on anti-corruption measures. How is a political class that will lie to the electorate blatantly and routinely, anything other than corrupt?

Of course it's not OK. But what can you or I do about it? We aren't offered a choice between liers and honest politicians. They will all lie when it suits them. They will all break their manifestos and pledges as soon as they find it favourable.

None of them will ever deliver what they promise, so we keep voting in the other guys, who do exactly the same thing. What choice is that?

Soldato
That was true of the EU too.

No, the EU was ***-about-face. In the UK system the directly elected officials (HoC) propose, draft and bring forward new legislation, with the appointed ones (HoL) getting to check, correct or reject it.

The EU has appointed officials (Council) propose, draft and bring forward new legislation, with the elected ones (MEPs) getting to check, correct or reject it.

The former is much closer to direct democracy than the latter.

Caporegime
Again, which Brexiter in power has said the NHS will not get any more money than it currently does?

The poster doesn't say 'let's give the NHS a bit more money', it makes a very specific claim which the Leave talking heads are now distancing themselves from by saying they weren't standing for election, and die-hard Leavers are distancing the campaign from by pretending "let's" means "we could do this, maybe, not sure but I guess it's possible".

Soldato
I'm far from an expert on law, I had assumed they'd change over time utilising individual case law and precedent rather than a whole re-write of our laws.

It would have to be. Otherwise they'd have to bypass parliament in order to Process,repeal,re-enact/re-affirm the vast swathes of ex-EU laws.

Lawyers will be happy though :)

Nate

Commissario
I find the sombre mood among the Leave camp to be particularly alarming, if they thought they had no chance of winning, or had no idea what to do if they actually won - why were they campaigning in the first place?

Bizarre.

I think this is going to end up being overturned, one way or another. It doesn't look like anyone wants our withdrawal to move forward, or has the bottle to actually proceed with it...

Because:
Boris wanted Cameron out of the PM's job so he could get in - now he's realised that even if he can persuade the rest of the Tories that he's possibly going to be a good leader his career is going to be dead whatever he does (he'll either go down as the PM who refused to take us out, or as the one who did).

Farage - his career as an EU politician is dead (no more milking it for every penny as a "protest"), and he's probably going to find it hard to get voted into parliament here.

Gove - pretty much the same as boris, except that Gove was far less popular with the public than boris ever was.

I don't think most of the Leave politicians were really doing the campaigning in the expectation that they'd succeed, but for career reasons, they've not got any plan for how to proceed now and are having to admit that a lot of what they built their case on isn't going to be possible or were outright lies.

In some ways Cameron resigning and not issuing the official notice but leaving it to the next PM is possibly the smartest move he's ever made as a politician. It theoretically buys some time and ensures that the members of his party who were working on forcing him out/vying for his job by playing silly political games with one of the most important matters facing the country are not going to get the juicy reward they were hoping for.

Soldato
There was a lawyer on the TV who said the amount of laws that need changed would be far, far beyond the capabilities of any Govt over two years. What will happen is that all European law will remain in place until such time as we know what is happening and then these laws will be adjusted or not.

An academic from Liverpool University said the process would likely take upwards of 10 years. He said it would keep him and his colleagues in work for a long, long time.

Soldato
There will be riots if they overturn it or try to use it as an opinion poll. I don't think anyone truly believes that we won't end up leaving. The issue is how long is it going to take and how badly is the economy going to be hit in the short to medium term.

Yes, I think the politicians will want to let some time pass and tempers cool before carrying on as usual under some pretext. Someone mentioned that Farage had been excluded from the team for Article 50 negotiations so that would seem to point to a kick it into the long grass and wait position.

Caporegime
I think the Leave campaign's promise to plough £350 million per week into the NHS is going to hurt them badly. Add the fallout from their lie about immigration coming down, and they'll be in a world of pain very soon.

From what I saw Cornwall got £60m, that's nothing at all.

Are you kidding? That's enough to buy five Cornwalls and a slice of Blackmoor.

Soldato
No, the EU was ***-about-face. In the UK system the directly elected officials (HoC) propose, draft and bring forward new legislation, with the appointed ones (HoL) getting to check, correct or reject it.

The EU has appointed officials (Council) propose, draft and bring forward new legislation, with the elected ones (MEPs) getting to check, correct or reject it.

The former is much closer to direct democracy than the latter.
To be honest I think I prefer the EU system, where the elected get to actually decide on things, rather than the UK system where the ultimate decision rests in the hands of the 'unelected elite' and all the elected officials can do is keep redrafting things until the unelected are happy with it.

Soldato
To be honest I think I prefer the EU system, where the elected get to actually decide on things, rather than the UK system where the ultimate decision rests in the hands of the 'unelected elite' and all the elected officials can do is keep redrafting things until the unelected are happy with it.

Read up on what the Parliaments act is, the house of lords has far less power than people think.

Soldato
Deuse, massive market for V8 engines?
What?

To put into which vehicle, and just how many units do you think we would sell?
I am honestly intrigued by this.

Last year Ford and GM was running out of V8 engines for their trucks in the USA. No harm in taking a look at it.
We must explore every avenue we can now. It's there for the taking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom