Britain faces worst recession in history, Cabinet minister Tessa Jowell admits

Caporegime
The recession's only going to be made worse by this stupid media hyping, making people be more tight with their cash...

I've just made a post in Speaker's Corner about this - some currency trader has just been on Channel 4 news telling us that in the last month, the pound has actually outperformed all G10 currencies apart from the Yen and the Euro. Not the sort of response Channel 4 were looking for :p

Soldato
I've just made a post in Speaker's Corner about this - some currency trader has just been on Channel 4 news telling us that in the last month, the pound has actually outperformed all G10 currencies apart from the Yen and the Euro. Not the sort of response Channel 4 were looking for :p
lol exactly, it's all a load of bull to be honest, it's not a recession as such in my opinion, just the worlds economy having a hissy fit :p

Soldato
some currency trader has just been on Channel 4 news telling us that in the last month, the pound has actually outperformed all G10 currencies apart from the Yen and the Euro. Not the sort of response Channel 4 were looking for

What? The pound has collapsed?

Soldato
And this from the same woman that has apparently redecorated her office 5 times in the last 6 years (the last stint cost £40,000 of taxpayers money)

And then stated : "If we're going to have any chance of getting value for money from the Olympics then we need to urgently cut back on the excess surrounding this project."

And lets not forget her stating she would 'jump under a bus for Tony Blair' or the Jowellgate scandle - a $600,000 (£300,000) Silvio Berlusconi bribery scandal in which - quote :

'Ms Jowell was dragged into the row after it emerged she had signed a document remortgaging the couple's north London home and that money alleged to be from Mr Berlusconi was used to pay off her new mortgage. She, too, denies any wrongdoing'

What a woman to listen too.

Associate
At least we can get blow-jobs to reduce breast cancer :)

I don't think anyone is going to be immune from this mess. Germany maybe me smarmy now, but their comments about our debt is a bit irrelevant since their economy is far worse. They have also had crippling unemployment, whenever I want to fly to European countries they have strikes and problems in air ports. If euro keeps becoming stronger against the pound, then it makes sense for Americans to base more work in the UK. Swings and roundabouts.

We have far laxer working laws than Europe(the proper one). We moved two 3 departments from Brussels because they have to pay soo much for their staff, and provide them with lots of benefits. UKs lax labour means it is far more flexible when it comes to business demands during financial quarters.

Soldato
The way the mainstream media and politicians are hyping this up it's no wonder we're entering (already in) a recession. So much of the economy is built on 1) trust and 2) expectations. If people hear that we're entering the worst recession ever, house prices WILL fall by 30% etc then it's much more likely to happen. It almost seems as though the Government enjoy over hyping it........

Soldato
Sorry,
But you're obviously not living in the same part of the country as me.

Even if it is hyped up - there are still too many people I know either out of work now (as in made redundant in the last 6 months) or going to be out of work in a few months time.

And that's just the start of it - and it has virtually nothing to do with the media or the hype - it's just a part of a cycle/correction that was long overdue. And it's time to sort the men from the boys - so too speak.

Last edited:
Soldato
Did you see Andrew Marr's interview with John Major recently? it's being made out to be the worst financial crises this country has ever seen and thats simply rubbish, at the moment anyway. Interest rates were 15% in the early nineties, unemployment was nearly 3m whereas now anylysts are "predicting" the claiment count could reach 2.5m sometime next year. Bad times for the economy, yes, the worst financial crises ever and the end of the world, no.

Soldato
Tell you what the cause is, wrong person for the wrong job :p

Brown studied history at university and worked as a lecturer of politics, later becoming a journalist and current affairs editor. To then become Chancellor of the Exchequer in charge of the British economy is quite worrying considering his experience or lack thereof.
Darling was a solicitor! It's like putting a dentist in charge of a particle accelerator. Yes, they obviously have intelligence and a skill but they haven't got any experience or qualification for they job they are doing.

Would you give your child to a civil engineer to perform an appendicectomy? Of course not!
Would you leave the economy of G8 country under the control of a journalist or solicitor? No.....oh wait, we did :(

Why doesn't the Chancellor have a doctorate in finance or economics with years of experience in the city? Now I know that they have many advisors and assistants to guide them but at the end of the day they make the decisions not the advisors.

I think I've found the problem ;):p

Now I may not have been 100% serious but it does make you wonder, well it does me :p

Soldato
The effects of this may seem hyped but to be honest they are all pretty real concerns.

I have at least 5 friends who work at Nissan/Hashimoto... who employ over 5000 people in the north east. They are now sitting about while getting paid until Nissan work out what they are gonna do.

Additionally my Dad whos had a stable job for 30 years has had his shifts changed to 3 weeks on and 1 week off while the foundry he works in tries to ride the current situation out. It looks pretty bleak.

If I personally know of 5-10 people who are in this situation. then no doubt many more people do. Its a lot more worrying than you might think, and not just hype.

Soldato
It was being hyped up a few months ago. Now it isn't. The situation is very real. There is no benefit to anyone anymore to hype it up - not even the media. It's a vicious circle. TV networks get less advertising revenue if companies aren't willing to fork out so much on their advertising budgets.

BBC News presenters have been warned against using the "R word" for several months now as well.

Jobs are going left, right and center. Pretty much every week I hear of another person I know has been made redundant...

J.B

J.B

Soldato
So fed up of this recession rubbish. To be honest Id hardly say its the worst recession in history, I havent seen any huge shanty downs and people living in dirt.

Grrr the media just loves shock tactics!

Back
Top Bottom