Britain faces worst recession in history, Cabinet minister Tessa Jowell admits

Soldato
The recent round the government borrowing was based on the recession ending in the 2nd half of 2009 and the economy growing around 4% in 2010. This is ridiculous.

To those who think the media are hyping this - I don't see it. I think the media have been and are continuing to be too conservative. The situation is worse now than any mainstream broadcaster was suggesting 12 or even 6 months ago and I expect the situation 12 months from now will be a lot worse than today's media is suggesting.

Associate
The recent round the government borrowing was based on the recession ending in the 2nd half of 2009 and the economy growing around 4% in 2010. This is ridiculous.

To those who think the media are hyping this - I don't see it. I think the media have been and are continuing to be too conservative. The situation is worse now than any mainstream broadcaster was suggesting 12 or even 6 months ago and I expect the situation 12 months from now will be a lot worse than today's media is suggesting.

Is this more than a hunch?

Soldato

The government is lying to us. They are bankrupting the country in order to put a bit of tinsel on a very bad situation.

With an election due any time in the next 2 years they will try anything to win, and worry about the consequences in the next term.

daz

daz

Soldato
Government borrowing is not at ridiculous levels by any means. Sure it's high, but it's nothing we can't handle.

Caporegime
Anyone seen those gold buying adverts on tv? Shops buying gold off people because the pound is becoming worthless, when you see that advertised on tv you know things are bad!

Caporegime
Anyone seen those gold buying adverts on tv? Shops buying gold off people because the pound is becoming worthless, when you see that advertised on tv you know things are bad!

err it's not worthless though, it;s the 3rd best performing currency in the world apparently ;)

Soldato

Panic predators. People have this impression that gold will hold it's value and it won't fluctuate. It's just another commodity.

Soldato
Panic predators. People have this impression that gold will hold it's value and it won't fluctuate. It's just another commodity.

It's very different from other commodities, it doesn't tend to get used up in the same way as oil, coffee, wheat, coal, cotton etc... A couple of thousand years of history suggests that goal is a relatively stable store of value.

Man of Honour
Is this more than a hunch?

No, I suspect not. clv is clearly very educated but also very much enjoys revelling in doom to the extent that I suspect a lot of his opinions are heavily biased and should be trusted no more than we'd trust somebody who came bounding in saying 'We'll get positive growth in Q1 2009'.

It was only a year ago he was predicting imminent $200 oil by the end of the 2008 - if this was the 1930's he'd be stood on a street corner with a sandwich board saying 'The end of the world is nigh'

Which is a shame, as this rather erodes his otherwise sound opinions.

Soldato
Soldato
[TW]Fox;13095970 said:
It was only a year ago he was predicting imminent $200 oil by the end of the 2008 - if this was the 1930's he'd be stood on a street corner with a sandwich board saying 'The end of the world is nigh'

That isn't actually right Fox. I don't tend to predict prices - you may be referring to my +30% per year chart, but you're notice there wasn't really a predictive aspect to that, it was a description of past performance. In fact the identified trend then was for ~$120 at year end. In my presentations I always said that high oil prices could not be supported for long - people like Matt Simons kept going on about ever increasing prices, and Goldman Sachs talked of $200.

In May 2008 I covered a report about how high oil prices would result in recession.

Caporegime

When a currency falls in value the price of gold increases in that currency, by investing in gold you protect against that loss.

Notice how gold prices have increased so much in sterling (over 20%), but remained fairly stable in $.

Last edited:
Caporegime
When a currency falls in value the price of gold increases in that currency, by investing in gold you protect against that loss.

Notice how gold prices have increased so much in sterling (over 20%), but remained fairly stable in $.

isn;t the $ falling far faster than the £ globally though?

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;13095987 said:
That graph shows Gold at just 4% more than it was a year ago. Seems pretty stable to me.

What about those who bought gold at $1000 an ounce? What about when the government sold gold at $200 an ounce only a few years ago? Seems to me that gold prices fluctuate massively, plus you have to pay to store it safely.

Soldato
It's fascinating what's going on in the US at the moment, Obama seems to have a massive focus on finding alternatives to fossil fuel etc. Makes you wonder what could be possible if the resources which were, say, devoted to the Space Race etc were focused on development of alternative fuels instead.

Associate
Unemployment will rise, jobs will become more difficult to get.

Companies, in general, will tighten their purse strings. New buildings, expansions etc will be put on hold.

Companies now have a good excuse to have a general cut of the workforce, redundancies will be more wide spread.

Consumers in general will tighten the purse strings for some products, but not all, and not most.

People who have mortgages they can't afford will inexplicably blame the recession, despite not being directly impacted.

Retailers will lower prices and run lower margins. They will hold less stock, and offer incentives like free delivery.

The government will borrow from tomorrow, to **** it up the wall today. They will claim this is "prudent" and the "only way". They will ignore everybody and claim growth will happen when it's all but impossible. In an attempt to win the election they will give money away.

Most people you know will bleat on about the recession, even if they are not affected.

Companies will foolishly ban overtime, cut peoples hours etc without thinking it through properly.

To add to this...

People in work and with a little surplus cash will actually do quite well with lots of retail bargains around.

Crime and social unrest will increase - caused by angry desperate people not hard core criminals.

Companies will implement overtime freezes.

Companies will implement recruitment freezes. They will also shed temps and contractors.

Due to recruitment freezes and a lack of contrect staff, companies will become short staffed and work will pile up. After a while as a workaround they will use more temps and contractors since their cost comes out of a different corporate budget usually and can be hiddden.

Companies will re-organize, downsize, and generally get rid of dead wood. People will have to work harder for their money for fear of being released from their contract of work.

Public sector employees will continue to live their overpaid cushioned existence until the tories get in when there will be a orgy of blood letting.

Back
Top Bottom