British man to be exectuted by Chinese

Soldato
Ok so on a few other forums I goto some christians and bleeding heart liberals are on a crusade to get Akmal Shaikh spared the death penalty after he got caught smuggling 4kg of heroin into China.

Now I would have thought this story would have made it onto OcUK. His family claim he's mentaly ill because he suffers from bi-polar but how can suffering from depression make you want to take up drug trafficking in the far east I don't know. Are the chinese right to execute this guy?

http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/news/british-man-to-be-executed-in-china-19524351.html

Soldato
OP
He's clearly not a very well man, with either severe bipolar disorder or some other serious problems. Execution does not seem a particularly sensible option.

So his family and defence team claim. But when faced with the death penalty I suppose they would say he's mentaly ill.

Soldato
OP
I can quite easily see someone like that being duped into carrying drugs with the promise of a huge career in the film industry.

I'd like to know more about the background of the man's mental illness, whether he had been taking his medication regularly, whether he had been keeping psychiatrist appointments etc or any indication of his mental state. Even then it would be hard to make a judgment.

He previously worked as a taxi driver in london so he did have some level of cognizance. The mental illness just sounds like a last ditch attempt to avoid the death penalty.

Soldato
OP
Apparantly the Chinese did show him some leniancy as normaly when you caught smuggling heroin you'r usualy executed on the spot. But because he had a British passport he was given a trial and lived for an extra 2 years. By chinese standards and for the crime he was caught doing that is leniancy.

Back
Top Bottom