BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Whoever has the best offer on at the time after Quidco etc. At the end of the day, they are all just reselling the same product so the speed is the speed regardless of who you take.

Other things to consider are Vodaphone’s network doesn’t have the best reputation and sky make it difficult for you to use your own hardware. It’s worth looking at those two things in more detail if you are considering them.

I take it you don’t have an existing provider in place that you can just port over?
Cheers, and nope, currently with Three 5G but it's highly unlikely there's any (usable) 5G signal at the new house so will need to cancel that and go old school :D

We were with Vodafone before going to 5G and we did have several issues on our line, they did replace the line from pole to house and sort an issue at the exchange but that took several months.

Caporegime
Cheers, and nope, currently with Three 5G but it's highly unlikely there's any (usable) 5G signal at the new house so will need to cancel that and go old school :D

We were with Vodafone before going to 5G and we did have several issues on our line, they did replace the line from pole to house and sort an issue at the exchange but that took several months.
I have a Sky FTTC deal for £23pm including line rental for friends and family? Trust message me if interested.

Soldato

That would have happened regardless of provider as it’s BTs ORs cables/network. The comments were relating to Vodafones back end network (the bit between BTs ORs network and the wider internet) has been known to get congested on the past but I’m not sure if it’s still an issue.

Soldato
I have a Sky FTTC deal for £23pm including line rental for friends and family? Trust message me if interested.

Will do some checks and may drop you a message, ta. Need to check for 5g signal when we get the keys in a couple of weeks, will be the first thing I do!!

That would have happened regardless of provider as it’s BTs ORs cables/network. The comments were relating to Vodafones back end network (the bit between BTs ORs network and the wider internet) has been known to get congested on the past but I’m not sure if it’s still an issue.

Cheers, tbh apart from the line issues (which as you say was an Openreach issue rather than Vodafone) they were pretty good, and it did mean we god a discount for a good portion of the contract!! :D

Main thing I need to look into is the supplied router having the option of bridge/modem mode, or being able to use a 3rd party router/modem. It's not the end of the world though as I can use the TP Link deco in AP mode as I'm doing now, would be nice to have all the features though if possible.

Man of Honour
You can use your own modem/router with pretty much all domestic providers. Sky however make it slightly difficult and I seem to recall that you may have to use Vodafone’s if you go with them but I could be wrong. I’m with Zen purely for the excellent support they provide and I require a fixed IP address for work.

Soldato
You’d need to look at individual providers then once you have a shortlist.

The router talk talk supplied to me doesn’t do bridge mode (but you can turn off the WiFi) so you’d need to also supply your own modem if you wanted to go down that route.

Sky have some specific requirements that you would need to look into.

Associate
I have currently used my hg612 and edge router x with talktalk, vodafone, bt, plusnet and now nowtv. The only real difference is nowtv a router which can supply dhcp option 61.
Currently paying £22 a month for nowtv fttc (80/20) with £110 topcashback so should work out around £13 a month (12 month contract).

Caporegime
No engineer turned up despite me waiting in between the agreed times.

On my BT account, it says 'engineer visit complete'. Maybe a bit of a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. :/

Last edited:
Man of Honour
No engineer turned up despite me waiting in between the agreed times.

On my BT account, it says 'engineer visit complete'. Maybe a bit of a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. :/
Maybe their work was done at the exchange or the cabinet. Worth asking your ISP and also asking for money credited to your bill as you'll be below the hardback threshold.

Associate
I've just changed over to from Virgin Media to the good old copper stuff!! Sick of VM constantly dropping out and the hub been a POS.

Currently maxing out at 50 Mbps but was told this should be closer to the full speed of 80?

Does the BT line still need 10 days to improve of should it be full speeds instantly?

Associate
I've just changed over to from Virgin Media to the good old copper stuff!! Sick of VM constantly dropping out and the hub been a POS.

Currently maxing out at 50 Mbps but was told this should be closer to the full speed of 80?

Does the BT line still need 10 days to improve of should it be full speeds instantly?
It can take some time, I moved from talk talk to nowtv on the 25th and my speed is still slowly increasing. Ive been tracking its slow rise up and its finally getting closer to where it previously was. Ignore the 0s thats just my monitoring messing up this was pulled from the modem.
IXzdMXE.png

Don
If it's a brand new line with no previous profile then it should be full speed from the off (if anything it then negotiates slower over time depending on the number of errors encountered).

What was your handback threshold and estimated speed range?

Associate
This is from the router, I have not had BT in here for 7 years so should be a fresh line? BT had to enter my property and fit and new faceplate and do some wiring. I may cancel and move to Sky as apparently I can get 500Mb speeds not sure how I missed that one!

IMG-20210707-143041737.jpg

Associate
You won't regret it, I've just moved house and took out Fiber 900 with Zen and it's brilliant. I was previously on 60 down/15 up.

I rushed into ordering from onestream. I popped my details into a comparison site and none showed speeds above 80 so thought I'd just order from there. Wish I'd of checked BT first. Ah well 80 probably will be too slow fo my household VM 200 was fine but kept dropping out and suffered massive slowdowns. So I maybe can justify buying 900 :D just now need to cancel this after 1 hour of use ha!

Back
Top Bottom