BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
I have bt fttp and have never had a drop out issue.full speeds and no throttling I have ever noticed. Only downside for me is I can't use another provider! So I have to use bt for fttp otherwise I'm stuck to basic broadband through phone line.

Associate
My house is a new build property estate and open reach own the fttp that goes directly into my house. I'm guessing bt have some kind of contract in place with them, all other providers tell me they can't use the fttp in my area but can use the phone line. Luckily I have no issues with BT. Everyone on the housing estate use bt fttp, never even picked up a WiFi signal that's not bt here. EDIT: looks like I can now get other providers which haven't been available the last 3 years. I think bt may have had a timed contract or maybe other providers systems weren't up to date as its a 4 year old property

Last edited:
Associate
My house is a new build property estate and open reach own the fttp that goes directly into my house. I'm guessing bt have some kind of contract in place with them, all other providers tell me they can't use the fttp in my area but can use the phone line. Luckily I have no issues with BT. Everyone on the housing estate use bt fttp, never even picked up a WiFi signal that's not bt here. The housing estate is 4 years old

If its Openreach I would have thought any Openreach based ISP should have access if they offer FTTP. If it's just BT isn't there some sort of anti competition issue here.

Caporegime
There's no such thing as a BT exclusivity period on an Openreach FTTP deployment - Ofcom would crucify Openreach for allowing that to happen.

What *might* be happening is that only BT had a cablelink at the serving exchange because no other providers (TalkTalk, Sky, whatever) had bought one yet, but really any ISP that is half decent should be pretty eager to get their services available to people as soon as Openreach are ready to serve them.

Soldato
Just because another ISP can offer FTTP in your area doesn't mean they will in your area. If its just one small postcode then it might not be worth the effort.

Soldato
Does any one know if BT have any plans to offer any packages that are faster than the Fibre 900 one for consumers?

Even if BT did, the underlying Openreach product won't support it. Openreach FTTP is based on GPON (Gigabit Passive Optical Network) so there's a hard limit at 1Gbps. The fibre in the ground (or on poles) will support > 1Gbps but Openreach would need to roll out an XG (10 Gbps) product which would mean lots of kit needs replacing.

I believe Openreach are working on XGS-PON (10 Gigabit Symmetric Passive Optical Network) but it'll be several years at least I expect before it's available to the consumer.

Soldato
Plans, yes they certainly do but as said above, it will be years before you see it. They need to fibre up the rest of the country first.

just out of interest, what are you doing where you think 900mbps isn’t enough at the moment?

Soldato
I'm currently on Fibre1 with BT getting about 40mb. I'm moving to a house that should be capable of 65-70mb (according to BT wholesale + all other provider estimates).

When I do a test using the bt broadband check website, it still only offers Fibre1 for the new house, not Fibre2 higher speed - any ideas?

https://ibb.co/bJMq9SR

Theres the btwholesale check, surely I should be offered more than 40mb?

Last edited:
Soldato
my contract with BT is up on the 13th August apparently (another story to this) they offered me a new contract but its more expensive than im paying for my current deal? I told them why would I want to pay more for the same service but they say it cant be done even at my current billing cost.

So if I were to jump ship who would I use?
Zen internet were a complete nightmare for me when I tried them last year, anyone got recommendations for the 1gb service somewhere else?

Soldato
I'm currently on Fibre1 with BT getting about 40mb. I'm moving to a house that should be capable of 65-70mb (according to BT wholesale + all other provider estimates).

When I do a test using the bt broadband check website, it still only offers Fibre1 for the new house, not Fibre2 higher speed - any ideas?

https://ibb.co/bJMq9SR

Theres the btwholesale check, surely I should be offered more than 40mb?

Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom