BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Man of Honour
The upload is a big limitation for me right now with cloud Backups, with a 6mb upload I have to be very selective as to what I backup otherwise it'll not finish in the night and leave me with unusable Internet the next day.

Is that 6MByte/s or MBit/s? one of the reasons I've supplemented the FTTC with a 4G sim is that it gets ~30+Mbit/s upload which is useful for syncing stuff - we only get 5-6MBit/s upload here on the FTTC never mind the ~19MBit/s on the 80/20 product at our old house.

Soldato
Is that 6MByte/s or MBit/s? one of the reasons I've supplemented the FTTC with a 4G sim is that it gets ~30+Mbit/s upload which is useful for syncing stuff - we only get 5-6MBit/s upload here on the FTTC never mind the ~19MBit/s on the 80/20 product at our old house.

That's 6MBit/s, I wouldn't be complaining so much if it was the other, my download isn't even much beyond 3MByte/s.

We're waiting to complete on a house which already has FTTP so not too much longer of having to put up with it. Will probably go with the 500Mb package.

Associate
I'm after getting a Gigabit switch as the BT Hub only has 3 usable ports, thinking of something cheap like the TP-Link TL-SG105S for around £10?

11979572890.png

Caporegime
60 is about right if the line is in decent condition. You'd know for sure if you could get a sync figure from someone who lives there already.

Soldato
Count yourself lucky if you get mid to upper 40s, anything above that will be a bonus.

Yeh they're saying 40mb....why? The data looks loads higher than my current place and I get 50mb at the moment.

60 is about right if the line is in decent condition. You'd know for sure if you could get a sync figure from someone who lives there already.

Theyre saying 40 with a guarentee of 22mb.

EDIT:
This is my current house. Just done speedtest.net and got 45.8mb Down and 6.8mb Up
LrPncau.jpg

Soldato
Well you should get anything between 44-70mb, there's the odd case that falls outside of this though.

This is what I thought, but 2 BT people have bascially said 40 if you're very lucky, expect low 30's :(

According to https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm:

Currently 2km from cabinet at current address and get 45mb
New address 1km from cabinet (with details above) and BT think i'll struggle to get 40!

It's all very confusing. From the data I can see it should be as you suggest 40-70.

Soldato
There is more to it than distance though, the quality of the copper, any repairs/junction boxes, cross talk etc.

Presumably they have data from the existing occupier which is why they are quoting that number.

Soldato
This is what I thought, but 2 BT people have bascially said 40 if you're very lucky, expect low 30's :(

According to https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm:

Currently 2km from cabinet at current address and get 45mb
New address 1km from cabinet (with details above) and BT think i'll struggle to get 40!

It's all very confusing. From the data I can see it should be as you suggest 40-70.

Pretty sure BT are just covering their arse and not giving you grounds to complain for low speeds :D There's a very good chance you should see 50-60 really.

Caporegime
For what it's worth, the BT Wholesale checker estimates between 53.2 and 73.4Mbps down and between 13.5 and 19.9Mbps up. BT's website where you'd actually buy the FTTC service from estimates 45 to 50Mbps, with an upload between 8 and 9Mbps, and won't let me buy Fibre 2 (the 80Mbps product), which is what I currently have.

My router is synced at 69Mbps down and 18.5Mbps up.

But as people have said, everything is an estimate until the service goes in. You might have a dodgy joint somewhere, or rubbish internal cabling.

Caporegime
When they install a new fibre line to your house, this is rated for 1Gbps (at least) isn't it? I'm thinking of signing up to BT Ultrafast but only at 500Mbits for now. If I wanted to upgrade it to 900Mbits in a year, that's possible without any shenanigans? I assume it would mean the contract would reset to another two years though.

Back
Top Bottom