BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
What's the reasoning behind that?

It's only really going to be an issue if you tend to saturate the uplink, at which point everything slows down as your connection can't send ACK packets to acknowledge receiving data, it's the same principal regardless of the connection type.

Man of Honour
What's the reasoning behind that?

It's only really going to be an issue if you tend to saturate the uplink, at which point everything slows down as your connection can't send ACK packets to acknowledge receiving data, it's the same principal regardless of the connection type.

Sorry, I had a reply typed out and for whatever reason I never pressed submit. If you end up using something which will tank your upload as Avalon suggests, your internet will seem like it's dropping out. I mean services which back up online, such as Backblaze etc. There's no harm it dropping a few Mbps on the upload to guarantee you a stable connection if you do upload a lot of data. Given you have new shiny upload and the relative cost of B2 backups being low, it should be something you look into.

Soldato

Sorry, I had a reply typed out and for whatever reason I never pressed submit. If you end up using something which will tank your upload as Avalon suggests, your internet will seem like it's dropping out. I mean services which back up online, such as Backblaze etc. There's no harm it dropping a few Mbps on the upload to guarantee you a stable connection if you do upload a lot of data. Given you have new shiny upload and the relative cost of B2 backups being low, it should be something you look into.

Ah yes that makes sense. I have always done my backups overnight in the past due to my slow connection, but torrents have always been very strict on uploads as it made my previous connection unusable. I have Gsuite Business (now Google Workspace) for my backups so have unlimited storage. Of course now I can back up more than the absolute minimum I was doing before at least :D

Soldato
Ah yes that makes sense. I have always done my backups overnight in the past due to my slow connection, but torrents have always been very strict on uploads as it made my previous connection unusable. I have Gsuite Business (now Google Workspace) for my backups so have unlimited storage. Of course now I can back up more than the absolute minimum I was doing before at least :D

Combine a fast connection (ideally symmetrical) with rclone to mount cloud storage locally and suddenly - for large static files - local storage seems so 10 years ago.

Soldato
Did you get VoIP with it?

I didn't get a call package, but it's still there to use, not that I will.

Combine a fast connection (ideally symmetrical) with rclone to mount cloud storage locally and suddenly - for large static files - local storage seems so 10 years ago.

Absolutely yes. I've already thought about moving some of my Plex media over to Google Drive.

Man of Honour
Absolutely yes. I've already thought about moving some of my Plex media over to Google Drive.
What do you currently store it on? If you already have a NAS with reasonable storage (and a fast download connection) plus decent hardware for the server and player(s) I have found online storage options to be cost prohibitive. The last I read Google Workspace is going to be $30 a month next year, that's not an insignificant sum.

Soldato
What do you currently store it on? If you already have a NAS with reasonable storage (and a fast download connection) plus decent hardware for the server and player(s) I have found online storage options to be cost prohibitive.

I have an unRaid box with 11TB usable storage. I already have unlimited Google Drive so wouldn't be too much of an issue, especially if it was to offload some media I don't watch often or wont be going back to for a while.

Man of Honour
I have an unRaid box with 11TB usable storage. I already have unlimited Google Drive so wouldn't be too much of an issue, especially if it was to offload some media I don't watch often or wont be going back to for a while.
If I'm not mistaken, Google are putting a stop to their 'unlimited' storage.

Man of Honour
I'm quite interested as I have full fibre too and if I can find a solution which involves me not using not using a NAS with a lot of capacity and it being cost effective, I may look into it.

Man of Honour
Please provide a link to anything official to that effect, bonus points if it includes mention of Team Drives (as was).
It’s just from chatting to various people in the seedbox community plus I’ve read a few blogs I will dig out. If you know of a way to have it still I’m all ears.

Soldato
It’s just from chatting to various people in the seedbox community plus I’ve read a few blogs I will dig out. If you know of a way to have it still I’m all ears.

I’m still on grandfathered pricing/terms as I was an early adopter, they’re migrating me and the price will increase early next year, but they aren’t doing anything with Team Drives. You can still sign up and achieve the same, but your price point is a few quid higher.

Man of Honour
I’m still on grandfathered pricing/terms as I was an early adopter, they’re migrating me and the price will increase early next year, but they aren’t doing anything with Team Drives. You can still sign up and achieve the same, but your price point is a few quid higher.
What sort of price point am I looking at?

Soldato
What sort of price point am I looking at?

$12/m on Business Standard if you go the Team Drive route, obviously plus a domain at a few quid a year. For comparison, it would likely cost me that in power to spin up a suitable server with physical drives, but with this, I get versioning and backup/redundancy via Google.

Man of Honour
Are you able to ping me details please? I'm at the point where I need new drives for my NAS so I want to weigh up the various associated costs. Business standard as an example is limited to 2TB per user which absolutely wouldn't be enough.

Soldato
@Avalon could I ask your advice on this subject. I get these emails from Google on my grandfathered unlimited account? Thus far I have done nothing but should I do something and if so what to keep unlimited storage without it going crazily priced?

Hello Administrator,

We previously notified you that your G Suite subscription will transition to a Google Workspace subscription. We’re writing to let you know that you can now begin your transition. There are two options:

• Option 1 (recommended): Self-transition now in a few easy steps.
    • Option 2: Let Google transition you automatically once your organization is eligible*, starting from January 31, 2022. We will provide you with at least 30 days notice before your transition date.
When I click through all the options are either limited in storage or the price says "call us"

Back
Top Bottom