BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Has anyone seen any recent reports regarding XG-PON or increased upload speeds?

XG was supposed to be the default going forward from memory, it’s still not going to do and good for a while as the UK Government funding only dictates 200Mbit up, OR have little incentive to push beyond that at present as 200Mbit is still seen as being beyond what the majority want/use.

Soldato
Still nothing for my area. :(

I wouldn’t put too much stock into it. My area has never appeared on any of BTs roll out plans and yet had FTTP retrofitted at the end of last year. Loads of houses have it installed now.

You might find BT people turn up one day and do the work which is basically what happened here. I wouldn’t have had a clue except for my neighbour spotted them on the day they were in the street. They were in and out in less than a day.

V F

V F

Soldato
I wouldn’t put too much stock into it. My area has never appeared on any of BTs roll out plans and yet had FTTP retrofitted at the end of last year. Loads of houses have it installed now.

You might find BT people turn up one day and do the work which is basically what happened here. I wouldn’t have had a clue except for my neighbour spotted them on the day they were in the street. They were in and out in less than a day.

Then you had very efficient workers. The ones that turned up to ours took almost a month. It took them 3 days to dig a trench past 3 houses when the council took 7 hours to resurface the same pavement. Even the council insulted Openreach's work on the state they left the pavement in.

The council gave us a lovely pavement though. I never thought I'd see the day where somebody is a lot worse than the council departments.

Soldato
Then you had very efficient workers. The ones that turned up to ours took almost a month. It took them 3 days to dig a trench past 3 houses when the council took 7 hours to resurface the same pavement. Even the council insulted Openreach's work on the state they left the pavement in.

The council gave us a lovely pavement though. I never thought I'd see the day where somebody is a lot worse than the council departments.

Well it’s all ducted here and it seems they were not blocked either so no digging required.

Soldato
Anyone here happy with Now Broadband (FTTC)? Their prices are very cheap when you factor in the cashback, and they only lock you into a 12 month contract which is unheard of these days.

Soldato
idnet down yet again this morning.

I had no idea they used zen backend for their services, if I had I wouldn't have joined them. Seems Idnet them selves are not too happy about the current state of zens services after speaking with them on the phone.

Associate
Moving to a new house hopefully, best connection via BT is 35/10mbit apparently as it's connected to an exchange 2.3 miles away. Conversely, the next street along is connected to the exchange 0.7 miles away that's gone live with FTTP for everyone. Mildly annoying :rolleyes:

Our area is in the process of being upgraded, openreach website has it as the soonest batch to be switched on, by April 2024 but could well be sooner.

Still, think I'll have to use Virgin cable for the first contract period as I couldn't handle 18 months with 35mbit down.

V F

V F

Soldato
Just had it installed this morning, had to hard reset the Asus AX11000 though as it was only pulling 500mbit on the 900mbit line.

Once that was done and it checked internet again with it's auto thing, got full speed. But that depends on route through the UK as it's not that great from server to server. Some speed test servers max out at 500, only one got to 900 and that was in Manchester.

Speeds are around 840mbits to 920mbits with the occasional blip up to 970mbits briefly.

BT 900mbit service.

After being on 34mb vdsl connection, seeing a 25gb game patch download within a minute or two than hours is so nice again. Used ot be on cable back in 2000s so happy with the product. The ONT is tiny, seems to be the new reduced but cheaper for openreach to use now.

Isn't it. There was a time my steam game updates used to mount up queued and paused because so many used to take lots of hours for each update. Now there is no fear for waiting several hours. I think the worst one I had was a full game for 75GB in 15 minutes.

It's also a great feeling not having to keep games installed no more from the fear of huge long downloads.

Soldato
It was also the usual conversation when you were trying to download something. "Is anyone downloading, trying to watch netflix!"

Yeah, my bad. *pauses said download*

Also tried out Xbox Gamepass streaming as well. I'm all for cloud gaming now, there was no lag at all, but you really do need a fast line for it however. Finally can play some old xbox games and a fair few 360 games I never could before due to never having the console. Also gave Forza Horizons 4 a go.

Making me look at Sony's now.

This is why people either need to be responsible enough to rate limit downloads/uploads or use QoS, a faster connection only masks the problem, it doesn't fix it.

Back
Top Bottom