BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
Finally able to order fttp for our new build after suffering openreach database problems.

Our village has been fttp enabled for over 3 months but for some reason my new build wasn't showing up as fibre enabled on BTs system so I couldn't place an order. After a nearly two months of getting nowhere with BT and openreach I wrote to my local MP for help, after giving all relevant info to MP I didn't hear anything until I told a friend of my woes.

He told me that his father was a very good friend of the local MP's secretary and that he would speak to him on my behalf. Well within a week BT called and the database issue has been resolved! Booked in for 200mb connection on the 25th!

Hallelujah!

Last edited:
Associate
from what i have read else where only the bt infinity 1 package is being upgraded. people like myself who are on the bt infinity 2 package will be getting a cloud storage upgrade ie double. prety crap tbh.

EDIT: if you also notice they have renamed packages ect also

Soldato
It’s not great is it. Not bothered at all about cloud storage. Shame as I’m still under contract too, ah well.

Depending on when you took the contract out, you may have a favourable result arguing that BT entered into a contract with you with prior knowledge that would financially disadvantage you and as such formed a contract on an unfair basis. They should fold quite easily.

Associate
Finally able to order fttp for our new build after suffering openreach database problems.

Our village has been fttp enabled for over 3 months but for some reason my new build wasn't showing up as fibre enabled on BTs system so I couldn't place an order. After a nearly two months of getting nowhere with BT and openreach I wrote to my local MP for help, after giving all relevant info to MP I didn't hear anything until I told a friend of my woes.

He told me that his father was a very good friend of the local MP's secretary and that he would speak to him on my behalf. Well within a week BT called and the database issue has been revolved! Booked in for 200mb connection on the 25th!

Hallelujah!

I know you're pain... I'm in a new build and it took about 5 months to get connected.

The moment the lights went green, I ordered and to my luck there was a sale on, got infinity 4 for the price of infinity 2 :D

Soldato
Hmmm I joined Virgin as a 50mb customer over 2 years ago, I was fed up of being charged extra for effective downgrades even though they promoted the 60meg and 70 meg free upgrades. I started seeing my speed half at peak times on 60meg, on 70meg I was seeing 3-4mb down from 4-midnight during my last year I was with them. So I went with bt infinity 2 last xmas and it has been rock solid 70-20 since installation. What worries me is that this free upgrade for infi1 will effectively reduce the total overhead bandwidth and thus reduce my usuable bandwidth, whilst at the same time I still pay more than a infinity 1 user. Although I still only pay 47 a month as 1st year rate, to rise to 56.

Soldato
Hmmm I joined Virgin as a 50mb customer over 2 years ago, I was fed up of being charged extra for effective downgrades even though they promoted the 60meg and 70 meg free upgrades. I started seeing my speed half at peak times on 60meg, on 70meg I was seeing 3-4mb down from 4-midnight during my last year I was with them. So I went with bt infinity 2 last xmas and it has been rock solid 70-20 since installation. What worries me is that this free upgrade for infi1 will effectively reduce the total overhead bandwidth and thus reduce my usuable bandwidth, whilst at the same time I still pay more than a infinity 1 user. Although I still only pay 47 a month as 1st year rate, to rise to 56.

BT already moved from the 38/10 profile to 52/10 without issue, why would you think they lack capacity when they can sell g.fast and faster products with no noticeable impact on your line. BT (unlike Virgin) tend not to be plagued by local capacity issues. Also consider that the majority of broadband connections remain near enough idle the majority of the time, you could give people 1Gbit symmetrical, but if they only stream a 3mbit stream two hours a day, it won’t stream any quicker.

Soldato
BT already moved from the 38/10 profile to 52/10 without issue, why would you think they lack capacity when they can sell g.fast and faster products with no noticeable impact on your line. BT (unlike Virgin) tend not to be plagued by local capacity issues. Also consider that the majority of broadband connections remain near enough idle the majority of the time, you could give people 1Gbit symmetrical, but if they only stream a 3mbit stream two hours a day, it won’t stream any quicker.

Because there is no fttp in my area and no g fast for a good few years, 80/20 has been the cap for quite a while on infinity 2, whilst infinity 1 has seen upgrades.
When they are 75% implementing a 3 year old phase called ''Hampshire New Phase 2 Fibre'', My cabinet is full capacity as I tried to get a new quote with fake details, and because in my area virgin area 20 is oversubscribed and densely populated.

I'm not saying they will, I'm saying if they do .

Back
Top Bottom