BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
This is what I don't understand below. Speedtest show my speed at 46mb (using powerlines) which is only 3mb below what BT say I should get. DSL checker says I can get 67mb as does Zen. BT shows 49mb though.

All 3 were using both my postcode and landline number.

DSL Checker
4jm4c7.png

BT Site
2gw9r90.png

Zen site
mjbxat.png

Associate
I'm on the infinity 1 package, unsure if this is the profile and I don't use the BT Hub 5. How would I check to see what I'm syncing at? I can plug that in if I needed to.

Associate
I ran the test on the BT Wholesale site and these are the results:

Download speed
help.jpg
achieved during the test was - 195.24 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds
help.jpg
is 27.5 Mbps-50.73 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 50.73 Mbps

Upload speed
help.jpg
achieved during the test was - 7.95Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

Soldato
My BT contract in a couple of months, just looked at their site and they are offering the same thing I have now, infinity 1 for a couple of pounds less a month. As we also have a call plan (£7.99) and find the call blacklist feature incredibly useful to block spam calls I'm quite tempted to re sign as we've had no problems with the service.

Soldato
I picked up some computer bits from a BT engineer that lived not too far from me and he had recently started to work for BT so he moved from Virgin to BT (as it was now free for him). He was lamenting that his download speeds had dropped quite a bit but his upload was twice as much at 43Mbs.

What are the maximums people are getting for download and upload on G.Fast?

Associate
I'm on the infinity 1 package, unsure if this is the profile and I don't use the BT Hub 5. How would I check to see what I'm syncing at? I can plug that in if I needed to.

you're on a 55/10 package, of course an upto 80/20 package from any isp, including the one you're already with, will give you more speed..

Caporegime
Does being on a lower package actually push your sync rate down, or does it just apply an IP profile? It's been ages since I saw anything that wasn't provisioned at 80/20 so I can't remember.

You need to get your router stats to see if what you're seeing is due to a potential wiring fault, or just a result of the package you're on. AFAIK if you've been on Infinity 1 for a long time then you'll have been upgraded at no cost.

Associate
you're on a 55/10 package, of course an upto 80/20 package from any isp, including the one you're already with, will give you more speed..

I do understand this but it's the fact that the BT site itself says I can only get up to 55mb when entering my details as a new customer. If I upgraded to Infinity 2 with them, can I be 100% sure that I will get a faster speed as their site says I can't but DSL checker and Zen say I can.

Update: I logged into my BT account and went to the upgrade section and not it says this:

Fibre broadband

Download Speed:

69Mb-80Mb
Estimated download speed range*

Minimum Speed:

63Mb

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I do understand this but it's the fact that the BT site itself says I can only get up to 55mb when entering my details as a new customer. If I upgraded to Infinity 2 with them, can I be 100% sure that I will get a faster speed as their site says I can't but DSL checker and Zen say I can.

Update: I logged into my BT account and went to the upgrade section and not it says this:

Fibre broadband

Download Speed:

69Mb-80Mb
Estimated download speed range*

Minimum Speed:

63Mb
To put you out of your misery as it seems people are not being clear with you; the physical line is identical across isps. They just rent the circuit from bt wholesale. Speeds will therefore match cross isps. Zen cannot provide anything over anyone else. :)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Does being on a lower package actually push your sync rate down, or does it just apply an IP profile? It's been ages since I saw anything that wasn't provisioned at 80/20 so I can't remember..

Yes each bt wholesale tier limits the sync, result is a huge excess noise margin showing alongside the low sync :)

Soldato

You need to check your sync speed in the hub details.

If it's below the sync speed for the top speed on the package i.e. so you're not getting the full speed on your current package, then buying the next package up isn't going to increase your sync speed.

If you're sync'ing at the maximum speed your package allows, then its possible if you buy the next package up you'll get more speed.

It all depends on what you're sync'ing at compared to the maximum sync speed your current package has.

Associate
You need to check your sync speed in the hub details.

If it's below the sync speed for the top speed on the package i.e. so you're not getting the full speed on your current package, then buying the next package up isn't going to increase your sync speed.

If you're sync'ing at the maximum speed your package allows, then its possible if you buy the next package up you'll get more speed.

It all depends on what you're sync'ing at compared to the maximum sync speed your current package has.

Thanks! I'll plug the hub 5 in tomorrow and check. Where in the settings for this do I look for this though?

Soldato
Anyone had good retention deals through BT, as an existing customer.

My BT Inifinity 2 (76mb) contract finished this month, so the price doubled from approx £30 to £60 a month. I am thinking of going to either Plusnet or Sky Fibre (both 63mb advertised), for under £30 a month.

I will call BT tomorrow to check, but are they likely to match even close to the competition's new deals?

(Checking my available upgrades throuh MyBT online only suggests deals closer to the £60 i.e. no better)

Associate
I just look at the status page. It'll say Downstream sync speed.

I found the helpdesk page which I think is where I need to be. It shows the below:

Does point 6 or 7 show the max speed I can get on my line? With Speedtest.net I get 46.84Mbps down and 46.6 on BT site. Can I get more?

1. Product Name: HomeHub5
Serial number: +076286+1528014958
Firmware version: v0.07.07.03230-BT (Type B) Last updated 12/5/2018
Board version: 01
VDSL uptime: 0 days, 00:02:57
Data Rate: 9999 / 54999
Maximum Data Rate: 22520 / 66852
Noise Margin: 14.6 / 9.2
Line Attenuation: 21.5 / 17.7
Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0
Data sent/received: 0.3 MB / 0.5 MB

Back