BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
If they charge VAT they have to show the VAT number they are charging it against so HMRC can check up later. If you notice, it either specifically says “this is not a VAT invoice” or it has a VAT number on it. And anyone can request a VAT invoice, so you know you’re not being ripped off by someone who isn’t VAT registered.
Looked it up, you need to request one.

Associate
Is it possible to replace the Home Hub with any other off the shelf VDSL modem? Ever since BT raised the speed on my line it's become a lot more unstable and disconnects almost everyday. It's was fine before with the slower speed and stable but it's now syncing at speeds the line just can't cope with and it's becoming a real pain in the ass. Would a new modem improve things or just be a waste of money? I've heard some models will allow you to tweak with the connection config settings so you can find the best profile for your line.

Soldato
Nice, upgrade from 75/20 to 150/30, smart hub 2 replacing the original, much better signal throughout the house, and rock solid speeds.

For an extra £2 a month, woot!

What's the overall price? I left BT because they wouldn't give any discount on the packages because I was in an FTTP area. Luckily went to Virgin Media and can bounce off both of them when there's price rises but before that I was just stuck with BT as no one else could offer anything similar!

Caporegime
What's the overall price? I left BT because they wouldn't give any discount on the packages because I was in an FTTP area. Luckily went to Virgin Media and can bounce off both of them when there's price rises but before that I was just stuck with BT as no one else could offer anything similar!
£42 a month now, but they are our only option for fibre, or the more expensive Zen

Soldato
£42 a month now, but they are our only option for fibre, or the more expensive Zen

That's not too bad. In 2014 I was paying around £32 for the 80/20 FTTP package and then only in 2018 is when the lowest price was creeping up to £40 then £46 after the price increase when I switched.

Even as recent as June I enquired about switching to BT 150/30 and the best price the FTTH team would be able to do was £45 for 18m, which was alright but it was still more than what I had with my existing provider.

Associate
Mines also 42 pounds a month including phone
Wow! £42! Is that for the Ultrafast package? At the moment I'm paying £39.99 for the "Superfast Fibre Plus" package and G.fast has just recently been activated. According to the dsl checker I can get between 169 and 135Mbps sync speed on G.fast. I contacted BT and the best they can offer me is £63 a month :eek::eek: for the Ultrafast1 package. Obviously I tried my luck phoning them (including the loyalty team) but including my phone line + International Freedom package (£8.50) + Ultrafast package for £63 is a joke. New customers are getting the ultrafast1 option for £39.99. In my case it's £54.50 (without the calling plan). I probably wait until Christmas or New Year to see if there will be any good deal/sale/offer...

Man of Honour
That's steep, I'm with Plusnet and mine's £33.25 for Unlimited Fibre Extra and that includes BT Sport HD. I've not long renewed.

Edit - are we talking about G.Fast here?

Associate
That's steep, I'm with Plusnet and mine's £33.25 for Unlimited Fibre Extra and that includes BT Sport HD. I've not long renewed.

Edit - are we talking about G.Fast here?
I pay £39.99 for the Fibre Plus (80/20Mbps) and want to upgrade to (In my case G.fast) Ultrafast1 (Max 160/30Mbps ?? I think) but BT gives me ridiculous prices...

Soldato
Wow! £42! Is that for the Ultrafast package? At the moment I'm paying £39.99 for the "Superfast Fibre Plus" package and G.fast has just recently been activated. According to the dsl checker I can get between 169 and 135Mbps sync speed on G.fast. I contacted BT and the best they can offer me is £63 a month :eek::eek: for the Ultrafast1 package. Obviously I tried my luck phoning them (including the loyalty team) but including my phone line + International Freedom package (£8.50) + Ultrafast package for £63 is a joke. New customers are getting the ultrafast1 option for £39.99. In my case it's £54.50 (without the calling plan). I probably wait until Christmas or New Year to see if there will be any good deal/sale/offer...
Yes ultrafast

Caporegime
Any recommendations on a router to use with the g.fast modem?

I’ve also heard from a friend who works for Openreach that this current g.fast implementation has the potential to be upgraded? I’m not sure if that’s a good thing if it’s another way to delay fibre to the property.

Caporegime

I’ve also heard from a friend who works for Openreach that this current g.fast implementation has the potential to be upgraded? I’m not sure if that’s a good thing if it’s another way to delay fibre to the property.
Openreach have stopped the rollout of G.Fast so I doubt they'll be looking to make improvements. I also doubt you'll be anywhere near the front of the queue for FTTP either.

TJM

TJM

Associate
You can never be too sure. An area that is suitable for a G.Fast deployment is also likely to be an easy hit for Openreach in its quest to drive up the number of properties passed by FTTP, which is all that anyone seems to care about at the moment.

Soldato
You can never be too sure. An area that is suitable for a G.Fast deployment is also likely to be an easy hit for Openreach in its quest to drive up the number of properties passed by FTTP, which is all that anyone seems to care about at the moment.

Id imagine BT would put FTTP in places which were at high risk of competition first above anywhere else so they can be first to market.

Soldato

BT don’t issue modems, you *might* get lucky and plead your case with the OR engineer.

BT Plus is a double edged sword, at least with g.fast. You get UK based CS, so the web team flat out refuse to deal with you as they are non UK and the UK web team only work UK office hours. You call and get UK based CS/faults, but when something needs to actually be done that requires communication with or intervention by the g.fast team, you’ll quickly realise it’s one bloke who just points and laughs every time the phone rings while running round the office in his pants licking the window, I assume they throw food/water in occasionally as if you’re really, really lucky then after a week or two of chasing, your CS/Faults team member might get a nonsensical response, rinse and repeat till you/the CEO’s office get bored.

Back
Top Bottom