BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
Yesterday I managed to get my Ultrafast connection upgrade sorted with BT. Ultrafast Fibre Plus (with the Smarthub2 and disc) for £49.99. It only £10 more that I pay at the moment for the Superfast Fibre Plus with the 1st gen smarthub. I'm quite excited, the new hub arrives on 8th November with the installation date set to 12th November. Can I ask if I can use the new hub right away once it arrives on 8th Nov. with my current connection? Just to make sure it all set up and working fine before the OR engineer comes on 12th to kick the new connection in.

Soldato
Yesterday I managed to get my Ultrafast connection upgrade sorted with BT. Ultrafast Fibre Plus (with the Smarthub2 and disc) for £49.99. It only £10 more that I pay at the moment for the Superfast Fibre Plus with the 1st gen smarthub. I'm quite excited, the new hub arrives on 8th November with the installation date set to 12th November. Can I ask if I can use the new hub right away once it arrives on 8th Nov. with my current connection? Just to make sure it all set up and working fine before the OR engineer comes on 12th to kick the new connection in.
As long as your with bt now there shouldn't be a problem useing it

Soldato
The DSL checker is a BT Wholesale thing, it won't show FTTP that is in the planning/delivery stage. The Openreach checker will.

Yet the Openreach checker for me says no plans for FTTP, whilst the Fibre First page shows my area as build-in-progress. Left hand, right hand.

Soldato
I'm currently on the Broadband and Calls Ultrafast Fibre 2 Plus and Calls package and paying £59.99 per month. I've had a message to say my discount is coming to an end (so £60 a month is the discounted price!). Do they still force you to take out a landline with them? Even though I'm only connected via FTTP. I don't have a phone connected to it as everyone in my household just uses their mobile phone.

While the speed and reliability for BTs FTTP can't really be faulted, because of the lack of competition, they can almost charge whatever they want. Before I moved, I used to be able to play Virgin off against other FTTC providers.

Caporegime
I'm currently on the Broadband and Calls Ultrafast Fibre 2 Plus and Calls package and paying £59.99 per month. I've had a message to say my discount is coming to an end (so £60 a month is the discounted price!). Do they still force you to take out a landline with them? Even though I'm only connected via FTTP. I don't have a phone connected to it as everyone in my household just uses their mobile phone.

While the speed and reliability for BTs FTTP can't really be faulted, because of the lack of competition, they can almost charge whatever they want. Before I moved, I used to be able to play Virgin off against other FTTC providers.
No landline needed with FTTP although it may not be cheaper without it. Not sure if a Sky have launched their FTTP offering yet though. Look around, it’s becoming more popular.

Soldato

I'm on the same package for £46 a month. Their standard price has dropped though to £60 a month, so I doubt your price will really increase.

Soldato

Trying to play Virgin off against standard FTTC services only works so far. I'm on 350Mb and the fastest I can get from any other provider would be about 40. Virgin aren't idiots and will know this, so any threats I make to go elsewhere are likely to be fairly hollow.

Caporegime
Openreach are turning something crazy like 18k premises per week on for being able to order FTTP, just a mind boggling operation

Soldato
Openreach are turning something crazy like 18k premises per week on for being able to order FTTP, just a mind boggling operation
I'd even settle for G.fast at this point but FTTP would be amazing. Just switched my FTTC from Plusnet to Vodafone and now I'm playing the waiting game to see if my sync speeds will settle around the same. So far it's gone from 78/20 to 61/16. I never saw below 70 Mb/s syncs with Plusnet but it does currently have a "maximum" sync speed of 74/16 so I'm hoping it'll at least get up to that after the initial 10 days.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Sounds like you need to wait for DLM to kill off interleaving and turn on G.INP. That should boost your speeds, might even see a 3dB profile in time too, depending on your cabinet etc.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
You just have to play the waiting game. As you migrated to a new ISP the line is 'seen' as a new line so any old DLM info isn't carried over.

(I've always thought this was a bit odd, but there you go, I assume there is a reason for it)

Back
Top Bottom