BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Does anyone have any idea how long it typically takes from announcement to "in progress" to availability?

My area (Solihull/Shirley) was announced in July last year and the map shows we're "in progress" but I'm trying to gauge how long before it's actually available. I appreciate this isn't an exact science but is it likely to be a few months, later this year, or next year?

Reason being that VM (who I'm currently with) are bringing their gigabit service here in March but I don't want to commit to an 18-month term only to find FTTP arrives in a few months and offers a better deal.

Soldato
Does anyone have any idea how long it typically takes from announcement to "in progress" to availability?

My area (Solihull/Shirley) was announced in July last year and the map shows we're "in progress" but I'm trying to gauge how long before it's actually available. I appreciate this isn't an exact science but is it likely to be a few months, later this year, or next year?

Reason being that VM (who I'm currently with) are bringing their gigabit service here in March but I don't want to commit to an 18-month term only to find FTTP arrives in a few months and offers a better deal.

Think for me I saw work being done in August iirc, then orders went live December, and my fibre install was completed February. This was 2 years ago, so might be faster now, think the main delay was the lack of engineers to install the fibre to the house.

Soldato
Eeep

:D

109-A0-E3-D-EC7-F-43-A4-8010-892-A2-EC7-F379.jpg

RSR

RSR

Soldato
FTTPoD update as Openreach completed my site survey today, I was informed no extra construction work was required and all the ducting is clear.

So, as I understand it, it’s a 700M~ run from the aggregation node and termination. I’ll wait for the final quote now to see what it comes out at which is interesting as on the desktop survey they have stated that the aggregation node was 200-399M away.

Caporegime
Yeah but it's not a leased line either. Leased lines are about more than the speed.

I don't think the BT Wholesale pricing is terrible, and there are a lot more providers than BTW anyway. The Openreach pricing is pretty sound.

Soldato
Andddddddddddddddddddddd bt just lost a sale....

No way am i paying more than £60 a month for 1gbps - Vodafone do 1gbps up and down for £48! Bt come onn

Are people really still comparing headline prices? Work out the contract cost, deduct the value of any gift card/cash back/gift/additional beneficial service discount costs you’ll use. BT charge me £59.99, in reality it’s cost under £20/m over two years allowing for £150 cash back, gift cards, free Amazon Alexa, linked mobile SIM card discount. Chuck in the hundreds of pounds for 3-4 months of messing about at install and two CEO deadlock letters and multiple complaints before they listened and I have made a few hundred quid over two years from g.fast, even at £19.57/m it’s still cheaper than FTTC.

Associate
I’ve been put on the BT full fibre trial, installation on the 18th! What’s better than full fibre broadband? FREE (for X months?) Full fibre broadband!

Nice! I am still waiting for them to actually do something other than enrol me into the trial! Have they told you what speed you will have or how long it will last?

EDIT: They are placing my order this week - wahoo!

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice! I am still waiting for them to actually do something other than enrol me into the trial! Have they told you what speed you will have or how long it will last?

EDIT: They are placing my order this week - wahoo!

I’ve not been told about the speed band we’ll be put on, but I’ve had all the emails about someone wanting to take over my line :D. I don’t know how long the trial will last, but I hope I don’t have much downtime should I wish to go back to my current FTTC line.

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
My line has now migrated over to AA ISP. However, I am now down to 36Mb/20Mb, so in total now I have lost 50% on my speed on FTTC. My ping has also gone from 5ms to 14ms currently as well.

Lets see how AA ISP get on with it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom