1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by michellez, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Ayahuasca

Capodecina

Could be that DLM has kicked in due to the length of time the line was down.

2. Armageus

Don

Good point - I'll give it a few days and see what happens.
    I've already tried asking Plusnet for a DLM reset, but they won't do anything at present as are prioritising other faults above speed issues due to Covid.

Can't see how I can of made anything worse - removing 4m of cabling, and jelly crimps, as well as getting the line away from a potential source of interference can only be a benefit (and the increase to upstream at least shows there's some potential imo)

3. SixTwoSix

Capodecina

Got my Ultrafast install friday, world of difference going from 30Mb up to 150Mb.

Getting the full speed via wifi as well through a few floors/walls which was never possible even for 30Mb with the old router.

Logged in and I have an offer for 900Mb that wasn't there when I placed my initial order for 150Mb 3 months ago...would be rude not to try :D

4. lltfdaniel

Wise Guy

My street as of today is being dug up and installing fttp/ftth to my street.

They started today.

Dan.

5. Caged

Capodecina

If the street is being dug up is that not the Cityfibre deployment?

6. lltfdaniel

Wise Guy

Not sure but i took a photo of what is being done on my street.

Edit removed photo due to privacy concerns.

I had a letter below saying fibre to the home is coming to my street before they started to dig up my street with picture below.

[​IMG]

So 9 times out of 10 i believe they are installing fibre on my street.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  7. Jez

Caporegime

^ They are :) He was just wondering if it was by Openreach or a third party such as Cityfibre.

8. MissChief

Capodecina

9. lltfdaniel

Wise Guy

Thank you, yes in my area of Bournemouth it is indeed city fibre doing all of that work.

[​IMG]

10. Caged

Capodecina

Maybe we need a non-Openreach FTTP thread

11. lltfdaniel

Wise Guy

Yep ^ :).

Anyways the thread will get back on track.

I won't be starting a non open reach fttp but it will be relevant.

12. Caged

Capodecina

13. lltfdaniel

Wise Guy

Thank you for this @Caged i will be talking to some of my neighbours here to see if they agree to the friend thingy.

Indeed only vodafone but for the sake of a full fibre isp i will be signing up as soon as possible.

14. ChrisD.

Capodecina

I've got this showing for my local FTTC cabinet on one.network (new name for the roadworks.org site):

Is there any hope that this may be related to FTTP?

15. the-evaluator

Wise Guy

Probably not, FTTP doesn't use a DSLAM module. Plus the cable routing between you and the Exchange won't necessarily go via the FTTC cabinet. In my case, I've had FTTP for a week but Openreach are only today sorting the ducting around the cabinet that my copper line is connected to.

What does the Openreach fibre checker (https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-first#FibrecheckerX) say?

16. ChrisD.

Capodecina

Just that FTTC is coming (we already have it but the cabinet is always full) and that there are no plans for FTTP. I have a feeling it's a new cabinet, expansion cards or a replacement cabinet.

17. Armageus

Don

@Ayahuasca - I got impatient and started poking around...

/facepalm

Looks like I'd been running the wrong Draytek modem code since last time I updated (as normally get it direct from their ftp site). "Upgraded" to the latest one from their UK website (with the correct _BT suffix), and the snr/attainable fluctuations (as well as numerous CRC errors) seem to have stopped instantly.

So probably unnecessary to have moved my Master Socket after all :D

18. Ayahuasca

Capodecina

LOL, we live and learn :D

19. sparkymark75

Mobster

Finally managed to get the upgrade to Fibre 900. They either fixed the database issue or changed something at the exchange as the max available was 330 until I checked again yesterday. Gave them a call, told the best they could do was £67 per month. Called again, this time to cancel (was out of contract), was offered it for £55pm, which is a fiver cheaper than I was paying for the 300 package.

Upgrade went live overnight, wired speed tests seems to top out around the 500-600Mbps range. Upload speed is excellent though. I know technically you should get the max speed straight away but did anyone find their speeds improved over time?

20. robj20

Sgarrista

No I've had 143Mb (150 package) the moment the router powered up.