BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Finally managed to get the upgrade to Fibre 900. They either fixed the database issue or changed something at the exchange as the max available was 330 until I checked again yesterday. Gave them a call, told the best they could do was £67 per month. Called again, this time to cancel (was out of contract), was offered it for £55pm, which is a fiver cheaper than I was paying for the 300 package.

Upgrade went live overnight, wired speed tests seems to top out around the 500-600Mbps range. Upload speed is excellent though. I know technically you should get the max speed straight away but did anyone find their speeds improved over time?

My 150Mb went ahead last Friday and was instantly max speeds. I then noticed the 900Mb option on My BT so went ahead for that. Went live last night, i've clocked around 850Mb directly to router by ethernet.

From what i've read on Bt forums, there is no DLM or training period, you should instantly have whatever your line is capable of.

Soldato
Upgrade went live overnight, wired speed tests seems to top out around the 500-600Mbps range. Upload speed is excellent though. I know technically you should get the max speed straight away but did anyone find their speeds improved over time?

You should get full speeds straight away. What speed tests are you doing? I find loads of the servers on speedtest.net for example don't give me the full bandwidth. The most reliable one I've found is Custodian Data Centre. Apparently it's more accurate if you use the Windows 10 app rather than the website.

Soldato
What router are you using?

A Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 4

You should get full speeds straight away. What speed tests are you doing? I find loads of the servers on speedtest.net for example don't give me the full bandwidth. The most reliable one I've found is Custodian Data Centre. Apparently it's more accurate if you use the Windows 10 app rather than the website.

I've tried a few; fast.com, speedtest.net, speed.ui.com, thinkbroadband

All come in the same sort of range, 500-600Mbps. Tried that server you suggested, it gives me 591/118 and a ping of 20ms. I've not had any issue with the upload speed being below what it should regardless of the test, just the download. Once I'm out a call, I'm going to plug a laptop straight into the ONT and see what that gives me.

Soldato
For comparison, using that specific speedtest.net server I consistently get results like this:

iFglCUP.png

Fast.com and speed.ui.com are both garbage. Fast.com tells me that my download speeds are 2.1Gbps whilst speed.ui.com won't go above 150Mbps. Thinkbroadband gies me the same sort of numbers you mentioned.

Try the Tele2 test files at http://speedtest.tele2.net/ and see what results you get. For comparison grabbing their 10Gb test file onto a Linux VM I'm getting healthy results:

Kphe4km.png

Last edited:
Soldato
For comparison, using that specific speedtest.net server I consistently get results like this:

iFglCUP.png

Fast.com and speed.ui.com are both garbage. Fast.com tells me that my download speeds are 2.1Gbps whilst speed.ui.com won't go above 150Mbps. Thinkbroadband gies me the same sort of numbers you mentioned.

Try the Tele2 test files at http://speedtest.tele2.net/ and see what results you get. For comparison grabbing their 10Gb test file onto a Linux VM I'm getting healthy results:

Kphe4km.png

Downloading that 10Gb file for me yields similar results to the speedtests. I've tried plugging two different laptops directly into the ONT and setting up a PPPoE connection. They both get a connection but are limited to under 300Mbps. So it's difficult for me to rule out my home network at this stage.

I've got the ONT -> ER4 -> US-8-60W switch -> US-8-60W switch -> PC I'm testing with

Soldato
If an area is "in progress" for FTTP, is there any way of determining what the progress is so I can estimate whether I'm looking at weeks or years?!

Soldato
Just plugged directly into the ER4 and still getting “only” around 611mbps. Need to dig out whatever router BT sent me 3 years ago and see how that fairs.
Plugged the BT Homehub into the ONT and plugged my laptop into it. Getting the numbers below, very slight improvement but that's probably because its as direct a connection as I'll get.

9620573677.png

Soldato
Not great, the upload especially. What download figures do you get from that tele2 speedtest?
The upload is probably because of the Homehub I'm using which is a few years old. I get the correct upload speed when using my EdgeRouter. I get around 43-45 MB/s downloading a 1G file from that site. It's almost like I'm on the 500 profile for download but the correct one for upload. Not even sure that's possible?!

Back
Top Bottom