BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Question for people that use BT FTTP with their own router? (i.e. I use it with pFsense) Has anyone found a way to get digital voice working with it without having to use the smart hub?
This was why I didn’t bother with BTs digital voice and will instead get a voip plan from A&A at £1.44 a month

Soldato
Looks like my neighbouring streets can order FTTP but I can't (blocks of flats). Openreach were definitely in the area doing the work in the summer and I kept getting emails saying I would be able to get it (and then saying I wasn't on the build plan). Is it worth ringing BT to ask or will their Customer Service people not know either way?

Man of Honour
Looks like my neighbouring streets can order FTTP but I can't (blocks of flats). Openreach were definitely in the area doing the work in the summer and I kept getting emails saying I would be able to get it (and then saying I wasn't on the build plan). Is it worth ringing BT to ask or will their Customer Service people not know either way?
You should probably contact Openreach.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Finally managed to work my parents out of their sky contract. Price going up 15%+ (mid contract rise!) so was given the option to jump ship but they still tried to dodge it, which is cheeky considering their comms were clear in offering that.

Anyhoo, any reasons to avoid plusnet as an alternative? I know some suggest against talktalk and seeing the above posts on voda yet neighbouring village another family member has had rock solid connection.

Just want plain FTTP (not the higher tier, just 80-150 or whatever will do) and reasonable cost, which PN seem to tick the boxes for.

Man of Honour
TalkTalk are fine, apart from their dire CS should you ever require it.

PlusNet are largely in the same boat, but their CS is better than TT.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
thanks @ChrisD. thought as much. I was with TT in one of my flats years ago in London and it was on the whole great, apart from CS. Perhaps I’ll get them to go with Plusnet then as while it may have its own issues, the customer service ‘may’ come in handy.

Appreciate the swift response.

Man of Honour
At least with PlusNet you can raise issues via their forum plus other means. My mum is with them and she’s had to get in touch a few times and their CS has been fine tbh.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Super. Much obliged all! One last thing… with the switch, the actual contract end date is now mid this month. Would there be an issue with signing up prior or should I wait until it’s say, five days out and then do it? I don’t want to end up with some additional early termination or something.

Man of Honour
Super. Much obliged all! One last thing… with the switch, the actual contract end date is now mid this month. Would there be an issue with signing up prior or should I wait until it’s say, five days out and then do it? I don’t want to end up with some additional early termination or something.
When you sign up to a new ISP, you get the option to choose a switch date. If this date is after your current contract end date, you shouldn't pay any early termination fees.

Soldato
Well, I emailed Openreach and they’ve sent me a form to send to complete to contact the building management co. Think I’ve already don’t this TBH.

Next step will be to contact the building management co. myself or I expect this will just fall into a black hole again.

Mobster
Soldato
Can anyone explain what these gaps are please?

Screenshot-2024-01-04-at-19-35-58.png

Is it an issue at thinkbroadband's end?

Back
Top Bottom