1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, we are running a Photoshop competition with a 32" monitor as the first prize - See here for details.

Budget NAS recommendation?

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by chickadee, Oct 11, 2018.

1. chickadee

Gangster

My trusty Netgear Readynas Duo is showing its age, its not exactly speedy but thats not the issue, the web UI refuses to work, i have tried reflashing and it just wont work correctly, Windows10 doesn't play game with the drive either so thought i would maybe look into upgrading.

I have 2x1tb drives currently in my readynas, older Samsung Spinpoint F1s, they seem perfect as i only ever turn the NAS on for backups. Im not adverse to buying a NAS prepopulated to give me more storage, 2tb (2x2tb) would be great.

All i want is RAID, a decent Web UI and media streaming around the house.

2. bledd

Don

Synology DS218J with WD Red or Seagate Ironwolf drives.

Or DS218 if you want something a bit more feature rich.

3. chickadee

Gangster

Does anyone know about the Asustor AS1004T, its a 4bay NAS, now i currently has 2x1tb drives which is fine for me at this time, i was wondering, could i get the 4 bay, run it with the 2 drives and when i want install say 2x2tb drives alongside the 1tb drives? im not sure if they have to all be the same size or not.

4. nicknack35

Wise Guy