Build advice

Associate
Hi everyone.
About 10 years ago I got some great help from this community in building my first gaming pc.
Unfortunately hard times hit and I had to sell up :(
Now the time has come to build a new pc ready for the new battlefield game.
As I've been away for a while components have changed a lot and I don't really know what I'm looking at anymore

Anyway could I get some advice on this build please.
I know I'm missing a few bits off of the list but I have a mouse and a keyboard already and managed to bag a bargain on a gpu today (you wouldn't believe me if I told you haha) I know I need a case and a monitor but is there anything else that I am missing?

Not sure if that bundle has a cpu cooler either?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £641.02 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Last edited:
Seagate Firecuda 510 drops £10 from SSD, if you don't want to go for base level WD Blue SN550.
Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB SSD PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive (ZP1000GM3A011)= £99.95
WD Blue SN550 1TB SSD NVME M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 Solid State Drive (WDS100T2B0C)= £89.99

Wouldn't trust those PSUs and neither does Kolink trust them with that short 3 year warranty.

Seasonic Core would be better with 7 year warranty.
Seasonic Core Gold GM-650 650W 80+ Gold Modular Power Supply= £79.99
Though higher up paltform based Phanteks AMP with 10 year warranty isn't much more.
Phanteks AMP 650W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply= £81.95
Though for mainstream level graphics cards also 550W qualtiy PSU would do.
Phanteks AMP 550W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply= £72.95

Thanks I will take a look at those PSU, I should probably mention I will be running a gigabyte RTX 3070 8gb too... not sure if this is a major difference in the PSU that I need.

As for the case, I'm still not sure what I want, I don't want to spend too much on one because I would rather the performance over a flash case, I like the sleek look like maingear cases and lian li but I want a full size ATX and good air cooling potential as I won't be running water in this rig.

As for the ssd m.2 I really have no idea about these, I need 1tb minimum for my games and OS so the faster it is the better, I will go with what ever you guys recommend

Last edited:
Good 650W PSU is easily enough for 3070.
750W PSU could take higher cards especially with 5600X like frugal CPU.
Phanteks AMP 750W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply= £87.95

Case selection is actually nowadays very limited compared to 10 years ago.
While there are lots of cases on sale, they're almost all copying all the same worst things and disposable design fads.
For example expandability for say more or newer IO ports has been scrapped with removal of 5.25" bays.
Thanks ill swap that psu over then that's saved a tad to put towards a monitor lol I have no idea about these either haha

As for the case I've seen the selection is really bad these days, I was looking for a CM cosmos 2 but there's none on the site but I'm guessing it's just personal preference on this

Unless you have forklift to move it around, CM Cosmos isn't sensible for this level PC with its huge size and weight.
Since Lian Li going all bling bling gaming stuff there really aren't any big cases without big weight.
And CM Cosmos really takes the cake in that.
I mean its weight starts approaching 30kg when you put parts in.
And without removing that HDD cage of main compartment, intake airflow doesn't get well to graphics card.

So I've found a case I quite like the looks of, it's not in stock but there is a B grade in stock, I'm not too fussed about a b grade case because it saves money and I'm more interested in what's inside lol I've added it to basket for you to look at, I also don't quite understand what a midi case is, I'm guessing it's not a micro and nits not quite a full tower?

Total: £789.92 (includes shipping: £14.10)​

Having a look at these monitors and their prices and my budget, what I think I might do is buy a used case to save some money and put that towards a monitor, I also need to buy a table for all of this too haha I'm extremely lucky that I got the RTX 3070 at a reasonable price of sweet F.A which has helped me with my budget when I saw that GPUs are out of stock and massively inflated prices everywhere I was beginning to abandon hope on building this PC

I would also say 3440 x 1440p is great if wanting a larger size with 34-35 inch screens. I find this resolution very immersive and slightly less demanding than 4k, so a 3070 could easily push higher fps like 120 or 144 at this resolution.

I would love a bigger screen but it comes down to price for me at the moment :(
I don't want less than 27" as I'm playing battlefield 3 again but it's on my 15.6" laptop and it's very hard to see what's going on Lol
But saying that, I also don't want a monitor that will not give me the benefits of the card quality but that is also reflected in the price :(

Your welcome.

Did you see the mesh front fractual s2 it would allow slightly more airflow ?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/b-gr...e-blackout-dark-tempered-glass-bg-01v-fd.html

Yes I've seen that case it looks good but I'm really not a fan of the mesh on the front, I really want a maingear f131 case but they are not for sale unfortunately so I've been trying to find on thats similar in design but as suggested earlier there isn't many options available for a case these days compared to 10 years ago when I built my 1st pc, when I built that one I bought a CM storm trooper but looking at that now I don't know what I was thinking

Ah yeah that's fair, they are pretty expensive! Don't have one myself but 27 inch 1440p is probably the sweet spot for price/features. It's much better than 1080p and not that bad to run, especially with your 3070 that will blitz that res for pretty much every game

Yeh im trying to save money where I can so I can invest in a decent monitor, I'm very fortunate I saved a lot on the graphics card

That 3070 you got is an insane deal, that might be the get of the decade haha

Funny story behind that is, I helped spec a gaming pc for my brothers friend almost 2 years ago.
As there's a massive inflation in prices and no stock on GPU's anywhere I decided to message him to see if he had upgraded he's rig which he hadn't but he told me he had an rtx but he doesn't know which one and it has a bent pin in the pcie so I could have he's gpu which was a red devil 6700x if I remember correctly, anyway I turned up to he's house yesterday and he come out to the car with the 3070 so I plugged it in to my brother in laws pc and there's nothing wrong with it at all haha I feel like I won the lottery

What size resoloution ?

As best resolution as I can get for the £200-300 mark in a minimum 27" I'm not too sure on what I'm looking at really because of the different types of lighting like led, led etc I don't know what is considered a good refresh rate or fps etc

I asked my brother in law and he said LG 27GP850-B or an odyssey G7 but they are out of my price range lol

Gsync means you can match nvidia graphics display rate to the monitor so theres no lag .

Freesync is AMD version of hhe same.

HDR, or high-dynamic range it can usually offer brighter highlights and a wider range of color detail, for a punchier image overall.

Ahh thanks for explaining that ☺ I'm guessing all that comes with a bigger price tag?

One of the best options but i cant go threw everyone you will have to compare yourself.

You have a 3070 so gsync makes sense and is available within budget , you dont have to have gsync but it helps eliminate lag which can cause screen tearing.

Ahh I see, well I appreciate that mate and I now have the knowledge to do some comparing so thank you

If you have normal room illumination, IPS would be all around best for gaming.
Modern IPS panels have consistently good response times and overall image quality is as good as LCD can give.
(which is far cry from self emissive pixel techs)

Again if you have/prefer darkened room, then VA panel's way best of LCDs contrast gives best looking image with lot better black.
Though there's price for that with VA panel suffering from horizontal gamma shift known as "black crush".
And almost all VAs having lot slower dark shade response times known as "black smear":
https://youtu.be/34bqY7CToHg?t=318
(Odyssey G7 would be exception to that response time "challenge")

LED is marketing BS for trying sell same old compromised LCD as different tech just because of some difference in backlight.

GSync is another marketing ploy:
Real meaning is you paying for Nvidia to get ball and chain locked into your ankle for marriage into Nvidia to pay their prices in future.

FreeSync (name used for open VESA standard AdaptiveSync) works with any graphics card, including Intel's cards coming late this year/next year.
While Intel doesn't have track record (except bad one) in gaming graphics cards, they have huge resources and could bring major competion in couple years.

So zero sense in other than FreeSync monitor.

For that price there's actually plenty of options.

LG has standard sRGB gamut IPS model in 27" size.
LG 27" 27GN800-B 2560x1440 IPS 144Hz 1ms FreeSync/G-Sync LED Widescreen Gaming Monitor= £278.99
And LG 27GL850, which has one of the fastest response time panels with DCI-P3 gamut is in discount.
LG 27GL850-B 27" 2560x1440 NANO IPS 144Hz 1ms FreeSync/G-Sync Compatible Widescreen LED Gaming Monit= £299.99
Though that LG's first-gen Nano-IPS panel has bad contrast even for IPS and it would be bad choise for dimmer room illumination.
27GN800 is same for contrast.

Then there's also sRGB gamut VA in 32" size.
LG 32" 32GN600-B 2560x1440 VA 165Hz 1ms MBR FreeSync HDR10 Widescreen LED Backlit Gaming Monitor= £279.95

AOC has 27" wider gamut VA.
AOC Q27G2U/BK 27" 2560x1440 VA 144Hz 1ms FreeSync Widescreen LED Backlit Gaming Monitor= £279.95

Viewsonic has 27" IPS with quite normal DCI-P3 gamut.
Viewsonic 27" VX2705-2KP-MHD 2560x1440 IPS 144Hz 1ms FreeSync Premium Widescreen LED Backlit Gaming= £279.95
Not sure of actual contrast/whose panel it has.

This MSI again has likely AU Optronics panel with high for IPS contrast.
MSI OPTIX 27" G273QF 2560x1440 IPS 165Hz 1ms FreeSync/G-Sync Widescreen LED Backlit Gaming Monitor= £298.99

That's some great info, I do like the looks of the msi one but it's out of stock

Most of my gaming will be around 9pm once my kids are asleep so usually would be pretty dark by that time.
I have been looking at this monitor and wondering if it is any good?
With the odyssey having a good rep I figured I would look at other models in my price range and I'm also intrigued by it having a curved screen

Total: £306.05 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Back
Top Bottom