Build advice

Associate
Hi everyone.
About 10 years ago I got some great help from this community in building my first gaming pc.
Unfortunately hard times hit and I had to sell up :(
Now the time has come to build a new pc ready for the new battlefield game.
As I've been away for a while components have changed a lot and I don't really know what I'm looking at anymore

Anyway could I get some advice on this build please.
I know I'm missing a few bits off of the list but I have a mouse and a keyboard already and managed to bag a bargain on a gpu today (you wouldn't believe me if I told you haha) I know I need a case and a monitor but is there anything else that I am missing?

Not sure if that bundle has a cpu cooler either?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £641.02 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Soldato
Seagate Firecuda 510 drops £10 from SSD, if you don't want to go for base level WD Blue SN550.
Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB SSD PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive (ZP1000GM3A011)= £99.95
WD Blue SN550 1TB SSD NVME M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 Solid State Drive (WDS100T2B0C)= £89.99

Wouldn't trust those PSUs and neither does Kolink trust them with that short 3 year warranty.

Seasonic Core would be better with 7 year warranty.
Seasonic Core Gold GM-650 650W 80+ Gold Modular Power Supply= £79.99
Though higher up paltform based Phanteks AMP with 10 year warranty isn't much more.
Phanteks AMP 650W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply= £81.95
Though for mainstream level graphics cards also 550W qualtiy PSU would do.
Phanteks AMP 550W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply= £72.95

Associate
OP
Seagate Firecuda 510 drops £10 from SSD, if you don't want to go for base level WD Blue SN550.
Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB SSD PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive (ZP1000GM3A011)= £99.95
WD Blue SN550 1TB SSD NVME M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 Solid State Drive (WDS100T2B0C)= £89.99

Wouldn't trust those PSUs and neither does Kolink trust them with that short 3 year warranty.

Seasonic Core would be better with 7 year warranty.
Seasonic Core Gold GM-650 650W 80+ Gold Modular Power Supply= £79.99
Though higher up paltform based Phanteks AMP with 10 year warranty isn't much more.
Phanteks AMP 650W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply= £81.95
Though for mainstream level graphics cards also 550W qualtiy PSU would do.
Phanteks AMP 550W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply= £72.95

Thanks I will take a look at those PSU, I should probably mention I will be running a gigabyte RTX 3070 8gb too... not sure if this is a major difference in the PSU that I need.

As for the case, I'm still not sure what I want, I don't want to spend too much on one because I would rather the performance over a flash case, I like the sleek look like maingear cases and lian li but I want a full size ATX and good air cooling potential as I won't be running water in this rig.

As for the ssd m.2 I really have no idea about these, I need 1tb minimum for my games and OS so the faster it is the better, I will go with what ever you guys recommend

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Soldato
Thanks I will take a look at those PSU, I should probably mention I will be running a gigabyte RTX 3070 8gb too...
Good 650W PSU is easily enough for 3070.
750W PSU could take higher cards especially with 5600X like frugal CPU.
Phanteks AMP 750W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply= £87.95

Case selection is actually nowadays very limited compared to 10 years ago.
While there are lots of cases on sale, they're almost all copying all the same worst things and disposable design fads.
For example expandability for say more or newer IO ports has been scrapped with removal of 5.25" bays.

Associate
OP
Good 650W PSU is easily enough for 3070.
750W PSU could take higher cards especially with 5600X like frugal CPU.
Phanteks AMP 750W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply= £87.95

Case selection is actually nowadays very limited compared to 10 years ago.
While there are lots of cases on sale, they're almost all copying all the same worst things and disposable design fads.
For example expandability for say more or newer IO ports has been scrapped with removal of 5.25" bays.
Thanks ill swap that psu over then that's saved a tad to put towards a monitor lol I have no idea about these either haha

As for the case I've seen the selection is really bad these days, I was looking for a CM cosmos 2 but there's none on the site but I'm guessing it's just personal preference on this

Soldato
2560x1440 is the golden middle in gaming monitors and choise is plentiful especially in 27" size.
If wanting bigger, 32" size is new for 100+ Hz gaming monitors with only few models especially for IPS.

Unless you have forklift to move it around, CM Cosmos isn't sensible for this level PC with its huge size and weight.
Since Lian Li going all bling bling gaming stuff there really aren't any big cases without big weight.
And CM Cosmos really takes the cake in that.
I mean its weight starts approaching 30kg when you put parts in.
And without removing that HDD cage of main compartment, intake airflow doesn't get well to graphics card.

Associate
OP
Unless you have forklift to move it around, CM Cosmos isn't sensible for this level PC with its huge size and weight.
Since Lian Li going all bling bling gaming stuff there really aren't any big cases without big weight.
And without removing that HDD cage of main compartment, intake airflow doesn't get well to graphics card.

So I've found a case I quite like the looks of, it's not in stock but there is a B grade in stock, I'm not too fussed about a b grade case because it saves money and I'm more interested in what's inside lol I've added it to basket for you to look at, I also don't quite understand what a midi case is, I'm guessing it's not a micro and nits not quite a full tower?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £789.92 (includes shipping: £14.10)​

Associate
OP
Having a look at these monitors and their prices and my budget, what I think I might do is buy a used case to save some money and put that towards a monitor, I also need to buy a table for all of this too haha I'm extremely lucky that I got the RTX 3070 at a reasonable price of sweet F.A which has helped me with my budget when I saw that GPUs are out of stock and massively inflated prices everywhere I was beginning to abandon hope on building this PC

Associate
2560x1440 is the golden middle in gaming monitors and choise is plentiful especially in 27" size.
If wanting bigger, 32" size is new for 100+ Hz gaming monitors with only few models especially for IPS.

I would also say 3440 x 1440p is great if wanting a larger size with 34-35 inch screens. I find this resolution very immersive and slightly less demanding than 4k, so a 3070 could easily push higher fps like 120 or 144 at this resolution.

Associate
OP
I would also say 3440 x 1440p is great if wanting a larger size with 34-35 inch screens. I find this resolution very immersive and slightly less demanding than 4k, so a 3070 could easily push higher fps like 120 or 144 at this resolution.

I would love a bigger screen but it comes down to price for me at the moment :(
I don't want less than 27" as I'm playing battlefield 3 again but it's on my 15.6" laptop and it's very hard to see what's going on Lol
But saying that, I also don't want a monitor that will not give me the benefits of the card quality but that is also reflected in the price :(

Associate
OP
Back
Top Bottom