Build advice

As best resolution as I can get for the £200-300 mark in a minimum 27" I'm not too sure on what I'm looking at really because of the different types of lighting like led, led etc I don't know what is considered a good refresh rate or fps etc

I asked my brother in law and he said LG 27GP850-B or an odyssey G7 but they are out of my price range lol
If you have normal room illumination, IPS would be all around best for gaming.
Modern IPS panels have consistently good response times and overall image quality is as good as LCD can give.
(which is far cry from self emissive pixel techs)

Again if you have/prefer darkened room, then VA panel's way best of LCDs contrast gives best looking image with lot better black.
Though there's price for that with VA panel suffering from horizontal gamma shift known as "black crush".
And almost all VAs having lot slower dark shade response times known as "black smear":
https://youtu.be/34bqY7CToHg?t=318
(Odyssey G7 would be exception to that response time "challenge")

LED is marketing BS for trying sell same old compromised LCD as different tech just because of some difference in backlight.

GSync is another marketing ploy:
Real meaning is you paying for Nvidia to get ball and chain locked into your ankle for marriage into Nvidia to pay their prices in future.

FreeSync (name used for open VESA standard AdaptiveSync) works with any graphics card, including Intel's cards coming late this year/next year.
While Intel doesn't have track record (except bad one) in gaming graphics cards, they have huge resources and could bring major competion in couple years.

So zero sense in other than FreeSync monitor.

For that price there's actually plenty of options.

LG has standard sRGB gamut IPS model in 27" size.
LG 27" 27GN800-B 2560x1440 IPS 144Hz 1ms FreeSync/G-Sync LED Widescreen Gaming Monitor= £278.99
And LG 27GL850, which has one of the fastest response time panels with DCI-P3 gamut is in discount.
LG 27GL850-B 27" 2560x1440 NANO IPS 144Hz 1ms FreeSync/G-Sync Compatible Widescreen LED Gaming Monit= £299.99
Though that LG's first-gen Nano-IPS panel has bad contrast even for IPS and it would be bad choise for dimmer room illumination.
27GN800 is same for contrast.

Then there's also sRGB gamut VA in 32" size.
LG 32" 32GN600-B 2560x1440 VA 165Hz 1ms MBR FreeSync HDR10 Widescreen LED Backlit Gaming Monitor= £279.95

AOC has 27" wider gamut VA.
AOC Q27G2U/BK 27" 2560x1440 VA 144Hz 1ms FreeSync Widescreen LED Backlit Gaming Monitor= £279.95

Viewsonic has 27" IPS with quite normal DCI-P3 gamut.
Viewsonic 27" VX2705-2KP-MHD 2560x1440 IPS 144Hz 1ms FreeSync Premium Widescreen LED Backlit Gaming= £279.95
Not sure of actual contrast/whose panel it has.

This MSI again has likely AU Optronics panel with high for IPS contrast.
MSI OPTIX 27" G273QF 2560x1440 IPS 165Hz 1ms FreeSync/G-Sync Widescreen LED Backlit Gaming Monitor= £298.99

Modern IPS panels have consistently good response times and overall image quality is as good as LCD can give.

Again if you have/prefer darkened room, then VA panel's way best of LCDs contrast gives best looking image with lot better black.
Though there's price for that with VA panel suffering from horizontal gamma shift known as "black crush".
And almost all VAs having lot slower dark shade response times known as "black smear":

LED is marketing BS for trying sell same old compromised LCD as different tech just because of some difference in backlight.

Real meaning is you paying for Nvidia to get ball and chain locked into your ankle for marriage into Nvidia to pay their prices in future.

FreeSync (name used for open VESA standard AdaptiveSync) works with any graphics card, including Intel's cards coming late this year/next year.
While Intel doesn't have track record (except bad one) in gaming graphics cards, they have huge resources and could bring major competion in couple years.

LG 27" 27GN800-B 2560x1440 IPS 144Hz 1ms FreeSync/G-Sync LED Widescreen Gaming Monitor= £278.99
And LG 27GL850, which has one of the fastest response time panels with DCI-P3 gamut is in discount.
LG 27GL850-B 27" 2560x1440 NANO IPS 144Hz 1ms FreeSync/G-Sync Compatible Widescreen LED Gaming Monit= £299.99
Though that LG's first-gen Nano-IPS panel has bad contrast even for IPS and it would be bad choise for dimmer room illumination.

LG 32" 32GN600-B 2560x1440 VA 165Hz 1ms MBR FreeSync HDR10 Widescreen LED Backlit Gaming Monitor= £279.95

AOC Q27G2U/BK 27" 2560x1440 VA 144Hz 1ms FreeSync Widescreen LED Backlit Gaming Monitor= £279.95

Viewsonic 27" VX2705-2KP-MHD 2560x1440 IPS 144Hz 1ms FreeSync Premium Widescreen LED Backlit Gaming= £279.95

MSI OPTIX 27" G273QF 2560x1440 IPS 165Hz 1ms FreeSync/G-Sync Widescreen LED Backlit Gaming Monitor= £298.99

As an owner of a gsync monitor I pretty much agree about free/gsync. I might be wanting to upgrade next year to the next gen nvidea or AMD GPUs and now that I've got gsync I can't get adaptive sync with an AMD GPU :/ so yeah lesson learned.

That's some great info, I do like the looks of the msi one but it's out of stock

Most of my gaming will be around 9pm once my kids are asleep so usually would be pretty dark by that time.
I have been looking at this monitor and wondering if it is any good?
With the odyssey having a good rep I figured I would look at other models in my price range and I'm also intrigued by it having a curved screen

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £306.05 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

I have been looking at this monitor and wondering if it is any good?
With the odyssey having a good rep I figured I would look at other models in my price range and I'm also intrigued by it having a curved screen

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £306.05 (includes shipping: £11.10)
While it has VA's contrast/black, it's also older typical tech VA with sluggish dark shade response times:
https://i.rtings.com/assets/pages/JRvPa2EA/charts-max-faster-large.jpg
For comparison here's modern high end IPS:
https://i.rtings.com/assets/pages/2OZkKMEW/charts-max-normal-large.jpg

So not the most ideal for fastest paced games.
Then again compared to typical laptop screen that's no doubt improvement overall.

But that 1000R curve is just off the charts:
https://youtu.be/go1qsBetgV0?t=187
That distortion is just horrible for normal use:
https://youtu.be/go1qsBetgV0?t=254

So would throw away lots of that big screen after laptop advantage.

Back
Top Bottom