Build for Nephew (Budget Inside!)

Associate
Hi Guys,

Back again for some wisdom from the OCUK community!

Ok so..

My nephew got one of those cheap ****** builds off ebay a long time ago and for whatever reason recently purchased this
- GeForce GTX 1050 Mini 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

which had slotted in the old PC, the old pc is basically on its last legs and dead tbh!

Can any of you guys spec me just a tower build for around the £300-£400 mark? including this GFX card above as its pretty new so may aswell reuse it in the build, would prefer an SSD even if its small as can use his old drive as a Storage drive.

He mainly plays games such as CS:GO, H1Z1, DayZ just games like this really so yeah any suggestions you guys could make would be much appreciated, operating system, mouse, keyboard, monitors everything else is already there, so I just need the parts and a tower to house it all in and I can build it myself!

Thanks in advance guys appreciate it!

Man of Honour
Intel have given some of there pentiums cpus hyperthreading which makes them very close to I-3 performance, but there is scope in your budget for upgrade.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £354.20
(includes shipping: £12.30)

Associate
OP
if budget can stretch to say the maximum of the £500 mark for the full tower obviously still including the gfx card I mentioned above as surely its good enough :)

Associate
OP
cool so same build as above just drop in an I5? can you link a suggested few and ill pick from them if possible? and cooling wise is that case decent enough? his room gets ridiculous sometimes!

Associate
OP
ermm I'll take a look the case won't be reuseable as the technical term for it is 'abused' it sits under his desk but its been bumped into by his chair a few times hence why its now moved to a shelf above his desk and is battered at the front but component wise, I think his HDD will be reuseable not sure on the PSU ill see which it has and write it here if you don't mind checking back later man :)

Associate
i3 7350k is massively overpriced and you would have to spend even more on a motherboard to overclock it, plus a cooler etc, not good value.

the i5 7500 would be my choice, a nice speed bump over the 7400 for a couple extra quid.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inte...ocket-lga1151-processor-retail-cp-62t-in.html

It will last him a long time and keep up with a couple of GPU upgrades in the future I would imagine :)

Associate
OP
sweet works for me, going to go with only the GFX card from his old pc is reuseable as his mothers pushing me and needs it ordering by monday latest, as I have to get it built ready for his birthday! his old pc was out dated and old to be fair id dropped the GFX card in recently to update things..

I'll steal the data drive out of his old pc as it had no problems and then roll the rest as a new system you guys have been most helpful!

so the above build that micky suggested with the I5 would be your suggestion guys?

Associate
OP
dave or micky either of you guys around? some of the items are out of stock any chance you guys would do me a massive favour or anybody reading this?

im in work at the moment so can't go load up a basket could one of you guys find me compatible parts that are just as good if not better and use the I5 suggested above if its better aiming to pay around that £450 mark but if it differs slightly its fine..

appreciate it in advance!

Associate
Replace board with

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...151-ddr4-micro-atx-motherboard-mb-69b-as.html

Replace the Pentium with the i3 that is on offer

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inte...ocket-lga1151-processor-retail-cp-62l-in.html

The Cheapest i5 IMO is quite pricey (with lower clock speeds) and the i3 should be more than upto the task of 1080 gaming even on really cpu heavy titles.

Swap the SSD for a M2 NVMe SSD too, the motherboard supports it and it is no more expensive and waaaay faster.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inte...id-state-drive-ssdpekkw256g7x1-hd-087-in.html

Associate
OP
cheers jobby appreciate the help, you sure it would be better to go with the I3 over the I5? and as for the M2 is it just as simple to set up as a standard SSD? ive never built a setup with an m2 in yet :)

Associate
OP
well obviously not better but more the i3 will do what the i5 would in terms of 1080p gaming and the games he plays? don't want it be dying out in a few years and my sister to have a whine at me, is setting up an m2 when building just the same as an SSD other than how it connects?

Associate
The i3 will do anything more or less at 1080, if you want to stick another 70-80 quid in it now you can do but I don't think it would make a massive difference currently, the i3 is a very quick chip. It is a semi budget rig and you have to draw the line somewhere, can always swap it in a few years when he has a paper round ;)

Yes the M2 drive just mounts on the m2 slot on the board, it seems a no brainer to stick one in as you have a slot for one.

Given ram prices I would say 8GB is fine, the B250 board has 2 more slots for future expansion if need be.

Hope that helps.

Associate
OP
cool the hyperx was on offer when he suggested it its gone back up too £69.99, and can't really say its massively better than the teamgroup elite black 8gb (2x4gb) kit for the £59.99 so ill go with the teamgroup to shave a few pennies there, hmm if its not worth the difference ill leave the i5 out then :)

Back
Top Bottom