[Build Log] The Define Project

Associate
Awesome, just awesome. You have inspired me to somehow mod my Silverstone case. Not quite sure what yet but seeing some of these pics and that case have given me the bug again :)

Associate
OP
Trying to finalize my colorway...

I present you with the "uber" pentagon colorway design:

8cz1YgR.jpg.png

Colors (MDPC): Black, Grey, Aqua Marine MKII, Shade, White, Shade, Orange.

And a bonus picture taken with my iphone and slightly edited in PS (very slightly, it was very good from the get-go):

nIRRZ54.jpg.png

Associate
OP
Been pushing work on the new rad mount. I ordered an aluminum piece that is bend to specific size, in a 'Z' form. This is because, I couldn't find an extruded piece that fits my needs exactly. Tbh, it's not feasible to really look for one as this is an entirely custom solution. It'd have been nicer ofc, if I could find one. Anyone thinking on making such thing, it's worth a quick check downtown before custom ordering a piece.

Like I mentioned earlier, I designed this thing to be modular. I don't think throwing fans on the rad and then on some plain adapter piece is a smart idea. That's because, when you think ahead, you realize it's better to preserve those modularity features the define offers in it's default form. So, in essence, the mount is screwed to the case and then the rad mounts onto it from the inner side (w/screws ofc). The inner side of the mount will have a 2mm sponge frame that will offset the fans to avoid those bulgy radiator screws. On top of that, I will use 2 stripes of slightly thicker sponge, that will sit against the fans. This plus two limiter pieces, will hold the fans securely inside the mount and make it easy to take the fans in & out. The top this, I also plan to add a 2-3mm dust filter that will keep that nasty dust out of the case (much like the default one).

In all of this, I was also taking into consideration a design that will minimize air escape.

So, after a lot of time and calculations, I moved from drawing to the real thing:

I drilled all radiator holes & made the first opening for a fan:

hpIGcik.jpg.png

I used a digital caliper to test the result and it came out perfect so tomorrow I will be making the other two openings. After that, it should be a rather quick process to finalizing it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Like I promised, more progress was done today... :)

I need to complete some more holes tomorrow and then I'm on to polishing one side of the aluminum (one side is already polished from factory). For painting it, I decided to check the anodizing option, which will give it a great paint, that's also durable!

BgHYNtO.jpg.png

L7z2j34.jpg.png

Last edited:
Associate
OP
le snake...

9905147126_b39b800fdc_o.jpg

testing inside the case:

9906161056_8d79cfce48_o.jpg

Done a lot of work today!

lian li case feet installed - check
case floor installed - check
case wall extension installed - check
himuro mount installed - check

The cable routing went exactly as I planned, so far I'm pretty happy with it!

to do:

1. finish wiring
2. sleeving everything that's left
3. finish my radiator mounts, some sanding and paint!
4. get a pipe bending tool (found a good one on ebay)
5. tap the 120mm radiator with m3 threads
6. prepare the copper tubing and paint it black (will be doing extra bunch of tubes to make it sli-ready)
7. rebuild my usb 3 cable (hard task)
8. prepare led wires for the block and res (might skip the res, we'll see)
9. flush the radiators and fittings
10. decide on pump controller placement
11. leftovers...
12. assemble everything

9923001784_487b24accd_o.jpg

9922934295_a8777bff15_o.jpg

9923295736_cb0dd95589_o.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom