Build or test outside the case?

Associate
Do any of you folks build or test before mounting the motherboard in the case?

If so, how do you mount the motherboard to allow airflow underneath and prevent shorting or static damage?

I'm about to start a new build, and wonder whether to install the CPU/heatsink/fan before mounting in the case.

Either way, I'll still end up with skinned knuckles :(

--
Bryn

Permabanned
Yup I would fit the motherboard onto the removable mobo tray, then fit the parts. Once that's finished slide the whole lot into the case.

To protect static I leave PSU plugged in but switch turned off. It's still grounded so touch the PSU every so often.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies.

The PC does not have a removable motherboard tray. I am still interested in powering up outside the case, but obviously I need to work out a way of supporting the board safely.

One picture on guru3d showed the board with all the connectors attached just sitting on the box it came in - no antistatic bag, no metal tray.

--
Bryn

Soldato
i put the HSF cpu and ram on the mobo before putting it in, then i put the HDD led cables etc. in and power for mobo and the cards, and finally all the drives.

works for me, i never test outside the case - too much hassle!

Soldato
Obvious point really, but you'll need to put it in the case before installing cards. Probably very little chance of maneuvering it in with graphics card hanging out it's slot :)

Permabanned
you can do it anywhere, ive done it on the carpet! ahem i mean built a PC on the carpet lol as long as it is not on a conductive surface you should be fine. Although to be fair i now build them on the foam packaging that i cover with the antistatic bag, this is the safes as it allows pressure to be applied to components and prevents unwanted earthing.

Soldato
I have built them inside the case straight off, or on a table.

I would NEVER build it on the carpet, too much chance of static IMO.

I also make sure to earth myself regularly on a radiator or a turned off PSU.

I rest it on the mobo cardboard box on a table. Put the mobo to one edge of the box so any cards installed just have the metal lug resting over the edge of the box.

HDD? DVD rom etc. arrayed around it and I either turn it on by shorting out the ON pins on the mobo header (NOT recommended, but I have done it) or I use the on/ off switch/ lead I ripped out of an old case as I knew it would be useful for just such a purpose. ;)

As to whether I build in or out of the case, depends if it's an MSI mobo nor not. ;) LOL

Permabanned
I just bung it on an AS bag and fire it up outside the case especially if I am going to be overclocking as it gives me much better access to jumpers on the mobo which would otherwise be a lot more tricky to get too once in a case.

Like below:

dscf0050bb2ta.jpg

Associate
OP
Jeff Crawly said:
I just bung it on an AS bag and fire it up outside the case especially if I am going to be overclocking as it gives me much better access to jumpers on the mobo which would otherwise be a lot more tricky to get too once in a case.

Like below:
I like it!

So you aren't too worried about airflow under the motherboard?

And you don't get any problems seating the add-in cards securely without a securing bar?

--
Bryn

Associate
bryn said:
So you aren't too worried about airflow under the motherboard?
It's just a test to make sure the components are working. You arent going to be leaving it like that for long.

bryn said:
And you don't get any problems seating the add-in cards securely without a securing bar?
Hang the motherboard over a slight edge so the cards can plug in firmly. The only card you need to be careful with is the VGA one, because the weight of the monitor cable might loosen the card from the slot (if it doesnt have a locking mechanism).

It'll be fine for the 5-10 minutes you'll need to test components.

Associate
OP
Dace said:
It's just a test to make sure the components are working. You arent going to be leaving it like that for long.

It'll be fine for the 5-10 minutes you'll need to test components.

I rather liked the idea of doing some of the basic overclocking tests out of the box, knowing that I could get to the BIOS reset jumpers easily :)

Soldato
Dace said:
The point is that its a lot more hassle when something goes wrong and everything is actually in the case.

yeah but you can fix it in the case pretty easily. it is just a lot of hassle for too little return.

daven

Associate
OP
Just came across an interesting comment on the harcoreware.net review of the OCZ DDR booster:
"most intelligent users will setup and overclock their hardware outside of their case first in order to find a stable overclocked speed before doing a clean case install"

Now, that's what I was considering..........

--
Bryn

Back
Top Bottom