Build your own server....

Associate
Anyone done this? like a gaming rig, did it work out cheaper?

When I say build your own server I mean using these guidelines:

1. Multi-cpu socket motherboard
2. Xeon etc (not desktop procs)
3. rackable chassis // case
4. redundant psu's (single one is next to useless)
5. sas drives etc
6. raid controller

Any links you would recommend if you did for buying the case // motherboard etc? shame they don't this here at OcUK

Cheers

Associate
Probably not worth the hassle, could look at Norco cases altho there are limited uk suppliers. Chances are you will be better / cheaper to get a low end one

Associate
Few people actually do this, mostly because it's enterprise customers who want servers so they really value things like onsite warrenty etc.

For quality components it doesn't really work out any cheaper either, might save a bit on disks but thats about it.

Soldato
It can work out cheaper but if it's for a serious application, then you can run into a whole raft on compatability issues. Then your saving goes out the window.

Before NAS boxes were so common / cheap, I built a storage server for dumping backups onto at work. Had a weird issue that unless you pressed space at the right time during the POST, it would hang when the RAID card started. Who knows if it was the Asus motherboard, Adaptec RAID controller, the HDs or something else?!

Soldato
Before NAS boxes were so common / cheap, I built a storage server for dumping backups onto at work. Had a weird issue that unless you pressed space at the right time during the POST, it would hang when the RAID card started. Who knows if it was the Asus motherboard, Adaptec RAID controller, the HDs or something else?!

:p

I bet that was fun to troubleshoot.

Soldato
Few people actually do this, mostly because it's enterprise customers who want servers so they really value things like onsite warrenty etc.

This,

Is this a hyperthetical question or do you need a server.

If you just want to experiment with server technologies you can just install a server OS on a normal workstation, or use a desktop virtualisation product.

Permabanned
Its not worth it at all when you look at some of the deals you can get on low end servers these days.

Everything is so bespoke when you take a rackmount job apart..

To even begin to try and replicate these things on your own is more hassle that its worth.

When you think about the fact you can get a cheap Dell or HP for a few hundred pounds, and they have a warranty too... its a no brainer.

Both HP and Dell take their support seriously, and in most cases you would have a replacement component the next day, with few questions asked.

Soldato
OP: build your own if you can live with being called out to swap stuff out. Building kit and supporting it yourself isn't really scalable and turns into a pain real quick.

It can work out cheaper but if it's for a serious application, then you can run into a whole raft on compatability issues. Then your saving goes out the window.

As much as I love Asus stuff, I bet it was the mobo :p

Associate
OP
Thanks guys - after doing a spot of googling there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in pricing tbh and you are right about the support benefit about buying a complete server off the bat

I have access to a data centre (but not free kit!) and was wondering what would be the cheapest solution to getting a server racked and looking at trying to make some profit from it?

Do any of you guys do this? (resellers etc) is there much profit in it these days? (prices are extremely competitive now)

Associate
Any links you would recommend if you did for buying the case // motherboard etc? shame they don't this here at OcUK

They do actually :)

But yeah - I generally wouldn't do it myself, I simply don't have the need for it. I build whiteboxes that act as servers for my personal use, and try and source Xeon versions of desktop CPUs as there are quite a few about. You just don't have the HW support you get with a HP or IBM...

Associate
OP
Do they? I had a quick look for multi-cpu socket motherboards here (i.e so I could build a desktop server with 2xSix Core AMD's niceee!!) but couldn't see any, maybe I wasen't looking properly! :D

Associate
OP
I never even checked there, how cool! damn see what you mean about the prices though, there is an AMD alternative here too:

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=4AUqWniKqYByIAxw

That baby will take the new 12 core procs!! (and quad) just a shame they don't produce a non-xeon // opteron dual socket motherboard, would be interested to compare two six core AMD Phenoms vs the I7 Extreme procs! (if you compare the price of the procs, you'll see why, and I'm sure a dual socket AMD (non opteron) motherboard wouldn't be that expensive...)

Associate
Building servers this way is only really worth it if you are doing it in large enough numbers to get decent pricing on the components direct from the manufacturers. This is how we do it at work for one of our server ranges so we can build whatever best suits the customer.

Back
Top Bottom