Building a computer

Associate
Hello, as of today i am going to start to try and build a new computer but have no idea of how to go about doing it, for example i don't know where to start as i have looked at different cases but don't know whether i have to take anything into consideration when choosing one. Anyway im looking for help on buying each part and on how to add that part to my build. If anybody could help me out on how to do this that would be great. Im looking to try and make a gaming computer with around a £1200 budget but would preferably not have to spend all of that.

Thank you Sam

Associate
OP
Thank you all for such quick replies :) wasn't expecting such a good welcome :)

@beejjacobs
Would this sort of setup be able to play top end games such as
Shogun Total War 2:
Recommended Specs (Recommended for optimum game play of Total War: Shogun 2):

- 2nd Generation Intel® Core™i5 processor (or greater), or AMD equivalent
- 2GB RAM (XP), 4GB RAM (Vista / Windows7)
- AMD Radeon HD 5000 and 6000 series graphics cards or equivalent DirectX 11 compatible graphics card
- 1280x1024 minimum screen resolution
- 20GB free hard disk space

or Crysis:
Recommended System Requirements
OS – Windows XP / Vista
Processor – Intel Core 2 DUO @ 2.2GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
Memory – 2.0 GB RAM
GPU – NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS/640 or similar

These are the sort of games i like to be able to play and maybe games coming out this year.

Thanks again,
Sam

Associate
OP
Thank you, I was looking at the graphics card that you have picked out in that list and i know that im going to sound like a idiot but what is over clocking and are there any cons to doing it?

Associate
OP
Also can somebody explain to me what the Crucial RealSSD M4 128GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive (CT128M4SSD2) is and what it does. Just interested.

Thanks

Associate
OP
This shows a comparison so you can decide :)
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/550?vs=549

Yes essentially they do. But the SSD is really good as a boot drive [i.e. it'll have Windows on it] as it'll decrease boot/loading times, then the hard drive is just for storage as a 128GB SSD can fill up quickly :p

With your budget I wouldn't consider a build without one to be honest.
Ok thanks

Associate
OP
IMO, with a single 1080p screen, a 7850 will do a very good job. With triple displays, you need all the horsepower you can get, hence the drop off in performance once the resolution increases.

It's usually a law of diminishing returns after a high-midrange card (7850 and equivalents). If you have the budget for it, why not. Also to consider, is that the more expensive cards are bigger in size, so you need to make sure they will fit in the case.

Ok ill probably just stick with the 7850 :):D

Associate
OP
Would any of these cases be compatible with the components i have at the top of the page?

and also are these of better or worse quality than the case that is already in the checkout?
Sorry for asking so many questions :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks Dervious

All in all which one of those cases would you go for?
I'm not really worried about what it looks like as long as it isn't stupid looking, or pink. More just looking for practicality. :)

Associate
OP
Cool i might go for that one then :).
Also i was just looking at the "how to build..." videos and i think i understand the hardware ok but the software looks really confusing, is it complicated as he makes it or am i being simple :confused:

Associate
OP
SO what do i need to install drives for? the SDD and the hard drive? because in the video he has a massive list of stuff that he needs to install drives for at 15:14 on the part two video.

Back
Top Bottom