Building a Log Cabin

Associate
[edit]

IMAGES FINALLY FIXED - 2014 - please can a mod move this to home and garden - TA.

[/edit]

January this year the missus turns around to me and tells me she is pregnant. There are a thousand and one pressing issues at this time, and one of them is "how the hell are we going to accommodate working from home and a child when we live in a tiny 2 bed". Luckily we have a large garden so we started looking into extensions. There was no way in the world we could afford it.

So we began to look for alternatives and we stumbled across the idea of a log cabin. Things went from there. Planning permission was first - usually you don't need it for cabins of less than a certain size, unless, as in our case, it would be within 2.5m of a boundary. We applied, drew drawings, bought maps of the Ordinance survey website (they wont accept googlemaps - bah) and waited.

In the mean time we speced the cabin. I sold my car and we used the funds to pay for it. We had it custom built from Keops Interlock to fit the space we had. 3m x 7m. 56mm logs and insulated floors and roof would keep it both cool in the summer and warm in the winter. The price was reasonable. Planning was approved and the build began...

First I had to sort the foundations. We are on sloping ground so that was easier said than done. I decided to do it myself - how hard can it be? I hired a mini digger and began. I used complex apparatus to set it out, 2 gaffa taped bits of 2"x2" and a 60 year old spirit level.

And after a weekend it was done. 160 quid for the digger for a weekend cant be bad, even if it was a bit banana shaped...

I decided that brickwork and copious concrete mixing was not my thing so hired in a local builder from Rated People dot com who slapped up the foundation surround...

Filled it in...

And concreted it - Bish...

Bash...

Bosh...

Last edited:
I ran power, water, a drain and a lan cable out to the base and started relaying the patio...

Sorted

Keops sent the parts and the build team on the same day. It took them 7 hours to put it up...

Last edited:
It was done by 1630...

I installed some rainwater buts to harvest the gutters for watering the garden...

Then had to get to the painting. The bloomin thing needs 2 coats of wood preserver in and out (about 20 litres) and 1 coat primer and two top coats externally, so I bought a sprayer to save some time... Safety First...

Preservative on...

I fixed the internal plumbing, waste and consumer unit...

And got out the sprayer to begin the external coats...

Last edited:
That looks great! Any inside pics?
How much concrete went into your base as I need a similar size base (3.6x7.2m) for my project for this year? Did you mix on site or get ready mix in?
edit - I just saw you got builders in for the cement and brickwork! Did they mix on site or get readymix (I need 2.6cubic meters so similar to the amount in your base) :)

Last edited:
Sure I'll grab some inside pics tomoz when its light and the paint has dried! There was about 6 tonnes of hardcore and 4 cubes of concrete in there. It was mixed on site.

Last edited:
We have a log cabin in our garden. It was used as storage at first but I've since made it my home gym :D

I remember when building ours the weather turned horrendous and I had to get up at 4 in the morning as the wind swept the plastic sheeting off and rain was getting inside :p

Last edited:
Has it annoyed your neighbours?

What do you intend to use it as? Given that you seem to be quite desperate for space with a child on the way, and it would seem to have two rooms to it.

Yes my mistake it was about 3.8 cubes I think. They mixed it all in a mixer and barrowed it in. Took the builders 2 days in total over the bank holiday weekend! They were priced well too and the quality was great - square and level, despite my dodgy excavations.

It will be a utility room for our white goods and an office for me and missus (and a bolt hole). Will also have a sofa bed for the parents to sleep when they come over (you can see where I am going here ;) )

It hasn't annoyed my neighbours, I made sure they were well aware of the plans from day 1.

how much did it cost?

I'll let you know when its finished :o Its not over yet... I think its going to come in at about 10k, which is what I got for my car, but saying that I did not account for how much the damned paint costs etc etc.... Anyway its at most a 3rd of the price of a similar sized extension.

Last edited:
Yep, its Kingspan insulated roof and floor, and 56mm slow grown Scandinavian pine walls. Should not need wall insulation, the thermal coefficient of the pine is top notch. We'll see in December ;)

Very nice! Looks like a quality cabin.

Is that base layer the final colour? If so which colour is it? I am making some bird tables and want to get a very light colour of stain that looks similar to that.

Back
Top Bottom