Building a Log Cabin

Not being awkward but what's the difference between a log cabin and a large shed? I imagine a log cabin being made out of whole round logs whereas that looks like normal planks.

It looks great but I just don't get the 'log cabin' thing.

Not being awkward but what's the difference between a log cabin and a large shed? I imagine a log cabin being made out of whole round logs whereas that looks like normal planks.

Glad I wasn't the only one expecting to see round logs :D

Hey all, thanks for the comments, I'll try and answer some of your questions and comments.

First I tried to take some internal photos but it does not really come out well on my camera phone as its a bit dark due to the window masking and there is no sense of scale as its empty so you'll have to wait for that.

Mark A; the base colour is a clear basecoat, the final coat will be slightly pigmented - it needs to have a slight pigment to protect the cabin from UV. I cant leave it like this as it not waterproof yet. The final colour will be slightly darker, however I am not doing that today as its gonna rain tonight.

1pudding1; its impossible to give it an exact thermal rating as it varies from log to log. What I can say is this is north scandinavian pine slow grown in cold conditions so the grains are very narrow. This is important as it improves thermal efficiency drastically, some of the cheaper logs you may see in some cabins in garden centres are not made out of such good quality wood.

Nightglow; We looked at an attic conversion but we have a weird roof and there's not enough headroom up there.

cainer; yes I laid it on builders sand mixed 7:1 with cement for the reason that I had 3/4 of a tonne left over from the building materials and we intend to block pave it next year when we have the money saved, so its only sort of temporary.

The Brooder - Keops Interlock www.logcabins.co.uk. It is custom made so not a model number. In fact we looked around the local cabin suppliers and it is much better quality than anything they could offer, plus they only offer standard sizes - here i got to spec the exact size, choose the rooms and the doors/windows etc and had it manufactured. Although the off the shelf cabin would have been cheaper, I would have had to put up with the prescribed size and by the time you add insulation options and double glazing etc the Keops custom made actually worked out marginally CHEAPER, plus they came and put it up for me.

Feek and Breeze, Difference between a log cabin and a shed. A shed is made froma frame with close boarded boards. This is an interlocked log system with double tounge and groove. The image below shows the interlock I also included a pound coin on the second image to give you scale of the log size.

[EDIT]THESE ONES ARE MISSING 2014[/EDIT]

yes a few of the tongues are slightly split on the ends, nothing to worry about so long as you work in the wood preserver and paint.

Last edited:

FEEK: Keops cabins are far superior in quality compared to a old common garden shed.

http://www.logcabins.co.uk/

They can even build your custom designs, have a look at the 'case studies'.

Last edited:
That looks very nice, certainly a lot more visually pleasing than something made from PVC.

True, but that said I was slightly taken aback by the wood treatments needed, and they are not cheap, plus I have to re-do the top coat every 5-7 years or so. Still it looks amazing and I haven't even finished painting it yet.

Treatments are;

2 coats of clear wood preservative (Cuprinol Wood Preserver Clear) in and out - About 25 litres at 39.99 per 5 litres
1 Coat of Base coat (Sadolin Ultra Base Coat) 7 litres at almost 60 quid per 5 litres
2 Coats of Waterproofer with pigment (Sadolin Ultra Highly Translucent Woodstain, Light Pine) - 15 litres at (Gulp) 90 sheets per 5 litres eeek!

Treatments are;

2 coats of clear wood preservative (Cuprinol Wood Preserver Clear) in and out - About 25 litres at 39.99 per 5 litres
1 Coat of Base coat (Sadolin Ultra Base Coat) 7 litres at almost 60 quid per 5 litres
2 Coats of Waterproofer with pigment (Sadolin Ultra Highly Translucent Woodstain, Light Pine) - 15 litres at (Gulp) 90 sheets per 5 litres eeek!

:O How much !?!?!

I've got to say the price of all the treatments has put me off!

Heh I can understand that, I had not budgeted enough money or time to sort it out, but this is the first treatment to untreated timber - this is a one off and MUST be done properly the first time so I had to suck it up.

There's an inordinate amount of labour to get all that paint on also, I would hate to have to brush it on. As it is I am spraying then over brushing to work it in which has saved a lot of time and back/wrist ache.

Maintenance will be 5-6 litres of the top coat every 5-7 years, about 100 quid, and about 2 hours work with the sprayer.

I've got to say the price of all the treatments has put me off!

It's effectively another house or an extension. The cost in comparison to an actual brick extension is tiny, why would it put you off?

You can always buy some 4x2 and build a square and throw a tarpaulin over it if you're that worried about the money :D

Back
Top Bottom