Building a new gaming rig.

Associate
Hello, I'm looking for some advice and hopefully some help in deciding which direction to go in terms of hardware.

I've decided to keep my current graphics card and that is literally about it (1070 zotac amp edition). It's a really big card, so I require a good case big enough to hold it. I will buy a new gpu when the new nvidia rage are out.

I have so decided to make the jump to 1440p and I realise that my current graphics card might be a slight bottle neck in some of the titles which I play.

Games:

Preferably I would like the computer to handle the total war games at 1440p. I know that these games are really cpu dependant and quite poorly optimized in terms of using more than 2 cores. This is where my main dilemma comes from; I'm thinking a 8700k is going to beat the new ryzen in total war games.

World of Warcraft is also something I'd like to be able to max out at 1440p as well as other rpg and fps games in the future. Although with a new wow title being released shortly I will no doubt be spending a significant amount of time on it.

I actually require a good 1440p monitor too. Is g-synch actually worth it?

I believe I will get 8 pack ram 16gb 3200hz unless people think that's a bad idea?

Motherboard: Preferably something that is easy to use, and easy to overclock the cpu if I decide to go with a i7 8700k.

I have to apologise for this long post and thank anyone for any assistance. Currently I'm moving house so I will reply when I can. But I really want to treat myself and future proof this rig.

Small note: I've never built a computer before.

Soldato
@Arawyn
New Total War games love threads and upcoming RTS games as well .
WoW new expansion takes advantage of threads as well , recommended is i7 4*** or FX8***

What's your current CPU ?

1070gtx should handle 1440p 60hz gaming

And have your tried They Are Billions ?? Damn addictive RTS game and final horde really hits my 8700k

Associate
OP
@Arawyn
New Total War games love threads and upcoming RTS games as well .
WoW new expansion takes advantage of threads as well , recommended is i7 4*** or FX8***

What's your current CPU ?

1070gtx should handle 1440p 60hz gaming

Current cpu is an i5 3570k bought from okers, it used to be clocked to 4.4ghz but it started overheating and blue screening so it's on stock now. Had it for years and will definitely be buying a new cpu.

Thanks,

Scott.

Soldato
Current cpu is an i5 3570k bought from okers, it used to be clocked to 4.4ghz but it started overheating and blue screening so it's on stock now. Had it for years and will definitely be buying a new cpu.

Thanks,

Scott.

What's your current case and cooling ?
If going i7 8700k and want to push the core.. need damn good cooling , 280 CLC/AIO or £75+ dual tower CPU cooler at least

And you happy to overclock yourself ? If not then non K Intel i7 or Ryzen X chip will do the work for you/plug and play

And key thing.. your budget ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What's your current case and cooling ?
If going i7 8700k and want to push the core.. need damn good cooling , 280 CLC/AIO or £75+ dual tower CPU cooler at least

And you happy to overclock yourself ? If not then non K Intel i7 or Ryzen X chip will do the work for you/plug and play

And key thing.. your budget ?

I need a new case, new cooling and I'm happy to overclock myself. Just need a user friendly motherboard. In terms of cooling I was thinking something like the all in one liquid cooling hydro series by Corsair. Just need compatible case.

Budget is a wierd thing. I'm willing to spend what I need for my requirements, but it doesn't need to be the absolute top of the range. So it's variable but I thought around £1200 (give or take) should cover it. Aesthetics doesn't really bother me to much either but a sturdy reliable roomy case with good cooling would be excellent.

Literally need everything bar the gpu, I have some smaller ssds that I'll use also. Will be buying a new psu too.

Thanks for replying,

Scott.

Soldato
Eisbaer released their smaller 360 AIO on here and beat corsairs flagship CLC range !

https://www.eteknix.com/alphacool-eisbaer-lt-360-cpu-liquid-cooler-review/amp/

But sold out here fast ! There's the slightly thicker version by bequiet , the silent loop. 30mm Vs 25mm thick rad and better fans - the unit is made by Alphacool as well .

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £837.41 (includes shipping: £12.60)

Or Intel - free copy of farcry5 with the board and overclock 8 pack ram to 3800/4000hz

Associate
OP
Eisbaer released their smaller 360 AIO on here and beat corsairs flagship CLC range !

https://www.eteknix.com/alphacool-eisbaer-lt-360-cpu-liquid-cooler-review/amp/

But sold out here fast ! There's the slightly thicker version by bequiet , the silent loop. 30mm Vs 25mm thick rad and better fans - the unit is made by Alphacool as well .

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £837.41 (includes shipping: £12.60)

Or Intel - free copy of farcry5 with the board and overclock 8 pack ram to 3800/4000hz

Absolutely outstanding reply thank you very much mate. Really like the look of the second build as I am certainly leaning towards with Intel processor for the higher clock speeds.

Do you have any opinions on which cpu for my needs? I understand that if I buy an i7 8700k then in the future I'll need to buy a completely new motherboard ect.

Overclocking the RAM pretty simple?

Also does anyone have any opinions on the monitor make and size. Is g-synch worth it.

Thanks again, this has been a great help already.

Scott

Soldato
Absolutely outstanding reply thank you very much mate. Really like the look of the second build as I am certainly leaning towards with Intel processor for the higher clock speeds.

Do you have any opinions on which cpu for my needs? I understand that if I buy an i7 8700k then in the future I'll need to buy a completely new motherboard ect.

Overclocking the RAM pretty simple?

Also does anyone have any opinions on the monitor make and size. Is g-synch worth it.

Thanks again, this has been a great help already.

Scott

That cofflake chip can only be used on z370/z390/h370/b360 boards. To be honest 8700k will last you 5 years easily !!!!

Associate
OP

Not keen on the cooler therw buddy. Think I have my heart set on an all in one liquid cooler. The case also looks quite small, will that have ebough room for the zotac 1070 amp edidition?

With regards to the monitor, is gsync worth it? I do actually want that kind of monitor.

Thanks very much for linking me that build.

That cofflake chip can only be used on z370/z390/h370/b360 boards. To be honest 8700k will last you 5 years easily !!!!

Well I think it looks like I'll definelty be going with the i7 8700k cpu. Although I notice that there are OEM and retail ones to chose from. And I've also seen this processor almost 50 pounds less in a different website, why is overclockers so much more expensive for the Intel chip? It can't be any different surely.

Thanks again,

Scott.

Soldato
Not keen on the cooler therw buddy. Think I have my heart set on an all in one liquid cooler. The case also looks quite small, will that have ebough room for the zotac 1070 amp edidition?

With regards to the monitor, is gsync worth it? I do actually want that kind of monitor.

Thanks very much for linking me that build.

Well I think it looks like I'll definelty be going with the i7 8700k cpu. Although I notice that there are OEM and retail ones to chose from. And I've also seen this processor almost 50 pounds less in a different website, why is overclockers so much more expensive for the Intel chip? It can't be any different surely.

Thanks again,

Scott.

Yeah those coolers aren't pretty, but you have to spend quite a bit on a AIO to beat it tbh - and they are about as good as air cooling gets.

That case should easily take your GPU - there is no drive cage at the front to get in the way.

Monitor wise - GSync can make quite a big difference - but it defiantly adds a price premium to the screens!

Man of Honour
If you have seen it cheaper elsewhere then get it from there as £50 is a significant saving. They are no different to the ones sold on here and if it's the same place I saw them on sale the other day they are a decent retailer as well.

If you want to overclock the 8700k then you have to have a Z370 motherboard. No other chipset will allow overclocking.

Soldato
Completely forgot about the limitations of h370, that build I posted either needs the 8700k taking out of it or swap to a z370 board - worth noting though that I believe that ASrock still lets you clock the memory past 2666 and I believe you can also fiddle with the turbo - but no point in K variety for that anyways

Associate
OP
OEM come in large trays for system builders , no retail box and year warranty. Retail comes in official box and 3 year warranty

Thanks for the explanation dude. Well I'll be posting here before my final order later in the week. Thanks for all your helps guys.

Scott.

Associate
OP
Soldato
I would have gone with the Gaming 7 for an extra £25 (Assuming you don't need the onboard wifi) as you get a free cooler worth £69 which you could sell. The board still qualifies for Far Cry 5 as well.

Soldato
I would have gone with the Gaming 7 for an extra £25 (Assuming you don't need the onboard wifi) as you get a free cooler worth £69 which you could sell. The board still qualifies for Far Cry 5 as well.

had the Gigabyte vesion of that cooler.. based of evo 212 but the fans are just aweful. might of bought one if they were £15 haha

Back
Top Bottom