Building a PC

Associate
Hello All,

I’m about to build myself a PC and looking for comments/recommendation from people who have better knowledge than me (which will not be hard).

Looking to build a PC for gaming, photo editing and other general IT stuff, a unit that I’ll not have to upgrade for the next few years.

The bundle I’ve spec’d is

Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gaming case
Intel Core 2 DUO LGA775 E6600 2.40GHz Retail / Asus P5B Deluxe / 2GB GeIL PC2-6400C4 DDR2 Dual Channel Kit - Bundle
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB ST3320620AS SATA-II 16MB Cache
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Professional 7.1 Soundcard - Retail
Samsung SH-W183 18x18 DVD±RW Serial ATA Dual Layer ReWriter (Black)
Seasonic S12 Energy+ 650W Silent ATX2.0 Power Supply
EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS SuperClocked 320MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket 775)

Do I install Vista or keep to XP at the moment?

Also any comments on interface cables would be much appreciated

Looking forward to reading your ideas

Thanks

C

Nice setup, do you have a budget to keep to?

The only hole I could pick in it is the CPU HSF - you might try a tuniq tower or a scythe ninja.

If you are going 8800 GTS, I'd stick with XP for the moment, the drivers aren't ready for Vista yet :mad:

Have fun putting that together :cool:

Possibly - depends what you want.

All things being equal, 2 x small disks running in RAID0 will be faster than a single larger disk. But you could loose all your data if one of the two drives fails (so, in essence you have twice the probablity of losing everything). Running 2 small drives in RAID1 will give you back up should a single drive fail but you only have a single drive worth of capacity.

Using 2 small disks, with one for programs (inc OS) and one for data can be a good idea but I would think about 1 small drive (perhaps for just the OS) and one large drive for everything else.

pcAnywhere said:
Possibly - depends what you want.

All things being equal, 2 x small disks running in RAID0 will be faster than a single larger disk. But you could loose all your data if one of the two drives fails (so, in essence you have twice the probablity of losing everything). Running 2 small drives in RAID1 will give you back up should a single drive fail but you only have a single drive worth of capacity.

Using 2 small disks, with one for programs (inc OS) and one for data can be a good idea but I would think about 1 small drive (perhaps for just the OS) and one large drive for everything else.

gets my vote every time, I've got two small discs (80gig) running RAID Mirroring and a 400gig for every thing else.

if one of the RAID discs fails you've got the second to fall back on.

doggo

Back
Top Bottom