Bullet proof method for cloning a system drive

Associate
I need to upgrade my ssd (Win7) boot drive to a larger capacity as I'm really scraping the bottom of the barrel now. It's an old 80gb which I'll be replacing with a 250gb ssd.

I've been looking for thorough cloning/migration guides which cover this subject but can't seem to find defacto versions which offer the exact task I'm looking for. I.e. I'm replacing the OS ssd boot drive and replacing it with another ssd drive. I'd also like to do this without buying any additional software, such as Acronis.

Another worry is the whole 'creating a clone of a system while it is already running'. Is this safe to do? Wouldn't some system files be locked and therefore be unable to be copied?

Any help much appreciated.

Edit. It's just struck me that this might also be suited to the software thread? However it's also about hardware.. If needed could a mod move it? Sorry for the confusion! It kinda fits both places.

Last edited:
Associate
I've used Macrium before and it's really easy to use, both to clone a drive and make a backup image. The personal version is completely free. I cloned the OS drive using the PC it was in and it had no trouble at all.

I've also had to use it to restore from a backup image when a Windows update got corrupted and screwed up my system.

Soldato
Yes, very user friendly. You have the option of cloning and imaging your drive. There's an important difference. Cloning will wipe the second disc of any information on it, which is what you want in your case. Imaging creates a file of your disc so that you can go back to it in the future. Think of them as zip files. You can image your drive at regular intervals (daily, weekly, monthly). This process doesn't wipe the second drive, it's just creating these 'zip' files.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies guys! @joey1211 Phew, I'm glad you said that! I didn't realise the difference between cloning and imaging. I think I'll be needing imaging then. I'd rather have the original ssd safe and sound for a while, just in case.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies guys! @joey1211 Phew, I'm glad you said that! I didn't realise the difference between cloning and imaging. I think I'll be needing imaging then. I'd rather have the original ssd safe and sound for a while, just in case.

It's the destination drive that's wiped, not the source. You'll have to clone to the destination or you won't be able to boot from it.

Associate
OP
I wish 80gb was still ok for an OS! In my opinion though, the time when that amount was sufficient is long gone. When you add on continual OS updates and throw in a few essential ssd installed programs like PS, you're already looking at a huge amount of space required. I'm so tired of scraping around trying to free a few extra gb.

Associate
Thats my point, leave the system drive alone and install apps on other ssd(s).

I recently got a large SSD and its already causing me headaches with modern games!

Soldato
Macrium Reflect will make very light work of what you want to do. I'd urge you to create a USB bootable device from within Macrium and boot up from this to clone your 80GB SSD to the new 250GB SSD.

If you have both SSD drives plugged in at the same time, it'll be even easier - you won't need an external drive as a medium for your image.

If you get stuck, just take a photo of where you're stuck and somebody will bound to be able to help you.

Associate
OP
Thought I'd post this here as it's kinda connected. Before I go any further I need to initialise my new ssd and the question of whether to use GPT or MBR needs to be answered. My understanding of GPT is that it's the newer method that allows disk sizes above 2tb, it's not backward compatible with pre win7, and that's pretty much it..

Which method should I use to initialise the new disk in readiness for the cloning? And also would my old disk's initialisation method have any bearing on the matter too? Say if my current drive is MBR and I try to clone it to a GBT disk?

I've tried to find out what method was used but my attempts so far have failed. I've been into disk management and chosen properties/volumes but none have showed me what initialisation method was used on my original disk. Let's face it, it's probably MBR but I can't be 100% sure.

Associate
OP
I went with MBR. I figure I can't go wrong with that and can always change when I update to win10 at some point. I've just completed the clone using an external USB enclosure for the SSD. It went very smoothly, Macrium is a nice piece of software. As you suggested @darael I made a USB boot device and created the clone via that.

Can I now just simply swap out the old SSD and replace it with the new cloned one? Do I have to drop into the Bios first and save the settings of the new SSD? Is there anything else I need to do?

Just want to make sure I'm absolutely clear on this next step.

Soldato
You can safely remove the old SSD and plug the new SSD in it's place. Use the same SATA port (ie: SATA port 0) and I'll be amazed if you have any problems at all.

Associate
OP
Thanks @darael Swapped the drives and after a odd windows repair message fail and reboot, I'm back in win7. :) I now need to extend the unallocated space back to C:

Checking out the Macrium thread linked above, it says I should run Disk Management and right click on the unallocated space and expand? When I right click the unallocated space tho, I don't get any expand option?? I only get a 'New Volume' one. However, right clicking on the already partitioned part of C: (containing windows) does give me an 'Extend' option. I'm guessing this is the option I'm looking for (the guide is reversed) and I select that to extend onto the unallocated section? I'd just like someone to okay this, before I go ahead. Is this correct?

Back
Top Bottom