Buy a X34A for £400 or wait for the new LG's in march?

Associate
With most things. People are most vocal when things are not wrong vs the silent majority who are happy. I expect while there are more issues with these panels then similar item's given they are being pushed up from native a fair bit, the majority on the whole will still work nice.

I have bought tons and tons of monitors and never once been disappointed. I think you are right that only the unhappy say anything, and just because a lot of people complain may just mean they sold more of that type of monitor. I also think that many people complain because they just had unfounded expectations. Like with IPS panels for example, if you don't like IPS Glow then don't buy one. Don't buy one and expect the poor supplier to change it dozens of times because you aren't happy with the amount of Glow it has. It's like buying a pet elephant and complaining about how much it eats. You should have bought a dog instead, maybe.

Associate
OP
I've got the monitor :)

Very happy with it guys, even though i paid £370 which is very cheap i still feel like the extra £370 just for G-sync and 1440p and curve may be a little over the top.

Still beautiful monitor, and yes lots of back light bleed lol.

I should be turning V Sync off in games and just leaving G sync on in the NVCP?

Soldato
Primary difference was in the stand design I believe, X34A can swivel.

In regards to fix's, you can get a crappy sample to this day with even the PG348Q and X34A to be honest. The quality is hit and miss to an extent on these panels. As I say, if the sample is decent, so reasonable BLB / Glow (don't expect it to be perfectly black unlessin a dark room unless you get an amazing sample) no noticeable coil whine etc its still solid.

Hm I would say more like moderate BLB and quiet coil whine, would be a good sample, I have seen 3 and they all had BLB and coil whine, some a bit better some a bit worse, obviously I would like an X34 with no coil whine or BLB, but I don't think that exists, still for 400 I would definitely get that, compared to the other options its a very good deal.

Associate
OP
Hm I would say more like moderate BLB and quiet coil whine, would be a good sample, I have seen 3 and they all had BLB and coil whine, some a bit better some a bit worse, obviously I would like an X34 with no coil whine or BLB, but I don't think that exists, still for 400 I would definitely get that, compared to the other options its a very good deal.

tbh I don't hear any coil whine at all but there is a lot of BLB.

My GTX 980TI only just manages to run most games in high settings, can't decide weather to go SLI with another 980TI or sell the 980 and buy a 1080.

Really want the SLI look though as theres too much free space in my case lol

Permabanned

So is coil whine expected with these? I got the Freesync version of the Acer Ultrawide secondhand for 400 with minimal BLB (In my opinion) and it's completely silent (75 hz 34" 3440x1440),
Is the coil whine related to manually overclocking the panel?
I ask as mine is a native 75hz and as far as I know there's no way to overclock it but even so I think I'd be happier with a silent 75 hz than a whiney 90-100 hz.
I'm looking at getting a 4k uw in 2020 maybe and depending on AMD's situation at that time I may go for a G-sync model.

Associate
OP
So is coil whine expected with these? I got the Freesync version of the Acer Ultrawide secondhand for 400 with minimal BLB (In my opinion) and it's completely silent (75 hz 34" 3440x1440),
I ask as mine is a native 75hz and as far as I know there's no way to overclock it but even so I think I'd be happier with a silent 75 hz than a whiney 90-100 hz.
I'm looking at getting a 4k uw in 2020 maybe and depending on AMD's situation at that time I may go for a G-sync model.

Mine doesn't coil whine at all and its clocked to a stable 95hz, I think I'll be keeping this for another 5 years or so until my card issues 1440p without any problems on Ultra settings.

Soldato

Yes well I have seen 3 and they all had coil whine, at 100hz it is noticeable, but when gaming not a problem, at 80hz it is not a problem for web browsing etc. Maybe others do not have whine or maybe they do not notice it, I have no idea, but I have seen 3 and they all had it. You can run it at 80-90hz on desktop and 100hz in games though, its not obvious at 80hz. Also 100hz is a lot better for online shooters etc. 75hz is not really enough, although not bad for single player games.

Permabanned
Yes well I have seen 3 and they all had coil whine, at 100hz it is noticeable, but when gaming not a problem, at 80hz it is not a problem for web browsing etc. Maybe others do not have whine or maybe they do not notice it, I have no idea, but I have seen 3 and they all had it. You can run it at 80-90hz on desktop and 100hz in games though, its not obvious at 80hz. Also 100hz is a lot better for online shooters etc. 75hz is not really enough, although not bad for single player games.

Good to know, I don't play multiplayer twitch games as I'm too old, too slow and probably well on my way to adding too much arthritis to the list as well :D Cheers.

Soldato

All varies IMO, Some samples I have had with whine, others without, other's with bleed others without etc.

I think its not uncommon to have a bit of whine I think, though there are some samples without it. Also depends how perceptive one may be. The whine however seems to get more pronounced as you overclock higher and higher on the samples I found that did have whine. Could be down to the fact these are native 60hz panels but being pushed to 100hz, but not too sure, either way its get slightly more pronounced as you increase the clock so 75-80hz may be fine and slowly increase from there.

Which make of LCD panel is used in the Acer display?

It is an LG panel. Its actually the same one used in the ASUS PG348Q, ACER X34 and X34A so not uncommon to see similar issues in them all really. Mostly a different wrapper. Same panel also appears in native 60hz panels like the Dell U3415W.

Permabanned
I think its not uncommon to have a bit of whine I think, though there are some samples without it. Also depends how perceptive one may be. The whine however seems to get more pronounced as you overclock higher and higher on the samples I found that did have whine. Could be down to the fact these are native 60hz panels but being pushed to 100hz, but not too sure, either way its get slightly more pronounced as you increase the clock so 75-80hz may be fine and slowly increase from there.

I didn't realize they had this issue, It'll be interesting to see whether it's so with 4k ultrawides, What I find interesting is that the 1600 uw monitors we already have went up to 38" compared to the 1440 uw's 34" but the 4k uw's that are coming this year are back down at 34". I'm hoping it's due to how mature the development of the 34" panels is & hopefully the 4k uw's will have higher refresh rates and good Freesync/Gsync support in comparison to the newer to market 38" panels which lacked wide working ranges. That's just a shot in the dark though.

Associate
Wish that 5k uw was g-sync :( though tbh, I would much rather see OLED become common in computer monitors, seriously considering going OLED tv instead...

Soldato
Wish that 5k uw was g-sync :( though tbh, I would much rather see OLED become common in computer monitors, seriously considering going OLED tv instead...

Would probably be pretty much wrecked in a few months if you used an LG OLED at 100 brightness as a PC monitor, you would almost definitely have a permanent start bar burned into the screen unfortunately! But yes I agree that OLED's look very good for games.

Caporegime
There is definitely no need for 100% oled light/brightness. Mine is on 35 (I'll probably drop it to 30 at some point), 45 would be what is suitable for most in bright rooms.

Iirc, the life for lg's 2017 oleds is rated at 100k hours.

Last edited:
Associate

^This.
Anyone saying their's doesn't have coil whine just don't have sensitive enough ears. It's not as loud as GPU whine but it's there.
The X34(a) has coil whine when overclocked to 90-100Hz and displaying a predominantly white background (chrome).

I've been through a few of them now and each one has it when under those circumstances.

I have mine clocked to 85Hz to stop the coil whine. It sucks that is the only solution but that's the price you pay for cutting edge and silence.

Hopefully the new 200Hz 1440p ultrawides will be able to do atleast 144Hz without coil whine.
I'll be changing my X34A for one of those unless a higher resolution ultrawide rears its head.

Back
Top Bottom