Buyer's remorse

Permabanned
or not!

Thought I would post up my next vehicle. This is my first new vehicle, so thought I would go for a bit of a treat.
I quite like the performance, and optimistic mpg figures, but most of all living in the middle of nowhere, the xDrive is essential for me (it also seems to provide more off-the-line-grip for the improved figures that BMW quote).

BMW 330D xDrive M Sport Saloon
Estoril Blue
Black leather interior
[Standard Specification - flappy-paddle sports auto, front/rear parking sensors, iDrive, USB, Bluetooth, M Sport upgrades]
Harmon Kardon Audio
Visibility Package
Service Package

This delivers quite an awesome package, in the low tax, diesel efficiency, xDrive and overtaking ability; not to mention, the Estoril Blue colour!

Can't wait to receive the vehicle in a few weeks where i'll post up some pictures.

It was a choice between the 330D and a pre-registered X5, however the 330D won on looks and money alone.

Soldato
What's going to be funny is people buying these xDrive BMWs getting very little advantage in bad conditions due to the fact they still have 255 wide max performance summer tyres, which is the original cause of the problem :p

Permabanned
OP
What's going to be funny is people buying these xDrive BMWs getting very little advantage in bad conditions due to the fact they still have 255 wide max performance summer tyres, which is the original cause of the problem :p

It is the age old conundrum - winter tyres vs. AWD vs. FWD. xDrive with Winters would win every time. For now however, xDrive certainly beats just RWD.

Problem with AWD/4WD cars in bad conditions is not getting them moving, its stopping them ;)

I live at the bottom of a hill and could drive straight up with a 300BHP/295LBFT impreza on 235 rubber. Virtually every other car on the estate couldn't get up the hill, the only ones that could manage were the well underpowered models on skinny tyres (read an old 1.3 fiesta and a 206 of some description), and the guy with an X3.

Coming back down 8 hours later was a lot of fun (not)

Interestingly the next day with some sand the majority of the petrol vehicles got up, the diesels struggled as they kept spinning up the wheels. We summised due to low down torque (me and a few neighbours).
Wierdly one of the guys went up backwards and that seemed to work, maybe due to loading the front wheels with weight.

Man of Honour
I never got stuck once in my RS4 is deep snow. That had fat tyres and non snow tyres and was absolutely no problem going, stopping and going again in snow.

Soldato
To be fair for the uk I can see a quasi 4wd system working quite well on the odd occasion we get snow. Even when it was particularly bad for a month or so a few years ago (glasgow mind, we actually get snow that lasts more than a day on occasion) I never really got stuck in the e36 - on the occasions where I had to either rock it or clear a little bit infront of the rear wheels even a tiny amount of grip/pull from the front would have helped a lot.

Winter tyres or even all season tyres would pretty much solve it too mind you for a couple of days of the year

Adz

Adz

Soldato
I never got stuck once in my RS4 is deep snow. That had fat tyres and non snow tyres and was absolutely no problem going, stopping and going again in snow.

My old C5 RS6 was incredible in the snow and ice. It wasn't phased by anything.

The C6 isn't quite as good but I would still say it's going to beat a RWD car with winter tyres for traction.

Next time it snows, let's have an OcUK winter driving competition. Sort the men from the boys.

Permabanned
OP
[TW]Fox;24832124 said:
Sure, if you want to spin 4 wheels instead of 2 :p

RWD with winters is better than XDrive.

xDrive appears to provide better traction all-year round, netting the car some impressive figures that can (on paper) strike fear into the 330i and higher!

[TW]Fox;24831816 said:
This thread about an awesome car is useless without pictures.

It is being built in the factory at the moment. I will get some pictures when I actually receive the car!

Man of Honour
xDrive appears to provide better traction all-year round, netting the car some impressive figures that can (on paper) strike fear into the 330i and higher!

Sadly the 330i is no more but I agree, the figures on paper for the 330d are very, very impressive.

Soldato
My experience is different, only way I can get up my street in the snow with the BMW is to reverse it. No chance whatsoever going up forwards, first time every time backwards.
I surmised that the problem was not the rear, but the front tyres building up a wedge of snow in front of them and not having enough traction to overcome it. Reversing, the front wheels follow the tracks of the rears which have flattened the snow already.

Caporegime
This.

BMW's on 255 or 265 summer tyres + compacted snow = you ain't going nowhere.

Got my old 330d up to the top of the Alps on summer tyres, or is that not real snow?

It's all about momentum. Had I needed to stop, I'd have needed to put the chains on to set off again, but keeping moving was key to not needing any kind of winter aid.

Back
Top Bottom