Buying a basic gaming PC

Associate
Right, I know very little about computers, but I want to get a pretty basic gaming PC, so I can run more games.

I don't really care about graphics or stuff like that, I'm happy playing on the lowest settings, but I just want the games to run smoothly and be playable.

I play a range of games, Overwatch, Elder Scrolls, Elite Dangerous, Total War, Fallout, whatever.

I don't know what I need or what is good, I have very little idea of these things.

I don't want to spend too much, like I said I only want it to be basic, and I have no idea how to build one, but I was just looking for something that would be able to run most games fine on low settings, I don't know how much that might cost, but let's say between £200 and £500, because I'd hesitate to spend more than that for sure.

Soldato
On low settings you don't need a graphics card so you should be able to get away with something like this:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £346.60 (includes shipping: £11.70)

A monitor will cost you about £100 or you could use your TV.

A graphics card and SSD will give you a considerable boost in performance and make gaming much more enjoyable.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £503.18 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

I'm sure more experienced speccers like @orbitalwalsh will be along shortly to refine that build

Soldato
To stay on budget the 2200G seems the best choice as he needs a monitor - it's what i was going to spec.

Not much to refine @Quartz, - perhaps add a small SSD for OS in first build and any half decent monitor ~£100.

Soldato
Soldato
Soldato
Is pre-built wanted or self-build?

Sounds like there is already an existing computer, and some components could be transferred, like a mechanical drive for example?

Soldato
Sounds like there is already an existing computer, and some components could be transferred, like a mechanical drive for example?
If he does he wasn't very comprehensive with his reply - but it does happen.

For his budget - youtube would be his financial and component quality friend.

Soldato
Soldato

@orbitalwalsh - OK, even you're going to struggle crowbaring a monitor into that build :D

Soldato
That Zalman case looks incredible value considering 4 fans - do you have any hands on experience with it?

Soldato
Probably need some RAM aswell

Soldato
If the filters are good/easy access, that's a cracking budget case - even the layout looks respectable, if a little on the flimsy side - but who cares at budget pricing.
Monitor ... Go around tip yard and wait for someone to put a monitor in the electronics shed :D
Christ, this speccing lark is going to get tricky, @orbitalwalsh aka Steptoe - but at least members will get to breath some 'actual' fresh air. :D
Probably need some RAM aswell
That will be taped to the monitor at the tip.

Back
Top Bottom