Buying a basic gaming PC

Associate
OP
Yeah, just to be clear, I don't have any other parts of a computer available to transfer. Just the mouse and keyboard. Pre-built would definitely be easier for me because I have no experience at all with building a PC, but I understand that it's cheaper to build your own.

Soldato
If the filters are good/easy access, that's a cracking budget case - even the layout looks respectable, if a little on the flimsy side - but who cares at budget pricing.

It's cheap enough but there's not much thought put into that design though. It's a case for an optical bay and they've just slapped 4 led fans in, leaving some remnants of the optical bay in which basically make the top front fan useless. The other two front fans are right behind grills, making them semi-useless too and just for led show. Not the first time Zalman does this - sticking front fans right behind grills. They obviously don't listen to feedback.

Personally I'd take a one fan case with better design, to end up with better airflow as I go adding fans. Or a Fractal Focus G for £7 extra. Different strokes and all that. Might not bother others as much.

Soldato
Cheers @Danny75 - nice summation - and the adding of fans when required is a valid point - although wonder how many first time builders would apply this once their build was up and running (i've lost count how many times i've added/upgraded a fan to someones case as they never bothered despite my concerns). I would like to have a hands on assessment of airflow but taking a closer look at pics i see your concerns - could that drive bay covering be removed, looking at pics?.

Trouble is, I haven't used an out and out 'budget' case in years. I'm a sucker and will supplement a family/friends build to get a better case - not through totally altruistic motives - more that i hate building in poorly designed cases made out of razor blades.

Soldato
Cheers @Danny75although wonder how many first time builders would apply this once their build was up and running (i've lost count how many times i've added/upgraded a fan to someones case as they never bothered despite my concerns).

Yes, valid perspective too.

I would like to have a hands on assessment of airflow but taking a closer look at pics i see your concerns - could that drive bay covering be removed, looking at pics?.

No idea. What bugs me is that they didn't even bother to change that part, they just slapped lipstick on a pig so to speak.

Soldato
Yeah, just to be clear, I don't have any other parts of a computer available to transfer. Just the mouse and keyboard. Pre-built would definitely be easier for me because I have no experience at all with building a PC, but I understand that it's cheaper to build your own.
Have a quick read of the manual that comes with the motherboard and you will be fine but if get stuck the folks on here will be happy to help you.

Associate
OP
Having looked at some videos and stuff I'm not sure I could build a PC myself, any suggestions for pre-built ones in my range or for stuff I should make sure a pre-built PC has in terms of spec?

Associate
OP
Lego is less costly if I mess it up, my hands have tremors from a medical condition, and although I might well be able to build a PC without any problem, it could also be a problem, and I could break something, which would be both annoying and expensive. So you know I'd still like advice on the question I asked.

Soldato
With 2200/2400G, you'll have to lower resolution to 720p in some games (Total War, Fallout 4 among the ones you mentioned) to stick to 60+ fps even on low settings.

Need to spend £600~ to get a system inc. monitor that'll run everything at 60fps at 1080p. The extra is worth it. You could be strict and say £500 tops including monitor but then find it doesn't cut the mustard at 1080p on low settings in all games.

OcUK stocks a couple of Ryzen processors that can only be used in prebuilts. I've inquired this morning about their price, for consideration in custom budget prebuilt systems, and have been informed that the 2300X is £89.99 and the 2500X is £119.99. With that in mind:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £458.89 (includes shipping: £0.00)

The monitor gives you free shipping. That's about £20 off (the usual full system + monitor shipping charge).

Need to request adding either the 2300X or 2500X, and then a build quote. For a budget system like that they probably won't charge much. Might be looking at £50 or even under if they feel generous.

Would recommend the 2500X as it has more legs in it with its multi-threading. Will handle a few games better right now and perform a bit better into the near future versus the 2300X.

There is no SSD. You may want to consider a 500GB SSD for £50 instead. Or keep slower 1TB HDD to fit more games without uninstalling some to fit new ones.

You'll get a free game bundle with the RX 570 that you can sell if you don't want to keep. They've been selling for around £40 recently.

Otherwise the Ryzen 2400G with integrated graphics that was specced earlier is your best bet for an OcUK prebuilt for £500 including monitor.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the help people, one last question, as I'm pretty computer illiterate, if I also want to use it for basic general computer use, you know, browsing the web, sending emails, etc, what else do I need to add?

Soldato
Thanks for the help people, one last question, as I'm pretty computer illiterate, if I also want to use it for basic general computer use, you know, browsing the web, sending emails, etc, what else do I need to add?
Chrome/Firefox and a gmail account. You have all the hardware listed above.

Soldato
No problem. Should add they're all free to use/download.

You can get free word/excel/etc type software too - some are quite impressive - if you can't afford or don't want to buy Office. But, a bit like the cheap Windows 10 keys you can purchase, you can also get very cheap Office keys too.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom