Buying a Sat Nav tomorrow...

Bes

Bes

Soldato
Hi

Looking to buy a sat nav system tomorrow. Is the Tom Tom One the one to get (It is according to what I have read!) and is £250 a good price?

Soldato
So many people have these now, is it because you like them as a 'toy' or you actually use them? If so how did you manage before they were about!?

Bes

Bes

Soldato
OP
Well seeing as I am an IT consultant and spend a lot of time travelling around the UK, I would say it is something I could actually do with, Got lost twice in Watford last week and am always having to pull over and refer to my trusty road atlas, so yeah I think it would be a great help :)

Man of Honour
lucasade1 said:
If so how did you manage before they were about!?

Got lost a lot;) Far easier banging in a postcode and being pointed to exactly where i want to go, than having to pull over and read a map, or keep ringing people getting directions. I certainly dont use mine as a toy. I find it essential travelling into london, as quite often roads are shut, and without it redirecting me i'd be driving round aimlessly for hours.

TomTom One is very easy to use, i used to have a pda with TT5 on, the all in one unit is much easier, and the gps receiver built into it is very good. Incidentally you can pick up the genuine TT One case for £20 now, instead of the crazy amount of £50 that some shops were charging.

Soldato
I bought the TomTom Go 500 the other day but forgot to check whether my P900 would work with the bluetooth phone features.....it doesn't! Oops!

I replaced wayfinder which ran on my mobile using a bluetooth gps receiver. This solution was "OK" but never go to the tom tom level of ease of use!

TomTom one looks nice, only consideration is the 2hr battery but if you use the car charger it's a non issue issue!

Bes

Bes

Soldato
OP
I would probably just leave it plugged into the lighter. Is it possible to hardwire it straight into the car's electrics? Is it a hard/ risky job? As I may look to do this long term?

Thanks

Man of Honour
The 2hr battery thing is rubbish, i think their being overly cautious. Mines been on for well over 3hrs and it wasnt flat by any means.

Associate
Very pleased with my TomTom one, no longer worry about getting lost which used to be a problem. :)

The one thing I don't like is having to constantly remove it and the sucker thing so no one nicks it, but you get that with anything.

Suspended
lucasade1 said:
So many people have these now, is it because you like them as a 'toy' or you actually use them? If so how did you manage before they were about!?
I only really use mine to find places I've not been before. I won't use it driving normally. It's very useful for finding houses/offices in towns you don't know.

I was driving home from the pub the other night, I'd had about six pints so it was all a bit hazy, and managed to get completely lost in deepest Hertfordshire. I kept going, thinking my sense of direction would take me home eventually. At about 1am I gave up, supressed my ego and turned the tomtom on, I was home within half an hour.

:(

Oh yes, the battery on my ONE lasts about 2.5 hours in daylight mode, a little longer in night colours. I remove it from the windscreen every time I stop, don't leave the suction cup on and rub the suction marks off the windscreen too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bes said:
Is it attached to the sucker permenantly or can you just leave it attached to your windscreen and take the screen off?

You can take it off and leave the sucker there. I wouldn't though; any undesirables see the sucker and they might think you're one of those people who leave the unit in the glove box and give it a try....

Soldato
Nozzer said:
I was driving home from the pub the other night, I'd had about six pints so it was all a bit hazy.
I stopped reading there, speaking as someone who's had a family member killed by a drink driver I suggest you find some common sense before you kill yourself or other innocent people.

+block list

Last edited:
Soldato
Bes said:
Well seeing as I am an IT consultant and spend a lot of time travelling around the UK, I would say it is something I could actually do with, Got lost twice in Watford last week and am always having to pull over and refer to my trusty road atlas, so yeah I think it would be a great help :)

Exactly the reason I got one, except I got a pda with built in receiver.

PDA is useful for me to make notes memos etc at meetings

Soldato
got a TomTom GO Classic my self, (same as the go 300 but less features)

i find it awesome :) use it everyday as i have to visit new places for work.

take note that TomTom is just an aid, you got to use ya common sense and read road signs aswell ;) cant 100% rely on tomtom as it doesnt know if you are a car or a truck so will take you on main roads where ever possible (even on shortest route option)

Back
Top Bottom