Buying a used bike

Associate
OP
how many miles?

I like the style of those bikes

It's done 11,600 and I paid £3200 but I've seen some seriously low mileage bikes over the last few weeks and didn't plan on purchasing one that had done over 10,000. Still it's prettier than the one I had originally planned on getting.
How tall are you? I had an ER6f and at 6'2" I was tall for it but it served me well. As for the exhaust, has it got a baffle in? If not and you don't have one it might be worth contacting the manufacturer and buy one.

Also when I traded it in it have covered well over 50k miles and still going strong.

I'm just 6ft but it feels smaller than the 2014 CBF650 I learned on and I kinda had my heart set on an adventure style bike like the CB500X but budget and insurance wouldn't allow for that and my god how expensive is the bloody insurance. I'm 34 and some quotes were between £2000 and £3000 quid.

As for the exhaust I think it has a baffle in but I'm no expert, I'll take a pic when I have access to a camera, but it's just crazy loud. I mean it literally makes me the center of attention and being a newbie rider that's kinda my worst nightmare.

Soldato
11.6k miles for a 6 year old bike? Less than 2k a year is low mileage especially for a workhorse like the er6.

You've got yourself a decent first bike. Look after it, save your money and in a few years trade it in for a bike you want.

Associate
OP
11.6k miles for a 6 year old bike? Less than 2k a year is low mileage especially for a workhorse like the er6.

You've got yourself a decent first bike. Look after it, save your money and in a few years trade it in for a bike you want.

Yeah it's not bad but I still have in mind that 2010 Yamaha XJ6 that I missed out on for £3300 with a mere 2000 miles :(

Still the Kawasaki is better looking imho
jX8mUXvl.jpg

Soldato
Fun is very subjective. If you like hooning around then a Street Triple is a great bike for that and everyone I've known who's had one and everyone I've been on a ride with who's been on one has had their fun. Personally I could have fun riding any bike as its riding that I enjoy and my Tiger is great fun to ride. I don't need to be the first one there as the quicker you get where you're going the less time you've spent riding.

Associate
Fun is very subjective. If you like hooning around then a Street Triple is a great bike for that and everyone I've known who's had one and everyone I've been on a ride with who's been on one has had their fun. Personally I could have fun riding any bike as its riding that I enjoy and my Tiger is great fun to ride. I don't need to be the first one there as the quicker you get where you're going the less time you've spent riding.

Totally agree. One man's cuppa is another's poison.

Most fun I had on any bike was a Suzuki GP100, it had no front brake, no clutch, no lights. It was my mates field bike, spent hours mucking about on that, yet it would deemed to be a boring 2 stroke commuter.

Soldato
Is that indoors? If outside that seems to be quite loud.

Basically on your exhaust the baffle would be blocking the discharge point of the exhaust and you'd definitely know it's there as if it isn't it'd just be a hole going all the way in. Also you'll have a bolt somewhere on the narrower discharge pipe at the end holding the baffle in.

Last edited:

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I got a Delkovic for my VFR when I had it & yours sounds like the baffle has been taken out. At the end of the can there should be a allen bolt that you can remove to take the baffle out, Is the allen bolt there ? If the baffle is missing you should be able to get one from Delkovic as they are good guys running a good service. With the baffle in it's quite reasonable at low revs & only gets throaty when you give it some, You can cruise round running real quiet & then you can Blap it when you want a car to hear you.

Delkovic owe me a big favour so if he comes back with an expensive quote for the baffle then let me know & I'll approach him for you & remind him he owes me. :D

Associate
OP
I'm pretty sure the baffle was in there from having a look at bikes with the baffle out but doesn't matter anymore because at some point in the last 24 hours someone stole my bike.

Oh and I have a £1,000 excess too so that's the end of biking for me.

Back
Top Bottom