Buying a used bike

Associate
OP
Gutted for you :(

Why would you take an excess of £1k though? I've seen though policies, never been tempted.

Didn't have any real choice. Only 2 insurers offered fully comprehensive policies under £1,000 and both had very high excesses (£800+).
In the end I stuck with my insurer and went for TPFT which only cost me an additional £260 or thereabouts but the excess is £1k so I'm probably done with biking for a long while cause not only can't I now afford a bike I almost certainly won't be able to afford the insurance and now I know I can't leave it outside my house.

Apparently I can't have nice things. In less than a year I've lost a car I loved and my first bike. I give up.:(

ohh god!!!

where they steal it from? I feel for you

did you chain it up?

It was just outside my house on the road right next to my scooter which they surprisingly left. No chain, my fault as I wanted to wait til payday to get an Abus Thatcham approved one, not that I really have anything to chain it to except for my scooter which is getting sold.

Last edited:
Associate
Apparently I can't have nice things. In less than a year I've lost a car I loved and my first bike. I give up.:(
Where in London do you live? Being about to move to London this worries me!

That said...
It was just outside my house on the road right next to my scooter which they surprisingly left. No chain, my fault as I wanted to wait til payday to get an Abus Thatcham approved one, not that I really have anything to chain it to except for my scooter which is getting sold.
...nothing like making it easy. Was it under a cover and did it have a disc lock or anything?

Associate
OP
Where in London do you live? Being about to move to London this worries me!

That said...
...nothing like making it easy. Was it under a cover and did it have a disc lock or anything?

I'm in SE London/NW Kent Border and yeah I did make it easy for them although it's usually not there overnight as I work nights and it would have had some Thatcham approved security just after payday but it's my fault for thinking I could get away with that for any length of time.

Edit: oh an car wasn't stolen just written off by a rear hit.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I wouldn't let it put me off,just try and sort it out with your insurance and me personally I'd try again, but this time I'd cement me a ground anchor in ,get a decent almax lock n chain and even rig up a CCTV camera

Associate
OP
I'd like to say I'm not put off but I am bit. More importantly though is the position it's put me in. Best case scenario is that they agree with the bikes valuation and pay me £3200 minus the £1000 excess, so £2200. I'm not even sure what kinda bike I'd get for that money and how much will insurance be now.
Plus I still have to store it on the road. If I want to store it in my front garden with an insurance approved ground anchor and chain I'll have to pay for the wall to come down and the whole thing paved and at the moment I'm kinda broke.

Honestly though more than anything it's made me want to move as far away from here as possible and get a driveway if not a garage.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I'd like to say I'm not put off but I am bit. More importantly though is the position it's put me in. Best case scenario is that they agree with the bikes valuation and pay me £3200 minus the £1000 excess, so £2200. I'm not even sure what kinda bike I'd get for that money and how much will insurance be now.
Plus I still have to store it on the road. If I want to store it in my front garden with an insurance approved ground anchor and chain I'll have to pay for the wall to come down and the whole thing paved and at the moment I'm kinda broke.

Honestly though more than anything it's made me want to move as far away from here as possible and get a driveway if not a garage.

It's disgusting how people can steal someone's property which they worked for... :mad: They should cut those thieves hands off ensuring that they wouldn't steal again!

Associate
OP
It does sound a bad area,I thought I lived in a rough place,Birmingham area

Problem is I never thought it was that bad. My neighbour's bike has been parked out front for years although he had the sense to put a chain on the back wheel still it's not connected to anything and my brand new scooter has sat there since November. I knew it could happen I just expected it to happen anywhere but home. Even though it's unlikely I'll have a bike for a while if I get the insurance money without much hassle I'll invest in a Thatcham approved disc-lock with alarm and a big ol' chain plus I'm seriously looking into moving now.

Associate
That's pretty appalling that it takes 40 days...
Start reading through your terms of insurance to see how much flexibility you have regarding any offer they make you.

Associate
OP
Well they offered me £2800 which isn't bad considering that I almost bought another ER6F for that exact amount although minus £1050 excess and that leaves me with £1750, although I've been informed that I took out excess insurance so I might be getting the entire amount. Still this means I really can't afford to lose another bike as the excess insurance is a one time thing.

Back
Top Bottom