Buzzing sound from GPU

Associate
No it's not. And you can get whine with any PSU, no matter it's wattage or quality.

It could be the problem, the CX units are not particularly high quality. Going from an entry level Antec to a higher end Corsair unit eliminated the coil whine issue with my old R9 390X.

Soldato
It could be the problem, the CX units are not particularly high quality. Going from an entry level Antec to a higher end Corsair unit eliminated the coil whine issue with my old R9 390X.

Could, yes. Likely? Never know. You could have whine with a Platinum, go to a Bronze, and it could go away. So when telling someone to fork out on a new PSU, it's better to qualify that it may achieve nothing.

The older CX (green label) weren't very good. The newer grey label ones (since around 5 years ago) aren't bad, and OP has only had it a week. Presumably it's one of the newer ones.

Associate
OP
Could, yes. Likely? Never know. You could have whine with a Platinum, go to a Bronze, and it could go away. So when telling someone to fork out on a new PSU, it's better to qualify that it may achieve nothing.

The older CX (green label) weren't very good. The newer grey label ones (since around 5 years ago) aren't bad, and OP has only had it a week. presumably it's one of the newer ones.
Do you think I should buy a new PSU, a different brand or maybe higher wattage?

Soldato
Do you think I should buy a new PSU, a different brand or maybe higher wattage?

I think you can consider it but know that it might not do the trick. A 550W or 650W would be more than fine. With 650W you get the advantage of two separate PCIe cables. Most 550W don't have two separate.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seas...w-80-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-06y-ss.html

You can also consider returning the card. Returns for excessive coil whine are accepted. You'd need to record the sound and upload it somewhere. However as the issue only pops up in one game right now? That makes it a tough one. Returns are usually for cards with bad whine practically all the time.

Associate
OP
I think you can consider it but know that it might not do the trick. A 550W or 650W would be more than fine. With 650W you get the advantage of two separate PCIe cables. Most 550W don't have two separate.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seas...w-80-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-06y-ss.html

You can also consider returning the card. Returns for excessive coil whine are accepted. You'd need to record the sound and upload it somewhere. However as the issue only pops up in one game right now? That makes it a tough one. Returns are usually for cards with bad whine practically all the time.
I can't afford it right now, do you think I can continue with a 550w?

Soldato
I can't afford it right now, do you think I can continue with a 550w?

Yes. Do what I suggested - look up reviews for 9700K and 2070 Super power draw.

Also, experiment with lowering the power limit slider on the GPU (with Afterburner for example). Just to see if that changes anything. Or lower fps as was already suggested.

Lowering power draw will reduce performance, however if it turns out to have helped, then you can undervolt the GPU so it doesn't require as much power, and often still achieve the same performance (sometimes a bit more, even) as at stock.

Associate
2070 Super draws around 220W, 9700K around 130W, so total ~350W, leaving 200W for everything else. 550W is just about enough, but it will mean you're pushing that PSU near its limits which may also be causing the whine. But as Danny says, this isn't necessarily what is causing it in your case.

If you're OCing then your numbers may vary, of course.

Last edited:
Associate
OP

I can confirm I have just bought the 650W Seasonic Core Gold GM-650 80PLUS Gold. Much better than the Bronze PSU I have currently.

Soldato
I can't afford it right now

I can confirm I have just bought the 650W Seasonic Core Gold GM-650 80PLUS Gold. Much better than the Bronze PSU I have currently.

That was a quick bank heist. Remarkable efficiency.

Best of luck that it solves it.

P.S. There's no actual need to use two separate PCIe cables with 2070 Super but it's "better" if you do. Can see a very slight performance increase and sometimes a very slight temperature decrease as well.

Associate
OP
That was a quick bank heist. Remarkable efficiency.

Best of luck that it solves it.

P.S. There's no actual need to use two separate PCIe cables with 2070 Super but it's "better" if you do. Can see a very slight performance increase and sometimes a very slight temperature decrease as well.
Thanks for all your help!

Soldato
Have you tried capping your FPS?
I get whine on menu screens when the FPS goes above 200.

I game at 1080p on a 60hz screen so I tend to force max FPS to 60 and that solved it.

If your gaming at higher spec, try capping FPS at 120fps?

Back
Top Bottom