Byrons burgers stiff their own employees

Soldato
They only had them because they employed them in the first place... If they had done the proper checks Immigration wouldn't have had to do this operation in the first place.:p

I thought that they had carried out the correct checks, but the documentation provided turned out to be fake? The whole thing was rather a non-story to be honest, slow news day!

Caporegime
I don't see what they have done wrong.

They got duped by a load of illegals and got rid of them.

this really...

they've complied with the authorities when faced with a massive fine after being alerted that they were acting illegally as a result of deception by the illegal employees

this sort of thing ought to happen more regularly

Soldato
So instead of pay the £700k fine they emailed their staff saying that they were going to release a new patty and the staff had to attend to learn about it. When they got there, the place was raided by the rozzers and 35 people were arrested, 25 of which have already been deported.

[/url]
You've literally made this up haven't you?

Byrons hired staff in good faith, they conducted all their checks such as checking documents that they are obliged to as an employer.

Later the authorities have identified that some of the employees have presented false documentation and are working illegally, the authorities have asked byron to help stop these people from working illegally.

It's like a chain of Byrons having a regular customer walking in that's wanted by the police, the police ask Byrons to give the police a bell and stall him when he's next in. They do just that, cooperate with the authorities. Nothing wrong at all.

Permabanned
They were more than happy to have cheap labour in the form of illegal staff but as soon as the proverbial hit the fan, they dropped all staff in the doodoo.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...n-asks-protesters-to-respect-customers-safety

The illegal immigrants were more than happy to work illegally in jobs that they would be perfectly aware could blow up in their faces. The people who are in this mess are probably in desperate circumstances and are being exploited, however, they could chose a different path and not work illegally.

I totally understand that people want a better life and why not - they become victims of the system they are trying to integrate into rather than follow the lawful way to reside and work in the U.K

Last edited:
Associate
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36994955

Based on this article the company had conducted the appropriate checks on all employees so will not face any legal action itself.

The article itself though hits a nerve with me. The worker openly admits he thought he'd 'try his luck' using false documents so that he could work illegally in this country. Then he goes all BOO HOO when he gets caught saying he feels 'used' by the company. What a complete ****. As for people using #Grass with reference to Byron, do we now as a country want immigrants working here illegally? This little extract from the article winds me up most

"I felt very bad, because we didn't expect it. I could be caught at any moment - in the street, or in one of the operations by the immigration office. But the way it was done was what bothered us, what made us sad."

Mate you're working illegally?!?! what really bothers you is that you got caught. Well you tried to play the system and you lost so suck it up buttercup, deal with it and enjoy your flight home. Sad thing is there will be people who actually think they shouldn't have been caught in such a manner.....

/rant

Soldato
Can't see what all the fuss is about...
Company made aware it has illegals working for it
Company co-operates with law enforcement
Illegals caught and deported

Problem?

If you don't like the law then lobby to have it changed, don't attack a business for operating within the law.

Quite frankly I do not want illegal immigrants here, they drive down wages and are unchecked and therefore a potential danger to national security which, at this minute in time, is already under threat.

Soldato
Playing devils advocate here....

One of the biggest gripes people have is that immigrant come here and purge the benefits system. These folk are quite clearly here to work.

Would it be so bad to vet them, give them a visa and let them get back to flipping burgers?

Associate
Playing devils advocate here....

One of the biggest gripes people have is that immigrant come here and purge the benefits system. These folk are quite clearly here to work.

Would it be so bad to vet them, give them a visa and let them get back to flipping burgers?

No, if they have entered on the premise of holiday only statistically that is what they are doing and the whoever thinks that they will be returning to their home country after X amount of weeks. You apply for a work visa prior to heading to the country you wish to work in, all required checks are carried out and then if all OK you can come here to work and you're down on whichever register as being a worker here and putting into the system.

Harsh but that's the way the system works so numbers can be controlled. If you try and work around that system and get caught tough titties enjoy your flight home as you knew the risks and what you were doing.

Caporegime
OP
No, if they have entered on the premise of holiday only statistically that is what they are doing and the whoever thinks that they will be returning to their home country after X amount of weeks. You apply for a work visa prior to heading to the country you wish to work in, all required checks are carried out and then if all OK you can come here to work and you're down on whichever register as being a worker here and putting into the system.

Harsh but that's the way the system works so numbers can be controlled. If you try and work around that system and get caught tough titties enjoy your flight home as you knew the risks and what you were doing.

This is very true. When my wife managed a branch of GBK (almost a decade ago now, christ I'm getting old :() she had one guy who overstayed his welcome so left, then came back two weeks later saying he was all passported up and good to go, except that the passport was in a completely different name and suddenly he was 5 years younger. When she ran the name through GBK's payroll thingy she found that the passport belonged to a kitchen porter in a different branch. This guy had paid the KP to use his passport to try and stay in the country because they looked similar.

You'd be amazed at the tricks people have to try and con the system. I agree that if Byron's did actually go through the proper checks and weren't aware that these guys were deceiving them then they were right to dob them in. However, when I hear that one company has 35 illegal employees in one area of their business my spidey senses start tingling.

I strongly suspect that there was a fairly prominent blind eye culture there.

Back
Top Bottom