CAA Drone Registration costs money!

Soldato
So the proposed CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) drone registration scheme which comes into force from November, which includes people who fly or own RC planes and helicopters, will have to pay an annual fee of £16.50 in order to fly any UAV with a weight of 250g to 20kg.

Which basically means every single good camera drone (DJI Spark and up, Autel EVO, Parrot Anafi etc), it will also include RC planes and Helicopters that fit in the same weight categories.

Failure to do so will result in a fine up to £1000.

As a quadcopter builder and flyer myself, I am glad the majority of the models I build are below 250g even though they are constructed with carbon fibre and titanium and capable of speeds in excess of 100mph.

Link to CAA document
https://consultations.caa.co.uk/fin...oneregistrationchargeconsultationdocument.pdf

Link to Feedback on the above
https://consultations.caa.co.uk/finance/drone-registration/consultation/intro/

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
When you consider the costs compared to other hobbies its high.

Its cheaper to hold a shotgun license (£9 year), and even more so to have a driving license (£1.40 year). The entire reason for the scheme is the criminal aspect of UAV craft, with contraband being bought into prisons etc, those people are not going to be lining up to register the craft.

Soldato
When you consider the costs compared to other hobbies its high.

Its cheaper to hold a shotgun license (£9 year), and even more so to have a driving license (£1.40 year). The entire reason for the scheme is the criminal aspect of UAV craft, with contraband being bought into prisons etc, those people are not going to be lining up to register the craft.
Its less than a fishing license. or 1 round of golf.

Soldato
Doesn't seem unreasonable given the disruption drones can cause (I own a dji drone).

Enforcing the law is quite another thing however.

And comparing to things like shotgun licences is probably quite misleading as it appears the figures you quote rely on taking the long term cost of a shotgun license and subsequent renewals rather than looking at up from costs, which are relatively much higher.

There's likely to be far more 'churn' with things like drone licences than firearms licences

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Don't see what difference it's going to make if there is no one to police it.

Caporegime
The entire reason for the scheme is the criminal aspect of UAV craft, with contraband being bought into prisons etc, those people are not going to be lining up to register the craft.

Shhhh, don't tell the government they think this will be effective because they aren't used to thinking logically. This is coming from people who think ruling out walking away when conducting negotiations is a good idea and a brainwashed 16 year old is an authority on climate science.

In the end they're just punishing 99.9% of law abiding people because of a minority of criminals who don't give a flying **** about the law anyway.

Soldato
A small number of morons have ruined it for the vast majority of responsible hobbyists, and imo this will do nothing to discourage prisoners and their friends moving contraband, and the tools flying them above airports.

Money making scheme? Data collection? An honest attempt at combating a problem? Who knows anymore.

But the cost is very small. I’ve seen the purchase price of those things, and it’s jot going to affect people buying £25 drones off Amazon, the weight catagory makes sense to me. That being said, I expect it to creep up over the years.

Soldato
OP
While the cost isn't prohibitive, the other restrictions certainly are. Minimum age changed from 14 to 18.

That is a huge issue, you'll be legally allowed to drive a car before you can fly an RC aircraft (yes all RC aircraft, planes, helicopters and drones)

Wonder how many aircraft engineers today started building model RC aircraft when they were kids. Probably quite a few.

Man of Honour
It's not a lot of money. But this is going to make zero difference. It's just a knee jerk reaction because the government think they must 'do something'.

Soldato
I personally dont think there shouldnt be a a fee. The world is going crazy. You pay enough to buy and maintain them and i personally shove this charge in the same spot as having to own a TV license.

Back
Top Bottom