Cable braiding question

Associate
Hi guys,

I finally got a load of 3mm cable braid in black and red and am going to attempt to single braid my psu 2nite.

I was going to braid one of the spare cables that came with the psu just to see how it went first but it has some sort of plastic cylinder on it that looks hard to remove, here is a pic:

wtfisthat.jpg

Anyone got some ideas as to how to remove this?

Also, I got 3mm mod/smart braid with 3mm 3:1 heatshrink, and it seems to be a little hard to get the heatshrink over the braid. Did I get the wrong size of heatshrink or is this ok?

Cheers guys!

Soldato
I didn't know what they were but someone asked in the tutorial thread and this was the response

its a ferrite block, cut off the plastic and sleeve then hit it with a hammer to break it off. You don't really need it.

(Warranty invalidated at your own risk, I am not an expert etc)

I don't know if that is what it is though, so all at your own risk if you want to break it off.

Regarding the heat shrink though, I would have thought that slightly bigger would have been better however you need one that shrinks small enough. Depends what other sizes they sell whether you could get some slightly bigger.

Last edited:
Soldato
You have three options:
MDPC - German based company - have to order from Nils personally, and opening hours at the moment are quite restricted, however in my opinion this is absolutely the best stuff.
Pulsemodding - Can get this from some UK sellers. It's relatively good quality, still pretty high end dense-weave, but I'd say the MDPC is slightly better.
550 Paracord - This is a more recent path by modders. It's quite a bit cheaper, but you need to take the inner parachute cord out, and use the sleeving on the paracord on your cables :)

kd

Soldato
That's the stuff, 7 strand core, just over 3mm OD when pulled tight.
This is my test cable when trying out different options.
I used 5mm OD silver split rings (£1 for 100) as I don't like heatshrink
It's a bitfenix braided entension cable underneath and standard braid for comparison

braid1.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Paracord really does look so much better. I just ordered 30m black and 30m red from that ebay shop for 14 quid lol!

It says the paracord is 3.2mm, is that ok?

Also where do you get the silver rings from?

Cheers!

Soldato
the bay again - you'll need a pair of long nose pliers to crimp them.
100 x 5mm Silver Plated Split Rings Jewellery Craft Beading

60m will not do a psu (unless it's modular and your only using a few cables)
and it takes most people three evenings

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm only looking to braid 24pin, 8pin and 2 pci-e 6pin cables though.

My psu is a corsair hx750 watt so I'm just doing the cables that aren't modular (which means opening up my psu).

Soldato
It'll probably take you anything between 1-2 evenings to get the hang of it, but once you do, you can do like a 24 pin whilst watching a film or something?

That split ring idea is ingenious though. I'll be stealing that.

kd

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Not sure about the split ring, while its a good idea, it is visible which I don't really like.

I'm going to try the heatshrinkless method and just melt the end of the cord onto the pin.

Soldato
Yeah, oddly it's a combination of gentle and force. Be gentle with the tool. Be forceful with the wire... I know they don't say that, but I've never had a wire break on me yet. If you correctly use the tool you shouldn't have a problem. I've had my ATX pin tool fly half way across the room with the force it's taken to get the wire out. Never broken so far :)

kd

Back
Top Bottom