Caffeine Detox Time

Man of Honour
3 weeks off caffeine for me now.

Energy levels feel similar, falling asleep slightly improved (possible placebo).

Biggest change for me is my anxiety has been dramatically reduced. I journal in a mental health book every now and then, one which comes preloaded with a tonne of emotion/feeling options you can tick off with how you’re feeling (think, tick all that apply, kind of thing, with about thirty options), and then and I realised that what I have been recently ticking off are massively different to what I was ticking off when on caffeine.

There may be no relation, but I’m happy to forego my daily coffee/energy drink for longer now since it’s such a massive change to my overall mood.

Honestly if there’s anyone here who struggles with anxiety and or depression, or low mood of a similar kind, and you’re knocking back a few coffees every day, I’d recommend reducing and or completely removing it and seeing how you feel.

No coffee/caffeine is tasty/pleasant enough to put up with undue anxiety.

Yes if you're suffering from something then trying something that causes you issues is definitely worthwhile.

However it's important to note that caffeine and anxiety aren't necessarily linked but caffeine can amplify the symptoms of anxiety but in itself doesn't give you anxiety.

That said you're suffering that badly from mental health issues you need to explore the support first and foremost to help you recover from the mental health ailments as well. I do agree if in the short term caffeine removal helps then 100% it's worth the sacrifice.

Hope you're on your path to recovery! :)

Soldato
3 weeks off caffeine for me now.

Energy levels feel similar, falling asleep slightly improved (possible placebo).

Biggest change for me is my anxiety has been dramatically reduced. I journal in a mental health book every now and then, one which comes preloaded with a tonne of emotion/feeling options you can tick off with how you’re feeling (think, tick all that apply, kind of thing, with about thirty options), and then and I realised that what I have been recently ticking off are massively different to what I was ticking off when on caffeine.

There may be no relation, but I’m happy to forego my daily coffee/energy drink for longer now since it’s such a massive change to my overall mood.

Honestly if there’s anyone here who struggles with anxiety and or depression, or low mood of a similar kind, and you’re knocking back a few coffees every day, I’d recommend reducing and or completely removing it and seeing how you feel.

No coffee/caffeine is tasty/pleasant enough to put up with undue anxiety.

Agree, i only tend to drink coffee on fridays(usually more chilled at work) or days i know there will be minimum stress. I drink tea instead now.

Soldato
Went caffeine free about 18 months ago for some ADHD medication. Stopped that medication in October, started having the odd drink. A couple of weekends I had several as I was doing 16 hour days of DIY/renovation work. At present though, sticking to one max per day and only doing that once or twice a week.

Going pretty well, not sure if the caffeine has an effect but don't fancy rocking the boat :)

Soldato
How are people doing with their caffeine habits? Anyone still caffeine free?
I've recently dropped it in an effort to alleviate my current problems with sleep. Not 100% sure it's worked but I'm sleeping better at the moment but I'm not convinced it's what's kept me out of work for 2.5 years either.

Going to stick with it till the end of July and re-assess then.

Reactions: LiE
Associate
I once did a Fry from futurama at work. I must have drank well over 15 cups. Only thing is time didn't slow down, instead I developed a headache and I never get headaches. Now I try to stay under 10 cups a day.

Associate
I've tried going without for the odd day or two when I had trouble sleeping. I always go back to drinking coffee again though as I just like the taste. I stick to one or two cups in the morning.

Soldato
I’ve been having moderate levels again. Went decaf for a few months but tiredness makes it hard. Probably having three to four cups of tea a day at present. Better than the dozen or more a day but still would like to not have any regular caffeine.

Will try again to cut it out.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've recently dropped it in an effort to alleviate my current problems with sleep. Not 100% sure it's worked but I'm sleeping better at the moment but I'm not convinced it's what's kept me out of work for 2.5 years either.

Going to stick with it till the end of July and re-assess then.
how much of it were you drinking?

I have one coffee a day since getting a nespresso, some of the capsules give me a proper buzz for a few hours though which isn't good. Need to find a weaker one.

Soldato
how much of it were you drinking?
Whatever is in a bottle of Coke Zero so a decent amount but not going totally overboard.

I've been getting random bouts of debilitating fatigue that can appear out of knowhere and takes me out of action anywhere from days to a full week. It's really odd and unsurprisingly frustrating.

Soldato
I have one strong coffee every morning, then drink loads of instant crap through the day, which is a complete habit as I've realised I don't even like the taste!
Trying really hard now to cut it right down.

Associate
I’m up 1 cup of coffee, but that’s because I’ve started running - knocks me out. In total that’s 2 cups a day and maybe a black tea.

Soldato
Caffeine free most days, decaf tea all day and night. Once in a while (once a month maybe) I'm either knackered or, more likely, doing a long day of DIY so will have a proper tea or two. Will also have caffeine if I'm out and about and no decaf available but again, once ever few weeks. Haven't had many coffees at all lately, decaf or not.

****ing boring and sad TBH :(

Last edited:
Caporegime
If I drink any amount of coffee - even a single cup - I lie awake at night itching from head to toe.

99% sure it's the coffee as I've tried eliminating everything else, previously.

I wonder if anyone else here has had similar?

Associate
Went caffeine free about 18 months ago for some ADHD medication. Stopped that medication in October, started having the odd drink. A couple of weekends I had several as I was doing 16 hour days of DIY/renovation work. At present though, sticking to one max per day and only doing that once or twice a week.

Going pretty well, not sure if the caffeine has an effect but don't fancy rocking the boat :)

May I ask, why did you stop the ADHD meds last October? I assume you have ADHD, i do too.

Associate
I used to consume a lot of caffeine in tea and especially coffee, nowadays i don't drink coffee, i drink plenty of tea though, a mixture of decaf and caffeinated. i get edgy/wired if i drink lots of caffeinated tea so limit it.

Back
Top Bottom