Caffeine Detox Time

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
It's that time of year again to come off the hard stuff. I've done in a few times in the past and really enjoyed how I felt caffeine free. I'm hoping I can stay strong this time and not slip back into old habits.

Anyone else cut out caffeine recently?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I didn't know caffeine detox was a thing? (sorry!). I thought for most it was booze people were trying to cut.

How much coffee does someone have to drink to need a detox from it?

I'm not sure there is an exact amount. I'm quite sensitivity to caffeine so even 1 strong coffee is enough to make me feel energised, tense, slightly anxious, affect mood, etc, etc.

Caffeine is addictive and you build a tolerance. So even a detox for the purposes of feeling the full effects of caffeine again is a good idea.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Day 1 Update
So today is day 1 of caffeine detox. I woke up and had a decaf tea, because I need a nice hot drink to start the day. I would usually have a strong coffee at 10am before going to the gym at 11am, so I skipped that. Workout was going well until about 30 mins in and a headache hit. I powered on and it disappeared, and I feel fine now. Likely the endorphins and dopamine have from the workout are filling the void in the short term.

Last time I did this detox I noticed that I had trouble sleeping for the first couple nights. After that I actually started having dreams which I hadn't had in years - I assume because I was actually getting a deeper more restful sleep. The other benefit was mornings weren't terrible anymore. No more caffeine hangover, where the only cure is a big cup of the black stuff.

Without caffeine mood is more stable, but lets see.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Completely. I've considered giving it up and trying to replace it with coke but kept getting nosebleeds.

Badoom tish.

It’s interesting that coca cola decided to replace cocaine in their drinks with caffeine. Maybe they have similar addictive properties

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Day 2
Yesterday was a little tough, low energy and mood was "flat". I finished work at 5 and sat down on the sofa and nodded off for 15 minutes. I was wide awake when it came to getting into bed at 11pm and felt a little tense. Woke up pretty groggy this morning.

This morning I feel like I'm coming down with a cold, I may well be, but it's hard to know. The temptation to drink a coffee is real, I can feel the craving big time this morning.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Yea I've found delaying the first coffee until a few hours after waking is optimal. You feel so much better. First thing in the morning having a coffee I can feel worse!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Not at all. The UK version has 42mg in a 330ml can, that's hardly lots.

As for caffeine detox, pls go @LiE. I have two coffees a day at most, so don't feel the need. I guess if I was necking 4-5 cups a day then yeah, probably worth cutting back

My 1 coffee is worth 3 of your **** coffees. Hipster coffee is more caffeinated, that’s a known fact.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I could only dream of getting this reaction. Pretty sure tea/coffee actually makes me feel sleepy. I drink it because I enjoy it more than its caffeine properties.

Some days I consume no caffeine and pretty sure I don't notice a difference. Others I can have a 2-3 cup cafetiere worth of coffee before work and cups of tea/coffee almost hourly :o

RIP hormones RIP glands.

Adrenal gland pls respond.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Haha! Cafe Nero has the best coffee out of the three big ones anyway...

Fresh ground hipster coffee crew checking in

Nero is good.

That wasn't just caffeine in that stuff though was it haha

Yes it had an amphetamine like substance in it called DMAA. It was later banned, but @Syla5 had an old expired tub that @Steedie decided to have a serving from... RIP

Not responding. Have detoxed for short amount of times before and felt no more effect from coffee afterwards. Energy drinks/pre-workouts do give me some kind of a boost but maybe that's the combo of other chemicals with the caffeine?

Sorry sounds like your a broken. I would try a reinstall.

Christ, I was in a dark place that day we had the gone off Jack3d at the meet. Who’s was it? @Syla5?

Yes, I bet he still has the tub.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Out of all the dire chains Nero is the worst. Totally over-strong burnt taste, reminds me of desperate times whenever being at someone's house where instant is the only option; and trying to make up for it with 3 teaspoons. Yuck. Avoid at all cost.

Of course it depends on the barista.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
This morning the struggle is real. I’m very tired again even after sleeping 11-8.30. I suspect my body isn’t used to pumping cortisol naturally first thing without caffiene. Off to London today so the coffee temptation will be strong.

I’ve been reading this morning that the optimal time for caffiene is after 10am. That way it doesn’t interfere with your body’s natural ability to wake up with cortisol.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
This morning the struggle is real. I’m very tired again even after sleeping 11-8.30. I suspect my body isn’t used to pumping cortisol naturally first thing without caffiene. Off to London today so the coffee temptation will be strong.

I’ve been reading this morning that the optimal time for caffiene is after 10am. That way it doesn’t interfere with your body’s natural ability to wake up with cortisol.

Managed to fight the temptation for a cup of coffee, even while going into a coffee shop with my brother while he gets his fix.

Energy levels were really good in the afternoon. When I go into bed at 11.30PM I didn't feel sleepy at all, it's as though my body has things back to front right now.

This morning however I do feel pretty rested and no groggy feelings. Trying to wake up now when my body wakes me up rather than set a specific alarm. Usually means I'm awake just before 8am.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
There is hope, this morning I've felt what I guess is how normal non-caffeine drinkers feel. Rested, alert, no tiredness at all. Woke up again before my alarm at 7.30AM. Mood is good and I'm about to leave for the gym so things should only get better.

Back
Top Bottom