Call of Duty: Black Ops

Soldato
Ooh will check out the new trailer tonight but I'm actually excited for this. The single player of World at War was really enjoyable and the trailers so far for this look excellent.

Soldato
Oh I hope it's not a completely OTT plot like MW2, that spoiled the SP for me. That trailer does make it look pretty awesome though. I just hope there's some sort of updated zombie mode :)

Soldato
"a lie is a lie, just because they write it down in history doesn't make it the truth"

Awful, awful script in that trailer, a really poor version of the speeches from McTavish in MW2. Compare that to:

This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost. Shepherd will be a hero. 'Cause all you need to change the world is one good lie and a river of blood. He's about to complete the greatest trick a liar ever played on history. His truth will be the truth. But only if he lives, and we die.

Gameplay looks fun though.

Soldato
LOL are you seriously comparing/criticising the script of an Advert! :eek:

Why is that so hilarious? If they can't get a decent script together for a 30 second trailer which is meant to show this game in it's absolute best light, there isn't much hope for the script in the full game.

Associate
OP
because the Script has never been on my criteria for buying a game, and the thought of anyone else thinking about it is hilarious to me.

I've never taken any notice of the script in a game, I enjoyed Modern Warfare, World at War and Modern Warfare 2 as much as each other and expect Black Ops to be awesome too.

Associate
Singleplayer

• Vietnam is just a small part of the story. The games story is set across a large period of time.
  • Some of the singleplayer maps are based on multiplayer maps, which is usually the other way around.
  • In some missions you have the option to move in stealthily or go in guns blazing.
  • The enemy AI is smarter. They will now try to dodge if you aim at them.

Multiplayer

• Multiplayer has been in development from day one.
  • Lean is back!
  • Vehicles will be returning.
  • Create-A-Class 2.0 includes deep customization and new features.
  • The game will include a "barebones" game mode.
    1. As the name implies, there won't be any perks or killstreaks, just old school gameplay.
  • Many familiar weapons will be making a return, including the AK-47.
  • The region filter is back.
  • Improved matchmaking and server browser.
  • Modern Warfare 2's host migration will be included.
  • Auto-Aim can be turned on/off.
  • PC gamers will be able to enjoy the comfort and luxury of dedicated servers.
  • The PC version will have an anti-cheat software, but it's unknown if it's Punkbuster.
  • There will be support for the competitive community, which will include great tools.
  • The team focusing on the multiplayer aspect of the game is twice the size (World at War).

Co-op Mode

• There will be 2-4 player co-op.
  • Supports 2 player offline split-screen.
  • It won't be based on the singleplayer campaign.
  • Zombies might be making a return from World at War.

Miscellaneous

• The game engine is a heavily modified version of the IW engine which was used in World at War.
  • The game runs at 60 FPS!
  • Physics destruction is going to be limited, so no Battlefield Bad Company 2 style "blow holes in the walls" gameplay.
  • The PC version will look better than the console versions (duh).
  • There are over 200 people working on Black Ops!

SOURCE: http://www.cod7blackops.com/

Soldato
I'm looking forward to it BUT I'm currently playing through World at War as I never really played it that much when it was released and personally I feel the single player is miles behind the Modern Warfare games

Hopefully Black Ops doesn't suffer the same

Soldato
This needs to be far more like MW and less like MW2 if there's going to be any chance of me buying it, regardless of whether supermarkets do another £26 stunt or not. MW2 was probably the most disappointing, over-hyped game I've ever bought, but I really enjoyed MW so if they can get it right, they'll have a rather good game on their hands.

Soldato
The "barebones" playlist is something I've wanted for years. And will transform COD for me. Perks and KS has always been the thing that's kept the games feeling classic for me.

Caporegime
Yeah that is what I meant the inclusion of an option to not have any is a welcome bit of news.

Reading the ign preview looks like treyarch have taken set pieces from mw again.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am really not believing too much of that quote from cod7 site. It sounds flaming excellent. How will there be a server browser on the console version if it is a host system? Or is this only for pc?

Fingers crossed Treyarch. They have a huge chance to capitalize here on making a truly excellent game. Regardless of whether it is good or not, people will buy it, so, PLEASE BE GOOD. :)

Back
Top Bottom